[COMPLETE] The Raven - Multilingual - pw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

The Raven by Edgar Alan Poe. [Translated by Various Translators].

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-raven-multilingual-by-edgar-allan-poe/
The Raven, by Edgar Alan Poe, is one of the most famous poems ever written. First published in 1845, it was soon reprinted, illustrated, emulated, becoming one of the icons of American literature and giving its author immediate and lasting fame. Its popularity is represented in this collection, that brings together the original poem and a series of translations by various translators, who tried to bring the musicality, theme and atmosphere of "The Raven" to their native languages. (Summary by Leni)

1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: January 14th 2009 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. Please note that if we haven't heard from you for two months, your section(s) will automatically be re-opened for other readers. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): Links in the magic window! :)
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested:Standard Proof-listening
    -- Do the intro and disclaimer match the instructions in the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time.
    -- Are there any stumbles or repeats that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time.
    -- Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading?
    -- Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?)
    -- Are the correct closing words used at the end of the recording, as per the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there 5 seconds of silence (10 if the recording is more than 30 minutes long) at the end of the file?

======================================================

(Window admin)
    =======================================================
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "[Poem title] by Edgar Alan Poe, translated by [Translator's name] read for librivox DOT org in [language] by [your name]" or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish.

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of poem. This recording is in the public domain"
      Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
    • Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!]
    AFTER recording:
    • Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3 (or later). of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    • Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      raven_##_translatorsurname_readersinitials.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. raven_16_assis_aa.mp3)
    • ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
      Artist: Edgar Alan Poe / [Translator's name]
      Album: The Raven (Multilingual)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

For people recording the original, in English - just use Poe for the file name and ID Tag. :wink:
    Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: pw - PaulW
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :D
Last edited by Leni on February 23rd, 2009, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leni
=================
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Okay, Leni, the Window's set up. I'd suggest linking the poems in the Title column, rather than the Notes column. Same method, just use basic html.

As far as being searchable, I'll be adding compilation information to the project, so each reading will be searchable. What we could do is list the author as "E. A. Poe, trans. by [translator's name]. That way the translator's name will also be searchable, since the search engine searches on partial strings.

In order for me to do the compilation table, I'll need the section number, the title of the poem, the author (/translator), and the source (url). If you want to PM that all to me, that's ok, or if you want to do up a spreadsheet and email it, that would be even better. I can also put links to the translators on the catalog page, but I'll have to hand-code those in, and if they're to non-english Wikipedia entries, I'll need to know what language the Wiki entry is in (I'll put that in parenthesis behind the name).
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks, Paul!

I will add the links to the title then. I'm not very good with spreadsheets, but I will find a good soul to help me with that, and email all the info to you. :D

Also, I'll be adding the readers who had already claimed sections in the thread in Book Suggestions. :)
Leni
=================
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Sounds good. If you're not that comfortable with spreadsheetes, just PM me with the info,
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
Rooftrellen

Post by Rooftrellen »

I will read it. The Raven is a good one. :twisted:

Ok, maybe not THAT evil...

I am an American, as well, for one of the English readings.

Edit: I can't leave out Mr. Green! It just isn't possible! :mrgreen:
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

:lol:

Ok, I'll add you as section 1 then. Thanks!

Also, we're open for business! However, I am in hope that the Russian reader will tell me the title of the poem and the name of the translator, so I can add it to the Magic Window and to the database. :shock: The link up there is from Wikisource, and Kikisaulite said it's PD.

Thanks!
Leni
=================
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hi Leni,

May I record Rollinat's French version?
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Woohoo! :D
Karen S.
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hi Leni,

I went ahead.
Here is is: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/pw/raven_08_rollinat_ezwa.mp3 (8:08 (for section 08 ;^))).
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »

Didier

Post by Didier »

ezwa wrote:Hi Leni,

I went ahead.
Here is is: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/pw/raven_08_rollinat_ezwa.mp3 (8:08 (for section 08 ;^))).
"Lucky Luke" Ezwa, who records faster than her microphone Image
[i]I called the project a book, but in fact it wasn't a book at all.[/i] [size=75](Paul Auster: The Brooklyn Follies)[/size]
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Wow, Ezwa was really fast!

Thanks a lot!
Leni
=================
Aldor

Post by Aldor »

Leni,

I claim for section seven : the Raven translated in french by Mallarmé.

Aldor
[b][color=red][url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=1817]Aldor[/url][/color][/b]
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Sure! Thanks, Aldor!
Leni
=================
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hi Leni,

A fourth French version is available, translated by Sir John George Tollemache Sinclair, published in 1912 in Larmes et sourires : poésies originales et traduites des chefs-d'oeuvre de la poésie anglaise, p219. It's available on Gallica.
Didier wrote:"Lucky Luke" Ezwa [...]
Leni wrote:Wow, Ezwa was really fast!
If only it could be. :|
Ezwa

Boileau

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Ooh, interesting! Thanks, Ezwa!

Paul, do you think you could add another line to the MW, please? I know I'll have to transfer the data manually, but I think it's worth it. :)

Edit: Actually, Paul, don't. :P I had news of another (PD!) Portuguese translation. I'll check it and then you can maybe add two lines? 8-)
Leni
=================