COMPLETE [ADV]In Search of the Castaways by Jules Verne- law

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
EdFlanders

Post by EdFlanders »

Hi

I'm new to this book, but may I please take sections 30 to 34?
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

EdFlanders wrote:Hi

I'm new to this book, but may I please take sections 30 to 34?
You certainly can! Sections 30-34 are all yours! :D
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Kiwiria wrote:I'm in the process of recording section 65 and discovered to my embarrassment that there's a huge section of French! While I can give an acceptable guess of French pronunciation when there's only a word or two, three entire paragraphs are beyond my capabilities.

However, I feel it would be a shame to give up the chapter, and waste what I've already recorded, so would it be acceptable to have the French translated into English? I have a feeling more people would be able to understand it that way anyway ;)

It's not a change I'd feel comfortable without asking your leave first though, so I'll wait with the rest until I hear your reply.
Ouch... That is a discovery to me too.

I do not think inserting English translation instead of French would be the most appropriate solution. The LibriVox policy is to record the text how it stands, altering it as little as possible.

I had similar case in my solo book "Concerning Cats", with some paragraphs of French in the middle of the English text. What I did was to post in "Help wanted" forum a topic, asking for someone to read that French part for me. And I got a wonderful piece of French, which I afterwards spliced in my original recording in the right place. It solved the problem very well.
So I suggest you could try that also. There are several french-capable librivoxers around and they are all very friendly and eager to help. :wink:

K.
Kiwiria

Post by Kiwiria »

Kikisaulite wrote:
Kiwiria wrote:I'm in the process of recording section 65 and discovered to my embarrassment that there's a huge section of French! While I can give an acceptable guess of French pronunciation when there's only a word or two, three entire paragraphs are beyond my capabilities.

However, I feel it would be a shame to give up the chapter, and waste what I've already recorded, so would it be acceptable to have the French translated into English? I have a feeling more people would be able to understand it that way anyway ;)

It's not a change I'd feel comfortable without asking your leave first though, so I'll wait with the rest until I hear your reply.
Ouch... That is a discovery to me too.

I do not think inserting English translation instead of French would be the most appropriate solution. The LibriVox policy is to record the text how it stands, altering it as little as possible.

I had similar case in my solo book "Concerning Cats", with some paragraphs of French in the middle of the English text. What I did was to post in "Help wanted" forum a topic, asking for someone to read that French part for me. And I got a wonderful piece of French, which I afterwards spliced in my original recording in the right place. It solved the problem very well.
So I suggest you could try that also. There are several french-capable librivoxers around and they are all very friendly and eager to help. :wink:

K.
Ok, thanks. I'll start out by asking my mum as she speaks French, and our voices are fairly similar, so hopefully it won't be too noticeable.
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Kiwiria wrote:
Ok, thanks. I'll start out by asking my mum as she speaks French, and our voices are fairly similar, so hopefully it won't be too noticeable.
That's a great idea!
Kiwiria

Post by Kiwiria »

Kikisaulite wrote:
Kiwiria wrote:
That's a great idea!
Fortunately she had time right away (today being a holiday in Denmark and all...), so here it is :)

65: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/insearchofcastaways_65_verne.mp3
Runtime 22:05
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Great! Thanks, Kiwiria! :D
Is today some special day in Denmark? Why is it holiday?
Kiwiria

Post by Kiwiria »

Kikisaulite wrote:Great! Thanks, Kiwiria! :D
Is today some special day in Denmark? Why is it holiday?
Pentecost Monday is a holiday here - same as Easter Monday and December 26th, nobody knows exactly why, but hey, it's more paid time off work, so who are we to complain?! ;)
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Kiwiria wrote: nobody knows exactly why, but hey, it's more paid time off work, so who are we to complain?! ;)
:lol: Right you are!
mpetranech

Post by mpetranech »

Greetings,

I am a new reader and I would be honred to read Book Three - V - Cannibals.

I hope I'm doing this correctly, if not feel free to hit me.

Mike
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

mpetranech wrote:Greetings,

I am a new reader and I would be honred to read Book Three - V - Cannibals.

I hope I'm doing this correctly, if not feel free to hit me.

Mike
Hi, Mike! Welcome to Librivox and this project!

No worries, nobody's going to hit you! :lol: And you are doing everything correctly. Section 50 (book Three, cannibals) is assigned to you.

As you have not yet done any recordings, you may want to post a brief sample of your recording to the Listeners Wanted forum in order to catch, early on, any potential technical problems. But that is wholly up to you.

And if you have any questions, feel free to post them here or PM me!

Greetings,
Kristine.
mpetranech

Post by mpetranech »

Thank you Kristine,

I will put something on Listeners Wanted to make sure there are no tech issues. thanks for the reply and I am looking forward to working with LibriVox. I think it's gonna be a hoot.

Mike
Wassermann

Post by Wassermann »

Hi Kristine,
I would like to claim section 54.
Thank you in advance
Dirk
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

54 is all yours, Dirk!
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw