[COMPLETE] The Voyage of the Beagle - Charles Darwin - NF/ks

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

Brilliant! Thanks everyone!
[size=75]He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams[/size]
Cori

Post by Cori »

There seem to be quite a few old claims in the window, Scott ... might this be a good time to send some reminder PMs (to those who claimed in the last 6 months) and to do some straight reclaims (where the claim is more than 6 months old) ..?

It's all so close to being done ...
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
not.a.moose

Post by not.a.moose »

That's quite a good idea, I think!

Unfortunately, I have so little time to dedicate to LV right now - finalizing preparations for my wedding in about 3 weeks, weekend plans until then, and and inability to log in to LV on my home computer for some reason.

On the flip side, the project isn't going anywhere any time soon.

As for the lovely readers who have volunteered to record for this project, Cori and I would love love love it if you would let us know whether or not you plan on recording! If so, please move this project up in your list of priorities so we can wrap the book and make it available to the public!

Thanks!
Scott
[size=75]He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams[/size]
Cori

Post by Cori »

3 weeks 'til your wedding! And you're still sane enough to type -- that's some kind of wonder. :D

Would it be okay if I PM people & reclaim the oldest chapters, then, Scott (those claimed in June/July of last year) ... and we'll wait to hear from the more recent claimers..? (They will need a PM reminder too, if they don't see this message and post.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

Good news, Scott! Might I suggest, for your honeymoon trip, that you follow the path of the Beagle? ;)
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
jtheory

Post by jtheory »

Cori wrote:Would it be okay if I PM people & reclaim the oldest chapters, then, Scott (those claimed in June/July of last year) ... and we'll wait to hear from the more recent claimers..? (They will need a PM reminder too, if they don't see this message and post.)
Eh, probably no need to wait for Scott's go-ahead -- I'd say *someone* ought to ping them -- as long as you're the only one doing it, full speed ahead.

I can say from personal experience: it's easy to plan to do some reading some rainy Sunday in the future... then forget about it completely.

I think it'd be a great feature for LV to automatically remind people monthly of the due dates for projects where they have a pending claim... that way they'll be more likely to think of it when they *do* have time, or to simply recognize that they won't have the time before the due date, and they can unclaim the section (that could even be a single-click link in the reminder email).
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

I've already done it. I figured, as MC, it would be ok.
Karen S.
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

jtheory wrote:I think it'd be a great feature for LV to automatically remind people monthly of the due dates for projects where they have a pending claim... that way they'll be more likely to think of it when they *do* have time, or to simply recognize that they won't have the time before the due date, and they can unclaim the section (that could even be a single-click link in the reminder email).
This does sound like a good idea, jtheory, and similar ideas have been discussed in the past. We've tried to think of ways to automate the process, but it's been mostly from the point of view of the BC, who often has to send out masses of PMs. You bring up the interesting point that it also makes it much easier for the readers.

I guess one of the problems is that different people have different preferences on how often to unclaim sections. There are quite a few people who give a strict time limit of a month, and there's plenty of sense in it, but I don't like to do that, myself. I've found plenty of times that people will return after 3 or 4 months to turn in their recordings, and as long as we're not near completion, I don't see any harm in waiting. It'd be difficult to figure out a one-size-fits-all solution to different people's philosophies on that.

Maybe a compromise would be to remind people not monthly, but a month before the project's due date. What do you think? Would that still be helpful?

The only thing that I think is not doable is the single-click link in the reminder e-mail. All BCs have individualized passwords for their projects, and we can't give out that information in mass e-mails.

Still, good ideas! If you really wanna pursue it, you might make a new post in the Suggestions Forum. Maybe more capable minds than mine will see it and know of some way to implement it. :)
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
rtperson

Post by rtperson »

gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Wonderful! Thanks, Roger.
Karen S.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Roger, I listened to Sec 05-01 and 05-02 and they are just fine, ready to catalog!
rtperson

Post by rtperson »

Excellent! Glad to hear it.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

We have two new orphans, sections 15 and 38.
Karen S.
mcyama

Post by mcyama »

Hi,
I'll take section 15 if it is still available.
Maria
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

It's all yours. Please keep in mind that the target date for this project is June 30th.
Karen S.