The LibriVox UK Chapter! Meeting to record.....

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
AGSec

Post by AGSec »

A possible use for earthcalling's reverberent acoustic in the Greenwich tunnel?

Graham :wink:
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

Puddemallinside to sing some shanties
Puddemallinside to sing some shanties
Puddemallinside to sing some shantieeeeees
Err-lye in the morning!
[size=84][color=#483d8b][b]Is it weird in here, or is it just me? [/b][/color][/size]- [size=75][i]Steven Wright[/size][/i]
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Hey all!

I know this is naughtily short notice (largely due to plans having been very fluid, and conversations taking place outside this thread), but there will be a small gathering this Sunday (18th) at my place, to take advantage of Hugh's stopover in London en route to Stockholm.

We'll have a chance to mull and reflect on things generally LibriVoxish, and indulge in a little recording.

However, my place being small (much like myself in that regard :D ), I really have to cap the numbers or it'll be hellish uncomfortable for everyone. As it is, there's room for one more person - if anyone is free and interested, of course. No probs if no one is.

Those already confirmed are:-
Carl
Cori
Hugh
Graham (AGSec)
me

(Peter - we're leaving room for you and we'll be devastated if you're not there. Just let me know if you can make it).

I'm in New Cross, SE14. Reachable by train from London Bridge to either New Cross or New Cross Gate stations, and 10 minutes' walk from the station. I'll PM directions and phone numbers if you've not been before.

We'll be starting at 11, or as people arrive thereafter.

So, one space free, to the first person to post here.

David
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

Argh! I would LOVE to come, but I'm out of town until I'm not quite sure when - late afternoon, possibly, at the best. If you're still ongoing when I'm back, I'd love to drop in, but if there's someone else who can commit to the whole day the spot is theirs.
:( rd

EDIT - I might be back earlier than I feared... (relying on a lift from the friend we're staying with, is the thing, so it depends what time he's driving back; it was all pretty loose... testing the water now...)

EDIT #2 - Hooray! Friend intending to drive back to be in Kensington by 11.30am. So depending on where I can get dropped and make my way from, I hope to be with you maybe between midday and one, if that's ok?
English is the lingua franca par excellence
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Yay!! russiandoll it is!!

It'll be great to meet you at last, and no doubt a fine time will be had by all.

I'll PM you all the nitty-gritties...

David
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

Well, kiddies! Have fun! I'm hoping mightily to meet up with some of you soon. How about June 27? It's a Sunday, I think; anyway, I mean to suggest the last Sunday afternoon in June.
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Look forward to meeting you rd!
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
Cori

Post by Cori »

On my way now :)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

I'll put the kettle on....
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Wow, that was a great day. Wonderful to meet Carl, Philippa and Hugh for the first time; great fun, and very productive!

First fruit:-

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ec/drfaustus_marlow_gr.mp3
(Recorded in front of the memorial stone to Marlowe).
-- Graham, I've not put in the ID3 tags. Can you do that as appropriate to the collection you submit it to? Or shall we include it in the Greenwich Tunnel collection?

Setting the scene...
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ec/foottunnelstarter.mp3

Poems:-
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ec/deathbenotproud_donne_gr.mp3
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ec/epitaphonmh_cotton_rd.mp3

More to follow tomorrow...

David
Last edited by earthcalling on May 18th, 2008, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AGSec

Post by AGSec »

earthcalling wrote:First fruit:-

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ec/drfaustus_marlow_gr.mp3
(Recorded in front of the memorial stone to Marlowe).
-- Graham, I've not put in the ID3 tags. Can you do that as appropriate to the collection you submit it to? Or shall we include it in the Greenwich Tunnel collection?
I think it should go in the Greenwich Tunnel Collection as a "curtain raiser".

It was a tremendous day - and really great to meet Hugh!

Graham
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

earthcalling wrote:First fruit:-
That was quick!
Yes, it was a really fun day. Thanks, everyone - and especially to David for his hospitality. It was lovely to meet you all!
English is the lingua franca par excellence
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Thanks David.

Great to meet you all, and a splendid induction.

Think it'll probably be a while before I'm able to do it again, but hopefully I will, and I'll be sure to let you know on the offchance when I'm next in London (or - less likely, but you never know: Brighton, Bedford or Montreal).

Cheers,
Carl.
Last edited by CarlManchester on May 19th, 2008, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
Julila

Post by Julila »

This sounds like so much fun!
I'm in the UK from 6 'till 26 July myself, for a summer course. Do you think I could join you then?
Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Mr. Wooster, how would you support a wife? Well, I suppose it depends on whose wife it was, a little gentle pressure beneath the elbow while crossing a busy street usually fits the bill. (P.G. Wodehouse)