COMPLETE The Merchant of Venice, by William Shakespeare - kh

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kristin

Post by kristin »

aradlaw wrote:Oh, t'would Shakespeare have had a bit more imagination in naming minor characters :roll:
No kidding. I don't know. I've had a look around and it looks like there is some confusion in general regarding these characters. I either need a Shakespeare expert here or would like to wait for asy's opinion on the subject as she is much more familiar with this play than I am.

If you'd like to record something right away Old Gobbo would be a good second choice while we sort this out.
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
timberwolfmage

Post by timberwolfmage »

I've seen a ton of different ways of dividing those two characters up, and about four different names between them...they're rather like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, interchangeable. I would say, personally, to just go with the Gutenberg's version with Salarino and Salanio, though I don't claim to be a "Shakespeare expert." :D
-- [url=http://www.trekandromeda.com][b]Rosalind Wills[/b][/url]
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

kristin wrote:snip...
If you'd like to record something right away Old Gobbo would be a good second choice while we sort this out.
Okay, I will take the part of Old Gobbo.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
kristin

Post by kristin »

Great, I've added you to the window.
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Edit: I forgot that I had already done Stephano, because I'm not listed in the magic window, and I applied for another part. Please ignore this posting.
kristin

Post by kristin »

I've added you for Stephano.
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Old Gobbo has played his part, satisfactory I hope

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kh/merchantofvenice_oldgobbo_act2_shakespeare.mp3

duration: 2:41
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
ChamberMonk

Post by ChamberMonk »

I'm afraid I don't think I have the time to commit to this project I'm afraid. I volunteered then all of a sudden my life got busy :S. I'm really sorry.

ChamberMonk
David O'Connell

Post by David O'Connell »

My apologies that I haven't gotten more of this done in a more timely fashion. My days just opened up again for a while, so I'll try to get the merchant done by the end of August when I hit the books again.
I once knew how to fix mercury, and now I am myself fixed.
asy

Post by asy »

WOW! Wander off for a couple of days and BOOM!!! What ACTION!!! :D

OK... hopefully in order and not missing anything out... :?

Ernst: Thanks for recording so swiftly, nicely done :)

Annoying Twit (who isn't one... :) ) Sounds great to me, but if you want to re-record, that's fine. Please let me know what you want to do and I'll fix the window accordingly, thanks.

Kaffen: Your reading is truly magical. THANK YOU...

Ardlaw: Thanks for taking Old Gobbo. I'll fix the salerio-anio-problem (see below) now...

Chamber Monk: No worries at all, thanks heaps for letting me know. I've removed you from the magic window, but if your life un-busy's please come back :)

David: No worries at all. Remember, our 'deadline' for reading is by the end of 2008, so you have PLENTY of time. No pressure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Salanio/Salerio/Salarino...

I agree with Timberwolfimage, these characters are pretty much interchangeable, and I admit I took my character list from the opensource page as it was simply easier to copy from... :oops:

Since I've stated we're reading from the Gutenberg text, I'll amend the window to reflect that alteration.

The "Salerio" lines in the opensource version are read by "Salanio" in the gutenberg version, so I'll re-assign those lines to Salanio.

Timberwolfimage: I assume these lines are already read as part of your Salanio character, as you were reading from the Gutenberg text? (I'll go have a listen again in a minute, I can't remember... :oops: If not, would you mind dreadfully recording them? (just as a separate file, I'll deal with the fallout when I'm editing...)

Thanks again everyone!

asy :D
To save money on electricity, we've turned off the light at the end of the tunnel...
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

May I have the intimidatingly large part of Leonardo?

And if you would like somebody to take Balthasar just to cross it off your list, I can certainly read that line as well. But I couldn't change my voice to save my life and I don't want to be a hog, so I won't officially request it. :)
Laurie Anne
timberwolfmage

Post by timberwolfmage »

Basically, I read whatever the Gutenberg text told me to. (I'm easily swayed by authoritative-looking 12-point Courier :) )

So if that covers everything I needed to do, then I think I am done. Let me know if there's anything else you need.
-- [url=http://www.trekandromeda.com][b]Rosalind Wills[/b][/url]
adnanmirza

Post by adnanmirza »

Heloo, i would like to take part in "Duke of Venice"

can you please grant me such honour to perform it with myvoice

i hope you will not refuse

i am working in another plays too but i like this role so please let me do it

i shall be very thank full to you

Adnan Mirza
asy

Post by asy »

Chocoholic... Are you sure you'll have time? It's a VERY big part... :lol: :roll:

Adnan... thanks for your volunteering :) I've added you to the magic window...

To save money on electricity, we've turned off the light at the end of the tunnel...
adnanmirza

Post by adnanmirza »

asy wrote:Chocoholic... Are you sure you'll have time? It's a VERY big part... :lol: :roll:

Adnan... thanks for your volunteering :) I've added you to the magic window...

Heloo! well thank you very much indeed,

i will complete my task soon

take care

Adnan Mirza