[RESOLVED] David Copperfield - Ch 39 is a repeat of Ch 25

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

We have narrowed this down to an Archive.org problem, and will pm them for assistance.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

i've contacted archive.org about this... news to come.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

I just tried to again to replace the defective files, at 12:42 pm central daylight time, using the ftp address ia360924.us.archive.org

Again using Smart FTP, I received the responses reported before - same responses as each time I've tried.
Skink

Post by Skink »

Just a FYI that chapters 24,40,47 and 56 can not be found from the RSS feed.

Thanks for all the work being done, and the enjoyment we receive...
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Thank you so much for your interest, Skink. We are at something of on impasse with Internet Archive, where are completed books are kept.

Having received reports of problems with the 4 files you mention, I asked our volunteers to redo them. About a month ago, I attempted to upload them to the completed book and re-derive the zip file, etc.

The first step is to delete the zip file and the problem files, so I did that, and they are deleted. Despite repeated attempts to upload the good files, and several communications with Internet Archive, we not gotten the replacement upload to work so far. :evil:

I share your frustration and that of all listeners who have experienced problems! -- and I will keep trying to resolve them.
Skink

Post by Skink »

Thanks kmerline?. You "guys" are great. Please keep up the good work.
I had a "funny" experience today when I attempted to use the RSS feed for Moby Dick, and Deadeye Dick. They were both blocked by the work ISP, I will continue this evening. It is amazing the you can download Podcasts that are really rank, but can't download a classic.
I look forward to Copperfield being complete.

Thanks again...
DebraLynn

Post by DebraLynn »

Skink,

It took me a few seconds to catch up, but then I L'dOL for about 5 minutes. :lol:

-Debbie
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=1166][b][color=violet]"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" (Groucho Marx)[/color][/b][/url]
Skink

Post by Skink »

Thanks Debralynn.

I am glad that there is some appreciation of humor even in classics. I have been downloading for a few months, but just got involved in messaging on this site. I wish that I was able to read and volunteer within the group, but I guess I will have to continue sucking the work of others.

Skink.

PS I do wish there was a place to download the "non Classic" books that are on the market.
DebraLynn

Post by DebraLynn »

Skink wrote:I am glad that there is some appreciation of humor even in classics.
I'm a big fan of humor. I love to laugh and I've found plenty of LV recordings that keep me in stitches--sometimes until my sides hurt.
Skink wrote:PS I do wish there was a place to download the "non Classic" books that are on the market.
There are web sites like that. My brother does it all the time. BUT, unlike LibriVox, you have to pay for those.

I've known for years that there were a lot of great books written in the 19th century and before. But I keep finding more and more of them as I download and listen to LV recordings and look for books to record myself. I don't think there's much contemporary literature that's better than some of the stuff I've been listening to lately. I am constantly amazed that, no matter how many years have gone by, some things have never changed.

If you ever do get a chance to do some recording yourself (as I hope you will), beware that it is very addictive. You have been warned. :wink:

-Debbie
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=1166][b][color=violet]"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" (Groucho Marx)[/color][/b][/url]
Skink

Post by Skink »

I have been a heavy reader since about the 4th grade, but did not like reading lists. Ian Flemming was more to my liking. Now at 64 I have started over with the classics and thoroughly enjoying everything from Tarzan to Tom Sawyer. It is a shame that more people don't enjoy the hours of pleasure (especially when stuck in traffic). One of the few that I enjoyed then and now are the Tom Swift series, but they can't compare to the Jules Verne series.

Thanks again for your (and all the other readers) work for Librivox.
byronw

Post by byronw »

I'm getting the automated feed every 3 days or so. Chapter 23 did not come through with iTunes. Got the exclamation point. Clicking on Refresh in iTunes doesn't work. Going to David Copperfield here on LibriVox and clicking on it fails after about 2 seconds also.
Looks like there may still be a corrupt file.
byron
Quote of previous message follows:
The interest in this project is so gratifying - it reminds me that our efforts are not going into a vacuum. Here is a detailed progress report:
Fixes are underway for Chapters 23, 39, 46, and 55.
I really do apologize for all the glitches in this project!

Regards,
Karen Merline[/quote]
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

You are correct - sadly, nothing has changed.

Hugh is in frequent communication with Internet Archive, and just last Tuesday I again sent a full description of what happens when I try to upload the corrected files.

We are doing what we can, but this is very frustrating. I do appreciate your concern, and am gratified by your interest.

Please keep your fingers crossed that the latest attempt gets results!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Karen,

I had some spare time tonight so I decided to have another try at uploading these files. Chapters 23, 39, 46 & 55 are therefore now finally reuploaded and the project is rederived. :D

Jo
Jo
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

YAAAAYYYYY.....!!!!
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Jo, if there is anything I can ever do to help you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Either the problem mysteriously righted itself, or they fixed it and didn't notify us.

I was looking to reup the whole book, and had asked for reassurance that the first version could be completely erased so the two versions wouldn't be confused.