[COMPLETE]Principles of Morals/Legislation by Bentham -jc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NightOwl

Post by NightOwl »

An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation by Jeremy Bentham.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/an-introduction-to-the-principles-of-morals-and-legislation-by-jeremy-bentham/
Bentham's ambition in life was to create a "Pannomion", a complete Utilitarian code of law. Bentham not only proposed many legal and social reforms, but also expounded an underlying moral principle on which they should be based. This philosophy, utilitarianism, argued that the right act or policy was that which would cause "the greatest happiness of the greatest number" — a phrase of which he is generally, though erroneously, regarded as the author — though he later dropped the second qualification and embraced what he called "the greatest happiness principle," often referred to as the principle of utility. (Summary by wikipedia)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: June. 2009 - updated deadline: November 30, 2009 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): Link
    http://www.constitution.org/jb/pml.htm
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please leave out footnotes in sections still be recorded (in some sections footnotes may already have been included) - also please leave out the Roman Numerals at the start of each block of text

In the spirit of November Clean-Up month, all readers can claim a maximum of 1 section at one time - as soon as you submit a recording, you are welcome to claim your next section. :)

MAGIC WINDOW:

BC admin
    ======================================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and readers (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

BC - please provide *all of* the following:
    [list]
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 18 (19 with preface, but not sure whether it is PD material)
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: not sure
    [*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Bentham
    [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/An_Introduction_to_the_Principles_of_Morals_and_Legislation
    [*]Short description (please state who wrote the description. This can be a paragraph copied from Wikipedia. If you write this yourself, please be aware that your summary will be in the PD):
    [*]Date of first publication: 1789
    [*]Year of author's death (note: in some countries copyright is death of author plus 50 or 70 years) 1832
=======================================================[/size]
[*]BEFORE recording:
Please check the Recording Notes:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

[*]DURING recording:
Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
Start of recording (Intro)
  • "Chapter [number] of [An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation.]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name]"
  • Say:
    "An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation by Jeremy Bentham. . Chapter [number]"
End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    End of Chapter [number]"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation by Jeremy Bentham."
Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!

[*]AFTER recording:
Need noise-cleaning?
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
128 kbps MP3
principles_morals_legislation_##_bentham.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. principles_morals_legislation_01_bentham.mp3 - see Notes in Magic Window for the correct mp3 name for your section!)

ID3 V2 tags
(To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: Jeremy Bentham
Album: An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: jc - Jc
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by NightOwl on July 13th, 2008, 3:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
NightOwl

Post by NightOwl »

Need Help!

I have a problem about the footnotes though. Can anyone help me clear the confusion about footnote-reading? Should the reader reads footnote like in this book link: http://www.constitution.org/jb/pml.htm
(the footnote number was assigned in between the text and were annexed to each chapter, such as in chapter 1: http://www.constitution.org/jb/pml_01.htm)

And how do people read footnote like this example:
....subject to it all the while. The principle of utility[1] recognizes this subjection, and assumes it for the foundation of that system, ....
Do they read like:
....subject to it all the while. The principle of utility [footnote 1] recognizes this subjection, and assumes it for the foundation of that system, ....

Or should the reader reads footnotes lumped together as the last chapter like in the wikisourse?
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/An_Introduction_to_the_Principles_of_Morals_and_Legislation

HC
Cori

Post by Cori »

For short (one word/sentence) footnotes, I'd read them right after the line referenced. In this case, though ... I think I'd be very tempted to leave them out entirely, and note in the catalogue-page summary that there are supplemental notes to the text. It would derail the train of the argument to read them where they're found in the text ... but I'm not sure they'd make enough sense referenced in a final file at the end of the book.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
NightOwl

Post by NightOwl »

Thank you for your prompt suggestion, Cori.

I think maybe I could ask the readers to leave all the footnotes out, if I am entitled to make that choice, because the footnotes won't help the listeners to comprehend the argument in the text (it only succeeded in distracting my attention from the argument when listening to it, but would help me in some way if I'm reading the text instead of listening to it.)

I've tried to read several sections and recorded those chapters just to see whether it is workable, but I would like to wait for others to claim those sections. I'm not confident enough to claim them myself.

