[COMPLETE] James Joyce in Context, Vol. 1: Telemachus- tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

James Joyce in Context, Vol. 1: TELEMACHUS.

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/james-joyce-in-context-vol-01-telemachus/
This is a project invented and created by LibriVox volunteers. It collects the various works which James Joyce quotes and refers to in his epic novel "Ulysses," and provides them in audio form. Perfect for Joyce scholars, fans, and aficionados! (Summary by Kirsten Ferreri)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: August 15, 2009, but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. Please note that if we haven't heard from you for two months, your section(s) will automatically be re-opened for other readers. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Each section has a link to the text next to it in the Magic Window. Please read only from the version linked to!
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "[Title of reading] by [author]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "James Joyce in Context, Vol. 1: Telemachus. [Title of reading] by [author]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Title of reading]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      End of "James Joyce in Context, Vol. 1: Telemachus."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    joyceincontext01_##_title.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. titleinoneword_01_authorsurname.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Various
    Album: James Joyce in Context, Vol 01: Telemachus

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ct - Caeristhiona
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Caeristhiona on March 12th, 2009, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
ontheroad

Post by ontheroad »

Cool concept, Caet.
I'm curious about which book or reference did you pull these from?

I'll bite the bullet and read the whole chapter (section 52)

I enjoyed very much the previous project that was read in pubs and bars across the world. You did a nice and 'breathless' job with the Aeolus chapter.
veni vidi vici
Check out my library! http://www.librarything.com/catalog/ontheroad
ink tree

Post by ink tree »

Yay, I'm glad this is happening! It looked like the coolest thing ever when I saw it in book suggestions. I've never actually read any James Joyce, so I'd feel rather hypocritical participating myself, but good luck!

Editedit: oh shoot I take it back. This just looks too interesting. I promise it'll inspire me to read James Joyce. Can I take section 22? And my mum can read section 03.
Last edited by ink tree on July 28th, 2008, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Awesome, OTR!

I got it from a variety of places, mostly Gifford because he's so exhaustive but a couple other spots as well. The idea was mostly birthed while I was working on a paper for J3. (I'm heading into Joyce studies as a PhD topic, so that's sort of my explanation and excuse for this whole idea.)

Of course other suggestions and ideas are always welcome; this seemed like the most absolutely basic of lists to me. I tried to stick to texts that Joyce either quotes or directly references.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

ink tree wrote:Yay, I'm glad this is happening! It looked like the coolest thing ever when I saw it in book suggestions. I've never actually read any James Joyce, so I'd feel rather hypocritical participating myself, but good luck!

Edit: for section 03 do you mean to actually record it in Greek? If so my mum can do it.

Editedit: oh shoot I take it back. This just looks too interesting. I promise it'll inspire me to read James Joyce. Can I take section ?
Which section, ink tree? Hehe, it looks like it got deleted.

Yeah, I do mean in actual Greek (or Latin or Italian or German or whatever the listed language is). If your mum wants to jump in here we'd love to have her!
-- Jeffrey Rowland
ink tree

Post by ink tree »

I wasn't quick enough in re-re-editing my post. Section 22, if that's okay! And I'll make an account for her just now.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Alright, you're signed up. Your mom is welcome to any and all Greek she finds here. (Of course the amount of Greek will replenish as we move slowly but surely through the book.)
-- Jeffrey Rowland
ink tree

Post by ink tree »

Awesome, thanks!

Alright, her username is soulid.
anne21

Post by anne21 »

Can I take the Nicene Creed in Latin? I've sung it in choir often enough....

Which of the two Latin versions in the text would you like recorded?

Anne
___
'Of the making of books there is no end.'
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

anne21 wrote:Can I take the Nicene Creed in Latin? I've sung it in choir often enough....

Which of the two Latin versions in the text would you like recorded?

Anne
Certainly, Anne! :) I guess you could try singing it if you really wanted to as well (if the tune was in the public domain...)

I'd prefer the Council of Trent version, which is the one on the right in the link I gave you, since that's the one Joyce would have grown up saying in Mass.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

:roll:
May I ask to do
"Song of Myself" by Walt Whitman: Section 51
:?:
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Cloud Mountain wrote::roll:
May I ask to do
"Song of Myself" by Walt Whitman: Section 51
:?:
Of course you can, Alan. :) I was hoping you'd jump on for this one.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Thanks. It'll give me an opportunity to read it a thoroughly different way.

Also, please, The Age of Fable: "Daedalus" --which I imagine is only the brief section, right?
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Cloud Mountain wrote:Thanks. It'll give me an opportunity to read it a thoroughly different way.

Also, please, The Age of Fable: "Daedalus" --which I imagine is only the brief section, right?
Precisely. All we really need to know is the legend of Daedalus, for obvious reasons. :)
-- Jeffrey Rowland
anne21

Post by anne21 »

Here it is:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ct/joyceincontext01_41_nicenecreed.mp3

Timing is 2:29.

Hope it sounds OK. My Latin is a bit rusty and this is definitely easier sung than read. I think Beethoven did the best setting of this text in his 'Missa Solemnis' where he really brings out the drama in the words describing the cruxifixion and resurrection.

Can I take section 42, the English version?

Anne
___
'Of the making of books there is no end.'