COMPLETE - Mother Goose for Grownups by Wetmore Carryl - lb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

10 The Inexcusable Improbity of Tom, the Piper’s Son uploaded. Allow me to apologise for the appalling Scots accent, which sounds like a pale version of Janet in Dr Finlay's Casebook. (I know, I know... that was on the TV before you were all born, yada yada)

Upload URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lb/gooseforgrownups_10_carryl.mp3
Duration: 3:35
Size: 3.27 Mb

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
leonid

Post by leonid »

I'll do Little Boy Blue, number 9
dgf

Post by dgf »

fink

Post by fink »

Sec 9 for you Leonid :D welcome!

Ruth & David, thanks you two :) perfect!
Joseph
luciburg

Post by luciburg »

Wow!!!! This is ready to move over to Readers found :)
[b]There are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet.[/b]
leonid

Post by leonid »

I have a question that I hope some one can answer for me. My section contains the line "and utterly inutile toots." Does any one know if I pronounce "inutile" as "in-oo-tal" or "in-yoo-tal?"
fink

Post by fink »

Hi leonid
I`d say it - in-you-til
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inutile?r=75
Parrot

Post by Parrot »

fink wrote:Welcome Parrot "Jilted Jack" is all yours :D
Joseph

PS
If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
Yes, this is my first recording. Using Parrot is fine with me. You can link to my website here: http://www.theniftyfiles.com

In any case, even though I'm fairly certain that my amateurish attempt will bring the whole project down, here's the file:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lb/gooseforgrownups_02_Carryl.mp3
3.2mb 3:29

I hope I followed all the instructions correctly. :)
Last edited by Parrot on October 1st, 2008, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luciburg

Post by luciburg »

Tale 17 The Remarkable Regimen of the Sprat Family
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lb/gooseforgrownups_17_carryl.mp3

Lucy :)
[b]There are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet.[/b]
fink

Post by fink »

Thank you luciburg - sounds great :D

@ Parrot
Thanks Parrot.
Its a great recording, there are a couple of very mild plosives where you are too near the mic when you say a word beging with P or B,but they don`t disturb the flow of the reading to my ear.
Excellent!
Julila

Post by Julila »

Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Mr. Wooster, how would you support a wife? Well, I suppose it depends on whose wife it was, a little gentle pressure beneath the elbow while crossing a busy street usually fits the bill. (P.G. Wodehouse)
fink

Post by fink »

Thank you Julila - wonderful recording :D
Joseph
Parrot

Post by Parrot »

fink wrote:@ Parrot
Thanks Parrot.
Its a great recording, there are a couple of very mild plosives where you are too near the mic when you say a word beging with P or B,but they don`t disturb the flow of the reading to my ear.
Excellent!
Thanks. I noticed those as well, I tried to fix up a couple of the worst of them.

Problem is I need to get close enough to the microphone to get a good enough volume, but then when I do it's hard to keep those plosives from coming through. Maybe I need to fiddle around with some settings or get myself a new microphone.

Any tips?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Parrot wrote: Maybe I need to fiddle around with some settings or get myself a new microphone.

Any tips?
First an apology. I accidentally hit "Edit" your post instead of "Quote". :oops: You can tell I am a new admin. I put it back how it was. :)

Your mic sounds fine, it sounds more like mic technique. Some of them sound like mic bumps to me. The mic is very sensitive, so make sure you don't touch it or the cables while you are recording. Believe it or not, I sit on my hands to make sure I don't do this!

With regard to the volume, have you checked out the volume setting in Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices | Audio | Voice | Voice Recording Volume. Push the slider up to the top. (I am assuming you are using Windows, if not a Mac/Linux enthusiast will help.) Also, position yourself so that you don't speak directly AT the mic. This will help avoiding plosives. Or get or make a pop shield - some good tips here.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Parrot

Post by Parrot »

RuthieG wrote:First an apology. I accidentally hit "Edit" your post instead of "Quote". :oops: You can tell I am a new admin. I put it back how it was. :)
Not a problem, I know how that is. They really should move those two buttons to different areas.
Your mic sounds fine, it sounds more like mic technique. Some of them sound like mic bumps to me. The mic is very sensitive, so make sure you don't touch it or the cables while you are recording. Believe it or not, I sit on my hands to make sure I don't do this!
Thanks for the tips. I'm actually trying out a new microphone right now which seems to allow me to hold it at a larger distance and still pick up my voice relatively well. I had to hold the old one much closer so I think this might do the trick.

But I very much appreciate the tips and I will reference them if I run into any problems.