COMPLETE The Merchant of Venice, by William Shakespeare - kh

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChamberMonk

Post by ChamberMonk »

Hi. I would love to volunteer to read Section 07 "Duke of Venice" please.

I posted the a recording of the weekly poem earlier so I may already be in the Catalogue as ChamberMonk. Could the URL be http://feelclearer.podbean.com/ please :).

Thank you.
:D
Aaron Elliott

Post by Aaron Elliott »

Mayeth I have section #16?
Lorenzo?

Very best, Aaron.
asy

Post by asy »

Thanks to both of you!!! I'll enter you into the system.

Sorry I haven't been around guys, things went a little ballistic at work a couple of weeks ago and I had to bring a heap home :( It's a little quieter now so I'm BACK!!! :)

asy :D
To save money on electricity, we've turned off the light at the end of the tunnel...
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

Hello!
I'm not quite sure how a Moor sounds, but I CAN do deep, as requested, so put me down for the Prince of Morocco.
:)
- Mark

"In narrating everything is simple, but it's the simple things that are difficult." (Apologies to von Clausewitz!)
Mark's Librivoxings
asy

Post by asy »

Ooooh, Prince of Morocco ALL YOURS, Mark!

Thank you!!!

As I understand it, a "Moor" is what would now (roughly) be a "Moroccan", geographically, (and I'm really not sure of the 'political correctness' of this description, so I apologise in advance for any offence, as none is intended) but would have meant a Black Northern African Muslim man, which is why they were usually played by Big, deep voiced men, hence my comment about the voice.

There's a good description HERE.

So a nice deep voice would be lovely, thank you :)

To save money on electricity, we've turned off the light at the end of the tunnel...
Ernst Pattynama

Post by Ernst Pattynama »

Hello, I am Ernst Pattynama,

I should like to ´claim´ no. 21 please. Please inform me. Meanwhile I shall study the text and when assigned to me I shall send the recording a.s.a.p.

Good luckt with the project.

Kind regards,

Ernst
asy

Post by asy »

No worries, thanks Ernst!!!

Dave in the Fax

Post by Dave in the Fax »

As I understand it, a "Moor" is what would now (roughly) be a "Moroccan", geographically, (and I'm really not sure of the 'political correctness' of this description, so I apologise in advance for any offence, as none is intended) but would have meant a Black Northern African Muslim man, which is why they were usually played by Big, deep voiced men, hence my comment about the voice.
This isn't quite true; most Moroccans are Arabs, not Black. In Elizabethan English, 'Moor' was a very vague term, and could mean pretty much anyone from Africa or even the Middle East, but this character is described in the original text as a "Tawny Moor", which indicates that he is an Arab. So basically, I wouldn't get too hung up over his voice! :wink:

http://internetshakespeare.uvic.ca/Annex/Texts/MV/Q1/Scene/2.1
Ernst Pattynama

Post by Ernst Pattynama »

Dear Kristin,

Please find here my recording

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kh/merchantofvenice_clerk_act4_shakespeare.mp3

Good luck with the project!

Regards

Ernst
asy

Post by asy »

Thanks Dave!

Ya live and learn, and goodness knows I got lotsa learnin' to do. Much appreciated!!!

Mark (Kaffen) has a really lovely voice, so I'm thrilled he's in on the project! :)

Great link, by the way :D

Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

I now see that I haven't put the right preamble and postamble into the file. So consider this my audition for the part of Stephano (act 5 scene 1). He had just arrived "so fast on foot", so I tried to make him sound slightly breathless without putting in overdramatic puffing and panting. If the basic idea is correct I can record it again and get it right this time.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kh/merchantofvenice_stephano_5_shakespeare.mp3
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

Here's my Moor. Regardless of color, his voice is deep. Should stand out in the crowd. (Considering he stupidly chose among the caskets, he SHOULD be standing out in the crowd! :lol: )

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kh/merchantofvenice_princeofmorocco_act2_shakespeare.mp3

I'm not sure about whether I caught the "musical flow" you want, asy. If not, let's correspond and I can try again.
Last edited by Kaffen on July 24th, 2008, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Mark

"In narrating everything is simple, but it's the simple things that are difficult." (Apologies to von Clausewitz!)
Mark's Librivoxings
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

As a relative newcomer watching from the wings, I would like to try, if I may, section 22, the part of Salerio.

edit I may be wrong but I believe the Salerio character (sec 22) in the magic window should be spelled 'Salanio' as listed in DRAMATIS PERSONAE.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
kristin

Post by kristin »

It looks like we might have some confusion in the text with the character names as Salerio doesn't seem to exist and it lists his lines as both Salanio (act 3) and Salarino (act 4). Cross reference with this site: http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/views/plays/characters/charlines.php?CharID=Salerio&WorkID=merchantvenice
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Hi kristin,

cross referencing between the opensourceshakespeare & our text it looks like GP's version eliminates Salerio in acts 3 & 4 and splits them up between Salanio & Salarino, since Salerio does not appear in any scene with the other two.

Did you want me to read Salerio as listed in the magic window, since he is listed I would assume that Salanio's lines were not included initially to replace Salerio's.

Oh, t'would Shakespeare have had a bit more imagination in naming minor characters :roll:

If Salerio's lines are actually gone to the other two, I could try Old Gobbo if you wish.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!