[CLASSICS] Heroides, by Publius Ovidius Naso -km

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Heroides by Publius Ovidius Naso.

This book was cataloged on July 14, 2009. The audio files have been transferred to Internet Archive and are available at: http://librivox.org/heroides-by-ovid/

The Heroides, also known as the Heroines, the Letters of the Heroines or simply as Epistles are a very famous collection of poems by Ovid, not only for their interesting subject - letters by famous mythological characters addressed to their beloved ones - but also because it's considered by some the first example of the Epistle as a literary genre - a statement made by Ovid himself in his Ars Amatoria. The book as we have it nowadays consists of 21 letters, divided in two parts. The first is composed of fifteen letters presented as if written by a female mythological character to her lover; the second part, also known as Double Heroides, brings three pairs of letters, being the first in each pair supposedly written by a hero, and the second one, the heroine's response to the first letter. Along with the Metamorphoses and the Ars Amatoria, the Heroides were one of the most influential works of Ovid, not only in the Antiquity, but also throughout the Middle Ages and up to Modern times.(Summary by Leni)

============================================
The letters you will be reading assume a knowledge of mythology not very common today. So, if you would like to get acquainted with the stories referred to in the material you will be reading, see below:

Section 1 - Penelope, Trojan War
Section 2 - Phyllis, Demophoon (King of Athens)
Section 3 - Briseis, Achilles, Trojan War
Section 4 - Phaedra(mythology), Hippolytus (mythology)
Section 5 - Oenone, Trojan War
Section 6 - Hypsipyle, Jason
Section 7 - Dido (queen of Carthage), Aeneid
Section 8 - Orestes (mythology), Hermione (mythology)
Section 9 - Deianira
Section 10 - Ariadne, Theseus
Section 11 - Canace, Aeolus
Section 12 - Medea, Jason
Section 13 - Protesilaus, Trojan War
Section 14 - Hypermnestra, Lynceus
Section 15 - Phaon,Sappho
Section 16 - Helen, Trojan War
Section 17 - Helen, Trojan War
Section 18 - Hero and Leander
Section 19 - Hero and Leander
Section 20 - Acontius
Section 21 - Acontius
============================================
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: July 15th 2009 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.

Please, try to submit your recording within a month of claiming it. After one month of claiming the section, please let me know if you still intend to record it, or I will consider it as orphaned. Thanks!
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text: http://perseus.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.02.0085
    But please read only from the individual text files linked to the box below.
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested:
    Standard Proof-listening
    -- Do the intro and disclaimer match the instructions in the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time.
    -- Are there any stumbles or repeats that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time.
    -- Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading?
    -- Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?)
    -- Are the correct closing words used at the end of the recording, as per the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there 5 seconds of silence (10 if the recording is more than 30 minutes long) at the end of the file?

In this book, there are letters written by a female character and letters written by a male character. I think it'd be nice if we could have female and male voices matching the characters, if possible. So, please, observe the indications of male/female beside each section before claiming a section. Thanks!

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you read the disclaimer in the beginning and end of your recording, as written in each of the section links posted in the window:
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    heroides_##_ovid.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number.

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title] (e.g. 01 - Penelope to Ulysses)
    Artist: Ovid
    Album: Heroides

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: km - kmerline
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :D
Last edited by Leni on February 8th, 2009, 11:53 am, edited 9 times in total.
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

Oh, wonderful, Leni! Can I read Briseis to Achilles and Helen to Paris, please?
rd
English is the lingua franca par excellence
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

russiandoll wrote:Oh, wonderful, Leni! Can I read Briseis to Achilles and Helen to Paris, please?
rd
Oooh, sections claimed before the MW is up!

Sure thing, those sections are yours. And I think I'm keeping Medea to myself. :twisted:

Now, would you happen to know any Paris who would be willing to write...errr... read a letter to you, Helen? :mrgreen:
Leni
=================
kristin

Post by kristin »

Can I read 10: Ariadne to Theseus?
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Wow, great going! I think I'm done with the M.C. part; now Leni can continue!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

kristin wrote:Can I read 10: Ariadne to Theseus?
Sure! :D
Leni
=================
AGSec

Post by AGSec »

Oh dear! Only three male sections - and I think I'm too old for any of them!

Hang on! Is that my underwear on the stick?

:shock:
Graham
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=1868]My Librivox Recordings[/url]
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

AGSec wrote:Oh dear! Only three male sections - and I think I'm too old for any of them!

Hang on! Is that my underwear on the stick?

:shock:
That's the miracle of the recorded word - no one really knows how old you are! Soooo... what section did you claim again? :mrgreen:

Your underwear? :shock:
Leni
=================
AGSec

Post by AGSec »

O.K.. I'll take a chance on Paris. (He's well worth a mess!)

Graham
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=1868]My Librivox Recordings[/url]
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

AGSec wrote:O.K.. I'll take a chance on Paris. (He's well worth a mess!)

[quote=P. Ovidius Naso]Oh ye wretched youth![/quote]

Section 16 is yours! :lol:
Leni
=================
SopranoHarmony

Post by SopranoHarmony »

I'd like to take section 8, Hermione, please. I read a translation of this for a mythology class in high school-- time permitting, you might see me calling for more sections! :D

~Lauren (SopranoHarmony)
- Lauren

Putting myself back on hiatus.
PL (prior, since they're not shown on the catalog page): Indian Child Life (DPL), Plato's Laws (solo)
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

SopranoHarmony wrote:I'd like to take section 8, Hermione, please. I read a translation of this for a mythology class in high school-- time permitting, you might see me calling for more sections! :D

~Lauren (SopranoHarmony)
That's great, section 8 is yours.

Btw, you had a very creative teacher... Hermione is certainly not one of the most famous characters, and the Heroides, as far as I know, aren't the first resource teachers use for Mythology classes - the Metamorphoses are much more common, at least here.
Leni
=================
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

We're off to readers wanted!

Leni, I seem to remember that someone else wrote answers to these letters - but if true, I have no idea what era, of what language?
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

kmerline wrote:We're off to readers wanted!

Leni, I seem to remember that someone else wrote answers to these letters - but if true, I have no idea what era, of what language?
Hmmm...after you mentioned that, it seemed to me that it rang a bell, but I couldn't place it. After some research, I found out that I indeed had heard about replies to the letters, during a conference I attended in 2003 ( :shock: that's why it was just a vague memory...). There are 3 replies written by Sabinus - so, in Latin - in 1567. It seems there is also another reply, "Aeneas to Dido", that appeared in print in 1600, but the authorship is debated. This one, it seems, is in English.

With some more research I could probably find the texts of these letters, but I don't know if they're worth adding to this project.
Leni
=================
SopranoHarmony

Post by SopranoHarmony »

Leni wrote:Btw, you had a very creative teacher... Hermione is certainly not one of the most famous characters, and the Heroides, as far as I know, aren't the first resource teachers use for Mythology classes - the Metamorphoses are much more common, at least here.
Oh, I remember now! We did book projects in Latin class (same teacher as myth) and I read the entire Heroides for one of those. It was partly because I was doing myth as an independent study at the same time, reading the Metamorphoses (yes, the more common choice)...

... but my teacher certainly was a creative one. That's part of the reason that one of my majors is classics.
- Lauren

Putting myself back on hiatus.
PL (prior, since they're not shown on the catalog page): Indian Child Life (DPL), Plato's Laws (solo)