[RESOLVED] Cannot open the LibriVox website!!!

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Hello,
Today, I tried to search the Librivox catalog but I cannot open the Librivox website. It is 12:17 kst here in Seoul, South Korea, and I am failing to load the website.
Whenever I try to open the Librivox main page or the catalog, I get the following error message:
"Cannot open http://www.librivox.org/newcatalog website. The loading has been stopped."
Also, I get a 404 error immediately after the above message.
Fortunately, I can still open the LibriVox Forum website without any problem, so I can alert the Librivox admins about this on the forums.
I use Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6.0.
What happened to your website? I am very concerned if any bad thing happened. Please reply to my message as soon as possible.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Hmm... it's working just fine for me (at 4:30 GMT)
Karen S.
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Still cannot open the Librivox main page and the catalog page. Why?
I must search the catalog for an audiobook which I will listen to in my bedtime.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

If you can't access it via the main librivox page, you might try via archive.org (that is where the files are kept... we just link to them in our catalog).
Karen S.
kristin

Post by kristin »

I just tried it with ie7 and it's doing the same thing. This is not good. No problem with firefox though.
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

I've been getting a similar error with IE 7 on Vista for about an hour or so, also. It happens whenever I try to open the main page, or any of the catalog pages. I can, however, get to the forums without problem.

I can also access all of LV with Safari, either as new windows, or in additional tabs. This may be a problem with Internet Explorer only. I'd suggest trying either Safari, Firefox, or some other browser to see if you can access the pages. But this is definitely something to check out.
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Thank you for all of your replies.
kristin wrote:I just tried it with ie7 and it's doing the same thing. This is not good.
Not good? It's terrible!!!
PaulW wrote:I can also access all of LV with Safari, either as new windows, or in additional tabs. This may be a problem with Internet Explorer only. I'd suggest trying either Safari, Firefox, or some other browser to see if you can access the pages.
Do you use a screen reader? If so, could you tell me which it is?
I must use a screen reader because I am totally blind, and the FireFox, Safari, or any other browsers are not compatible with my screen reader.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Rita, I use Zoomtext 9.1, but in the magnifier-only mode. I haven't needed the screen reader part of it (yet), as I can get by with about a 3x magnification of the screen.
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
kristin

Post by kristin »

Rita, if you have an idea what you want to listen to I'll go find a download link for you.
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

I'm seeing the same thing with IE7. No problems with Firefox.

Using a different browser is not a fix. It's a work-around...

So, the question is: What changed? Any sysop shenanigans ongoing?

Jim
kristin

Post by kristin »

I've sent Dan a message about this.
DigiSage

Post by DigiSage »

I'm looking into it now.
DigiSage

Post by DigiSage »

I believe it's fixed. Please try it again. You need to empty your cache, first, before it will start working. (Go to IE, then Tools menu, then Internet Options, then click "Delete Files" and click OK.)

The problem seems to be related to sitemeter.com, a service that librivox uses to keep track of how many visits the site gets and other statistical information. Librivox uses this service by embedding a javascript file (hosted by sitemeter) into our code. Apparently they modified this file recently and it is disturbing IE.

My fix was to simply remove all traces to sitemeter from our code. Unfortunately this means we can't use their stats service until they get their stuff fixed, but it's waaaaaay more important that the site works for everyone :)

Please let me know if you're still having problems.
kristin

Post by kristin »

I got ie 7 working. No problems. Thanks Dan. :D
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

THANK YOU!!!
It is running smoothly now.
Thank you for your help. Sorry for deleting the code, though.