COMPLETE: History of the Christian church by S. Cheetham -kb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Edits made to section 20 and uploaded. Time change on the section to 19:01.

I did all but the edit at 4:41.

Actually, at 1:48, I think I DID say "from" but it was so fast, it was hard to understand. It was an easy edit to make. I like when a word is its own little waveform, unattached to the words around it. Those are a LOT easier to edit!

I did find it harder to match my voice on the edits. Hopefully it's not too distracting.

Thanks for doing the proofing, Joe!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

Section 37:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kb/historychristianchurch_37_cheetham.mp3

24.5Mb, 26:51

note to echobase77: I ended my reading on page 407 on the section labeled 'III'. So when you start section 38 you can pick it up from there.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

echobase77

Post by echobase77 »

JoeD wrote:
note to echobase77: I ended my reading on page 407 on the section labeled 'III'. So when you start section 38 you can pick it up from there.
thanks for letting me know!
"Only fear the Lord and serve Him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things He has done for you." I Samuel 12:24
echobase77 on twitter
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 43 (Chron. Table)

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kb/historychristianchurch_43_cheetham.mp3

(22:43)

On this one, please make sure I pronounce the names at least halfway correct (if you know how they're supposed to be pronounced). There were a lot of names in the timeline!

My mic was giving me some very minor distortions at the beginning of the reading, then resolved itself further in. Some of the F's and P's are a little strong (but not true pops). Please let me know if it's distracting.

Thanks!
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

I am so delighted about how fast this project is progressing! Immense thanks to all!

K. :9:
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

TriciaG wrote:Section 43 (Chron. Table)

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kb/historychristianchurch_43_cheetham.mp3

On this one, please make sure I pronounce the names at least halfway correct (if you know how they're supposed to be pronounced). There were a lot of names in the timeline!
Holy smokes - congratulations for taking on this tough read..!! I listened to your pronounciation - I did not pay too much attention to stresses or vowels - for instance I stress 'Augustin' and 'Chrysostom' very differently from you - as I think that is more a function of regional accent.

So I paid more attention to consonants, enunciation and consistant pronounciation. Believe me, I am no expert, but I double checked my dictionary on these and I am fairly certain these are correct:

2:56 Basilides – The last syllable is enunciated. - Bas-il-EYE-deez

3:04 Aristides – The last syllable is enunciated. - Ar-ist-EYE-deez

3:50 Hegesippus – the ‘g’ is hard as in ‘guess’

5:03 Celsus – the ‘C’ is hard as in ‘call’

6:13 Diocletian – the ‘ti’ is pronounced as a soft ‘sh’ (also at 6:33, 6:46)

6:54 – Militian – the ‘ti’ is pronounced as a soft ‘sh’ - this is the same as the word ‘militia’

9:44 Photinus – long ‘o’ as in Photo (however, you do pronounce it properly at 10:16)

18:22 – Filioque – the last syllable is enunciated. Fil-ee-OH-kay (also at 22:26)

I did not hear any distortions at all. Your recording sounded great as always..!!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Actually, except for some of the name pronunciations, I found the chronological table a lot easier to read than the chapters. There are natural breaks; I don't have to worry too much about how a sentence is supposed to sound (where the emphasis and pauses should be) since there are so few sentences! Some of those sentences in the chapters are honkin' long and with commas where they SHOULDN'T be and missing commas where they SHOULD be! Argh! LOL!

I'll be working on the edits. Thanks for the tips!

As for "Augustin" - I've heard it pronounced two ways: Ah-GUS-tin or Aw-gus-TEEN. Since I personally have heard both, I stuck with the one I'm most comfortable doing. 8-)
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

TriciaG wrote:Some of those sentences in the chapters are honkin' long and with commas where they SHOULDN'T be and missing commas where they SHOULD be! Argh! LOL!
Yeah, but I think it was the style of the time. I recently read Lea's History of the Inquisition of the Middle Ages on google books and let me tell you Lea makes Cheetham look like Dr Suess. Some of the sentences in that book take up an entire paragraph..!! Believe it or not, I actually enjoy reading that style, but you are right about the recording - brutal stuff..!!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

PL notes:

21 seconds of silence @ beginning. Needs to cut down to around 1 sec.

14:33 - read "from those who are marked merely as men" should be "ranked merely as men"

15:24 - read "The names, whether of those saints whose intercession we asked" should be "intercession was asked"
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Uploaded the corrected section 43. I did also change a couple other things (taken pronunciations from the PL of your last section). I didn't note the times, but the years in the chron table, if you want to check them:

years c. 500 and 532: changed pronunciation of Dionysius Exiguus

553: changed pronunciation of diptychs

New time on section: 22:44
Uploading now; give it a few minutes if you happen to be online and champing at the bit! 8-)
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

TriciaG wrote:Uploaded the corrected section 43. I did also change a couple other things (taken pronunciations from the PL of your last section). I didn't note the times, but the years in the chron table, if you want to check them:

years c. 500 and 532: changed pronunciation of Dionysius Exiguus

553: changed pronunciation of diptychs

New time on section: 22:44
Uploading now; give it a few minutes if you happen to be online and champing at the bit! 8-)
Wow, I was paying attention to the years, but totally spazzed on that one. Good catch..!! I also pronounce both Exiguus and diptych differently than you, but since I am not certain of either of those words anyway, I thought it too trivial to worry about.. :?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I only noticed them because I had had such trouble with Exiguus while reading, and then I PL'd your section which had his name and noticed the different pronunciation. :wink:

Is section 43 OK to catalog?