Problems with Audacity & USB microphone

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

I couldn't find a similar problem through search, so here goes...
I picked up a Logitech USB mic on sale, but I can't get the audio into Audacity. I think Audacity only 'sees' my onboard sound card as its signal source. I'm sure that I have everything else set to the USB setting rather than the onboard SigmaTel Audio, the USB mic is even listed as a device in the SigmaTel Audio settings.

Any suggestions?

Note: I did find a post with a reference to WavePad, this does work with the USB mic using Windows Sound Recorder as the primary audio input, I guess putting the resulting wave file into WavePad for further processing.
WavePad has most of the main features of Audacity (I think).
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

aradlaw, A few questions -

What logitech mic is it? (I have had several with varying qualities)

What operating system are you using?

If Windows, have you set the mic under the sounds menu in the control panel?

Esther (Ontarian just to to north of you {former Bramptonian})
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

There's one other quirk with Audacity, and you may have seen this already. The mic must be plugged in and recognized by your OS before starting Audacity. If Audacity is already running and you plug in the mic, Audacity won't recognize it, even if the system finds it and loads the drivers. And speaking of drivers, if it's a newer model mic and you're running an older version of Windows, you may need to download drivers from Logitech. Win XP and Vista have generic mic drivers included, but 95/98 definitely need additional drivers, and Win2K may, as well.

Under Windows 2000 and up, you should get a "New Hardware Found" dialog or bubble when the mic is inserted...if you don't then either the mic is bad, or the USB port is. My system at work has two USB ports on the front of the case, and neither one will recognize any device...I have a feeling that the ports are not connected to the USB headers on the motherboard, but can't get into the case to check.. Try plugging something else into that port, and see if it is recognized. Try plugging the mic into a USB port that you know is good, and see if Windows recognizes it there.

After Windows recognizes the mic, re-start Audacity and see if the mic shows up in the options box as an input device.

Hope some of this helps...if not, we'll keep trying.
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Hi Esther,

There is no model name as such, just USB Desktop Microphone 9080186-0403 (the only one on their site)
Picked it up today, on sale...couldn't resist :roll:
Winows XP Media Edition (all service packs)
I have set the Sound and Audio Devices/Audio/Sound Recording/AK5370 (the USB mic)
As mentioned, there is a device selection in my sound card control panel, the USB is also set there.
The recording quality in WavePad sounds pretty good.

Good to hear from someone closeby :)

Hi Paul,

Oops, just scrolled down the page before Submitting the above and saw your reply, it triggered a new search in Audacity and the mic now works...
Audacity / Edit / Preferences / Audio I/O / Recording : Device : Windows Direct Sound:AK5370

This in Audacity Beta 1.3.3 Thanks

Dave in Brampton
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

:clap: Glad to hear you managed to get everything working Dave. Happy recording! :D
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

OK so I was sleepy when I wrote my reply. I should have said what Paul said. DUH I know that!

I no longer record on the computer so I gapped that step! Thankfully we have people here who think out their responses before posting! Sheesh! :roll:

Glad you have it sorted! Can you post a sample for us to hear? I am curious about those Logitech mics. I have had one that sounded horrible (Background buzz throughout).

Esther :)
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

Starlite wrote:Can you post a sample for us to hear? I am curious about those Logitech mics. I have had one that sounded horrible (Background buzz throughout).
You can listen to anything of mine, Esther - all done on one of those, no noise-cleaning.
English is the lingua franca par excellence
SmokestackJones

Post by SmokestackJones »

russiandoll wrote:
Starlite wrote:Can you post a sample for us to hear? I am curious about those Logitech mics. I have had one that sounded horrible (Background buzz throughout).
You can listen to anything of mine, Esther - all done on one of those, no noise-cleaning.
Hey russiandoll,

I like, I like! So tell me, what model of Logitech mic are you using and do you know if it's available here in the States? I'm also looking for a better mic solution (I'm doing analog through the PC with a Samson R10S mic and a small mixer). I want to go USB, and that's the best I've heard out of a Logitech mic. Thanks.

-SJ
If I'm not me, who am I? And if I'm somebody else, why do I look like me?
-Popeye

Beblach!

My DVD Collection
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

what model of Logitech mic are you using and do you know if it's available here in the States? I'm also looking for a better mic solution (I'm doing analog through the PC with a Samson R10S mic and a small mixer). I want to go USB, and that's the best I've heard out of a Logitech mic. Thanks.

-SJ
The only USB mic on the Logitech site, the one I got on sale here in Brampton is this one http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/microphones/&cl=us,en

I have not had a chance to actually record anything yet, still rehersing a short story piece...this reading is harder than it looks ..or sounds :!:
Starlite posted:
I no longer record on the computer so I gapped that step!
What recording method do you now use?
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I use a Zoom H2 to record with and then import the resulting wav file into audacity to edit.

Esther :)
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

aradlaw wrote:
what model of Logitech mic are you using and do you know if it's available here in the States? I'm also looking for a better mic solution (I'm doing analog through the PC with a Samson R10S mic and a small mixer). I want to go USB, and that's the best I've heard out of a Logitech mic. Thanks.

-SJ
The only USB mic on the Logitech site, the one I got on sale here in Brampton is this one http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/microphones/&cl=us,en
Yes, that's the chap. At least, it looks identical and the specs seem the same - as you say, there don't really seem to be different models; the only thing mine's got written on it is 'Logitech'. I got it in January, and paid £13.99 (which is £6 less than the Logitech UK website has it listed as, so it might well be worth checking around for the best price rather than buying from the above site).
I have not had a chance to actually record anything yet, still rehersing a short story piece...this reading is harder than it looks ..or sounds :!:
Stick with it! Look forward to hearing you.
rd
English is the lingua franca par excellence
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

russiandoll wrote: Stick with it! Look forward to hearing you.
rd
Well, if you insist :shock: here is my first effort done with the old analog mic last week.
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/mla/50famousstoriesretold_33_baldwin.mp3
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

aradlaw wrote:I have not had a chance to actually record anything yet, still rehersing a short story piece...this reading is harder than it looks ..or sounds :!:
You're absolutely right! But stick to it, you'll get the hang of it very quickly, and it will get easier with practice.
Paul