[CHANGED] voltaire name in catalog

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

how would you like it listed?
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

I'd vote for just plain old "Voltaire".

You could have maybe "Voltaire (Arouet, François Marie)".

The way we have it at the moment
Voltaire, François Marie Arouet, dit
is as if Voltaire it the surname (which it isn't) and François, Marie and Arouet are the three given names to go with it (which they aren't). The name is either Voltaire or François Marie Arouet. But we seem to have a weird amalgam of the two.

Then we have the word "dit", which just seems inappropriate, since the rest of the catalogue isn't written in French. I think the way it's used is gramatically wrong anyway - if it's going to be used at all it would be "Arouet, François Marie, dit Voltaire".

But why not just "Voltaire". It's a pen-name.

Seems to me a good comparitor would be George Elliot. Her real name is Mary Ann Evans. But we don't have an entry in the cataolgue for "Elliot, Mary Ann Evans George" (because it would be wrong).

Cheers,
Carl.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

How about "Voltaire (Arouet, François Marie)"?

The English language Wikipedia entry says that Voltaire was a pen name that he took for daily use, as well.
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
enko

Post by enko »

Why so many posts about a name?
Cori

Post by Cori »

We're all librarians at heart, enko. :lol:

(I like the brackets. Is like Nesbit, E. (Edith) ... sure Edith was her name, but it's not what she published under, so ... )
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

I'd go for "Voltaire (Arouet, François Marie)", but really don't mind "Voltaire".

Same with "Molière (Poquelin, Jean-Baptiste)" or "Molière", which is what's in the catalogue.
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Stickying first post as this appears unresolved.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Looks like "Voltaire (Arouet, François Marie)" is most popular from the straw poll above, such as it is. I'm not able to implement it though. Unless there are any objections, would someone like to volunteer?

EDIT: Although maybe Ezwa's point about Moliere is relevant - is being consistent the most important thing? In which case, we should go for "Voltaire".
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Okay, I've gone ahead and changed it. I'll leave this sticky for a short while in case there are any further objections or comments.

Cheers,
Carl.

PS I don't know what exactly I was thinking of when I claimed above not to be able to do it...