Dry mouth while reading. What to do?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Didier

Post by Didier »

Hi everybody!

The question I’d like to ask has probably been already answered in another thread—and I must confess that I haven’t checked all the threads in this forum. But I dare ask it:

I usually drink water when reading. But I still have the feeling this is not the right thing to do. My mouth keeps being a bit dry, and after a while my belly begins to sing while I am reading—too much water, probably. (When I was a kid, my grandfather used to say that too much water would produced frogs in the belly. And only recently I understood what he really meant.)

Does anyone here have a good advice on how to avoid a dry mouth while reading?

Thank you in advance.
Didier
[i]I called the project a book, but in fact it wasn't a book at all.[/i] [size=75](Paul Auster: The Brooklyn Follies)[/size]
kristin

Post by kristin »

When I'm feeling very dry and water isn't helping I'll have a little apple juice and that seems to help or a bite or two of an apple. Another option is to find a cough drop (like Ricola) that isn't all sugar (the sugar will just make you gummy) but don't have it all at once, just a little then put it back in the paper and repeat as you start feeling dry.
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

I find that a lip balm sometimes helps, and ditto on the Ricola throat thingees.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

Make sure you're properly hydrated. It can take hours from the time you drink for the water to rehydrate you properly. So plan ahead.

Apples help me. I like tootsie roll pops, too.
Daniel, the Cylon
([url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2136]LV Profile[/url])
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I'd second what Kristin says, plus avoid coffee and other caffeinated beverages before recording, as well as milk and other dairy, and chocolate. I have many bags of sugar-free Ricolas. A break every half-hour and one of those does the trick.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

What!!! .... no chocolate :shock: :evil: :help: :hmm:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Didier

Post by Didier »

Kristin: I tried the cough drop today, and it worked. I forgot to buy apples but I had a nectarine, and it seemed to be fine--maybe a little bit too juicy, though.
aradlaw: I haven't tested the lip balm yet, but I will.
Great Plains: a planned hydration is of course a vital point. I have to be more aware of it.
sjmarky: argh... I rarely drink coffee but a lot of black tea.

Thank you again to all of you for your good advices. I not only know that I did something wrong, I know now what it was.
[i]I called the project a book, but in fact it wasn't a book at all.[/i] [size=75](Paul Auster: The Brooklyn Follies)[/size]
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

aradlaw wrote:What!!! .... no chocolate :shock: :evil: :help: :hmm:
After recording, of course!

My website
My Librivox reader page
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Apples and apple juice supposedly match your mouth's PH mostly closely, providing hydration without drooling, but if other fruits or juices work for you go for it. I lean towards something a little tarter, like cranberry.

Switch to juice at least a half hour before recording, or non-caffeinated herbal tea. Lemon or mint are popular. You don't realize how much caffeine dries you out until you read for a little while, and then it seems like it's too late and juice doesn't help.

My website
My Librivox reader page
kristin

Post by kristin »

Woo... cranberry? Really? I love cranberry juice but if I have any I know I won't be recording that day. It makes my throat tight.

Didier - I drink a lot of black tea too. Just make sure you're countering it with enough plain water to hydrate you.
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
Didier

Post by Didier »

kristin wrote:Didier - I drink a lot of black tea too. Just make sure you're countering it with enough plain water to hydrate you.
I will! Recording for LibriVox isn't just recording, I reckon ;-)
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

Didier wrote:
kristin wrote:Didier - I drink a lot of black tea too. Just make sure you're countering it with enough plain water to hydrate you.
I will! Recording for LibriVox isn't just recording, I reckon ;-)
Haha. Yeah. :lol:

LibriVox is a Lifestyle.

8-)
Daniel, the Cylon
([url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2136]LV Profile[/url])
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

kristin wrote:Woo... cranberry? Really? I love cranberry juice but if I have any I know I won't be recording that day. It makes my throat tight.
I have the same problem with a double-shot mocha cappuccino with whip and sprinkles - two of those and I'm on narrator IR.

My website
My Librivox reader page
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

sjmarky wrote:
kristin wrote:Woo... cranberry? Really? I love cranberry juice but if I have any I know I won't be recording that day. It makes my throat tight.
I have the same problem with a double-shot mocha cappuccino with whip and sprinkles - two of those and I'm on narrator IR.
Yup. All that, and a half bottle of hearty Zinfandel, and I definitely have to wait till the next day.
[size=84][color=#483d8b][b]Is it weird in here, or is it just me? [/b][/color][/size]- [size=75][i]Steven Wright[/size][/i]