HC
Jc

Post by Jc »

I'll MC if nobody else has claimed this. :D
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
NightOwl

Post by NightOwl »

Thanks for MC-ing this project, Jc.

I'm still not sure about the preface (wikisource doesn't have a preface, but many other sources has the same preface). I think it was written by the author (in 1823) and he died more than 100 years ago, so it should be PD material.

Another thing is that wikisource put all the footnotes in the last section, while other sources put each set of footnotes in the associated chapters. Do you agree that we just ignore all the footnotes?

If we put the preface in and leave the footnotes section out, then we will still have 18 sections.

What do you think?

HC
Jc

Post by Jc »

Preface is PD, it's included in this edition of the book, published in 1823: http://books.google.ca/books?id=ZWcAAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=jeremy+bentham&as_brr=1&hl=en

We could ignore the footnotes. That's what I ended up doing for my Blackstone project; the footnotes were driving me mad.

However, from what I see, the footnotes seem reasonably readable. If you decide to keep them, I think it would be better if they were read after the sentence or the paragraph.
Jc

Post by Jc »

BTW: have you decided which link to use?
NightOwl

Post by NightOwl »

I like the format of webpage and citations of the following link:
http://www.constitution.org/jb/pml.htm

But if we keep the footnote, do we ask the readers to read like:
....He means certain axioms[2] of what may be termed mental pathology, expressive of the connection betwixt the feelings of the parties concerned, and the several classes of incidents, which either call for, or are produced by, operations of the nature above mentioned.
read:
He means certain axioms[ footnote 2] of what may be termed mental pathology, expressive of the connection betwixt the feelings of the parties concerned, and the several classes of incidents, which either call for, or are produced by, operations of the nature above mentioned.

footnote 2. For example. — It is worse to lose than simply not to gain. — A loss falls the lighter by being divided. — The suffering of a person hurt in gratification of enmity, is greater than the gratification produced lay the same cause. — These, and a few others which he will have occasion to exhibit at the head of another publication, have the same claim to the appellation of axioms as those given by mathematicians under that name; since, referring to universal experience as their immediate basis, they are incapable of demonstration, and require only to be developed and illustrated in order to be recognized as incontestable.

Then read the next paragraph?

How about the one-sentence footnote, like (in the preface):
occupies no fewer than one hundred and four closely printed quarto pages,[3] the ten concluding ones are employed in a statement of the practical advantages that may be reaped from the plan of classification which it exhibits. Those in whose sight the Defence of Usury has been fortunate enough to find favour, may reckon as one instance of those advantages the discovery of the principles developed in that little treatise. In the preface to an anonymous tract[4] published so long ago as in 1776,

Edit: Just notice that chapter 10 and 16 are quite big, do you think they should be separated into several sections?

HC
Jc

Post by Jc »

Anything sensible would work. Personally, I would rather read:

"He means certain axioms of what may be termed mental pathology, expressive of the connection betwixt the feelings of the parties concerned, and the several classes of incidents, which either call for, or are produced by, operations of the nature above mentioned. [ footnote ] [read footnote] "
Jc

Post by Jc »

for the big chapters, the readers can separate them themselves. You don't have to worry too much about it.

BTW, I've changed the file names, putting underscores so it'll be easier to read.
NightOwl

Post by NightOwl »

I'll read the preface, but how do you read "&c" in footnote 4?
4. A Fragment on Government, &c., reprinted 1822.
HC
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

NightOwl wrote:I'll read the preface, but how do you read "&c" in footnote 4?
4. A Fragment on Government, &c., reprinted 1822.
HC
"&c" = etcetera :)

Esther
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
NightOwl

Post by NightOwl »

Starlite wrote: "&c" = etcetera :)
Thanks!

My PCs are breathing out hot air that makes the room unbearable in this humid season of the year! And I can use the H2 to record in the coolest room away from the PCs. :D

HC
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

NightOwl wrote:
Starlite wrote: "&c" = etcetera :)
Thanks!

My PCs are breathing out hot air that makes the room unbearable in this humid season of the year! And I can use the H2 to record in the coolest room away from the PCs. :D

HC
Isn't the H2 wonderful!!! :9:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw