[RESOLVED] Repeat - Riders of the Purple Sage

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
Quinkish

Post by Quinkish »

The repeat occurs in Chapter 11. The chapter plays until approx. 7.47 mins and then starts again.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

This was mine -- I'll check in a bit. Which one did you download - the zip, 128, or ogg? I know there wasn't a repeat in my original file.

edit -- Dangit, the chapter does start back over. Quinkish, do you know if anything was missing, or was the chapter complete after the repeat? I checked file durations after cataloging and would have picked up an 8-min difference (one would hope, anyway). It must have been some weird uploading glitch because this was PL'd very reliably (and I listened through all the files too before submitting them).
Laurie Anne
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Laurie Anne, I'm pretty sure that I D/L'ed the files from the uploader, but they'd be on my home system, and I can't get to that until about 7 pm CDT. Want me to check what I got from the uploader (if I do have them)?
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Ooh, yes, Paul, that would be great! I actually didn't use the uploader for this, I put the files on Anita's server -- so it is possible that something happened between the server and the Validator. I don't have my originals anymore, so it would be terrific if you do have an early version; then if there is something missing I won't have to re-record. :)
Laurie Anne
Quinkish

Post by Quinkish »

Hi Laurie Anne

I originally downloaded the zip and burned it to CD to listen to - noticed the repeat, but everything else was perfect. Before posting here I checked the 128 of the individual chapter and that had the same repeat.

It was such a wonderful story, and so well read, I really enjoyed it and hope it can be fixed easily.

Rachel
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Laurie Anne, I'm a firm believer in Petersen's Corrollary to Murphy's Law. Murphy's Law being
Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and it will do so at the worst possible moment.
and Petersen's Corrollary being
Murphy was an optimist.
A backup copy on optical media of some sort is always A Good Thing to Have. I personally have been bitten by not having a backup copy of something electronic that I thought was unimportant, the hard drive it was stored on crashing, and then it turned out to be much more important than I thought at first. :roll:

Okay, I've listened to the copy of chapter 11 that I leeched from the Listen! linke while you were working on the project (wheter it came from the LV uploader or Anita's server I don't know), and up through 9 1/2 minutes there were no repeats. I've uploaded it to the law directory on the uploader, so you can double-check me. The link should be http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/purplesage_11_grey.mp3.

EDIT: Just FYI, the run time shown on the catalog page matches to the second the run time reported by my Windows Vista system on the leeched file...very curious. P.
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Murphy's Law:
Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and it will do so at the worst possible moment.
and Petersen's Corollary:
Murphy was an optimist.
BUT:
Murphy and Petersen didn't have Librivox (specifically Paul) on their side.
:D

Paul, that is wonderful, thank you! Here's the weird thing: the file duration is indeed exactly the same as the bad one from the catalog page. There must be something missing from the cataloged one. I might listen through the bad one at some point just to see. The cut must not have been anything you'd notice unless you were reading along with the text.

Rachel, thanks for the compliment (blush) and I am really glad you posted this! I'll start the file replacement process now and post back when everything is finished.

p.s. Paul -- I usually consider Archive to be my safe backup once I've checked to see that everything arrived safely. I have about too many sections now to keep them all on my hard drive, and I've been too lazy to move them to a CD or somewhere else. Good thing I had you as the emergency secondary backup this time. :D
Laurie Anne
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

chocoholic wrote:Murphy's Law:
and Petersen's Corollary:
Murphy was an optimist.
BUT:
Murphy and Petersen didn't have Librivox (specifically Paul) on their side.
:D

Paul, that is wonderful, thank you! Here's the weird thing: the file duration is indeed exactly the same as the bad one from the catalog page. There must be something missing from the cataloged one. I might listen through the bad one at some point just to see. The cut must not have been anything you'd notice unless you were reading along with the text.

Rachel, thanks for the compliment (blush) and I am really glad you posted this! I'll start the file replacement process now and post back when everything is finished.

p.s. Paul -- I usually consider Archive to be my safe backup once I've checked to see that everything arrived safely. I have about too many sections now to keep them all on my hard drive, and I've been too lazy to move them to a CD or somewhere else. Good thing I had you as the emergency secondary backup this time. :D
I have learned the hard way not to trust anything that I cannot lay my hot little hands on as a reliable backup...there's just too many ways for things to go wrong. :roll:

When I was working at IBM, we had a server that was a 'critical server" for the help center. It was backed up on tape daily, and the previous day's tape went across the road to a different building. One night the server crashed, and the tape that the backup was made on was bad...it wouldn't resore. Worse, the tape from the previous day was also bad. Both tapes had been reused too many times, and the coating was beginning to flake off, leaving gaps in the data. The only thing that saved us was that I, as the sytems administrator, a few weeks before had instituted a network backup to a different server's disk array on a nightly basis...and that backup was good!

My philosophy when it comes to data backup is that a single backup is not really a backup...you might be safe with two, but three (especially using different types of media) is even better. Maybe I'm just paranoid about data loss, but ... ;)
Paul
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Finished! Spot-checked and seems fine. Rachel, if you notice anything else, please let me know!

Well, Paul, I guess the triple-backup would be knowing that I could just read the thing again. :lol: Though at the rate I'm able to record now, it would take at least a month.
Laurie Anne
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

chocoholic wrote:Finished! Spot-checked and seems fine. Rachel, if you notice anything else, please let me know!

Well, Paul, I guess the triple-backup would be knowing that I could just read the thing again. :lol: Though at the rate I'm able to record now, it would take at least a month.
Well, at least part of it would have been there!

The funny thing is, although I have all of the files from teh project, I only got up through about chapter 7 from Archive when the project was first catalogged...so I couldn't check to see if something had happened at Archive to corrupt the file after it had been uploaded and catalogged. Although, since the zip file was affected, I suspect that it happened somewhere between the validator and when Archive first got the file. Very strange behavior. If this keeps up, we may have to make anyone who listens to completed works a proof-listener! ;)
Paul
kristin

Post by kristin »

We had a number of projects with files like this last year, I think right before archive went plooey. Something went wrong with the upload because the original files were all ok.
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
Quinkish

Post by Quinkish »

Everything else sounded fine Laurie Anne - I just wished Zane Grey had written more chapters! I was hooked.

Rachel
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

There is a sequel, Rachel. :)
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/5067

I haven't read it (or if I did, it's too long ago to remember) so I don't know how it compares.
Laurie Anne
Quinkish

Post by Quinkish »

Well, if you do decide to read it, make sure you're sitting by a microphone :lol:

I'll check that out, thanks.

Rachel