You know you're addicted to LV when...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Jc

Post by Jc »

... when 5 months after purchasing a new laptop, Librivox is still the only website you've put in your web browser's bookmarks...
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
NightOwl

Post by NightOwl »

...when you visit the library not to search for the materials for your work/job/research, but to search for a PD book for your next Librivox project.......

........and whenever you want to type library, you just type libri............

(...just happened to me when typing this post...)

HC
anne21

Post by anne21 »

...when you're idly daydreaming and come with an idea for a radio play featuring Librivox that goes something along the following lines:

Readings from the Heart

Lonely young woman in dull job discovers Librivox and a hidden talent for reading aloud and bringing stories to life. A lonely blind man becomes a fan of her voice. Exchange of messages follow touching on life, literature and the joys hearing the human voice. Life-affirming ending rounds everything up. Lots of comic cameo parts add to the delight.

(No resemblence to any real person is intended here. ) :)

Anne
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Hee hee Anne. I don't think we have had any LibriRomances here yet! Though I know of one listener who took Annie Coleman's recordings and made some naughty remixes of it. :wink:

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11448

Esther :lol:

Edit to add:

http://publicdomainremix.blogspot.com/
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

...though I will be the first to admit that I've developed plenty of LibriCrushes in my time here. Some people just have really dreamy voices! :)
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Caeristhiona wrote:...though I will be the first to admit that I've developed plenty of LibriCrushes in my time here. Some people just have really dreamy voices! :)
Oh yesssssss But most of them live across the pond. :cry: And one is old enough to be my dad. :P :lol: :lol:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

Starlite wrote:
Caeristhiona wrote:...though I will be the first to admit that I've developed plenty of LibriCrushes in my time here. Some people just have really dreamy voices! :)
Oh yesssssss But most of them live across the pond. :cry: And one is old enough to be my dad. :P :lol: :lol:
But those are the best kinds of crushes to have - "virtual" ones that will never be tested by "real life"! :D
[size=84][color=#483d8b][b]Is it weird in here, or is it just me? [/b][/color][/size]- [size=75][i]Steven Wright[/size][/i]
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

This topic has put me in mind of a song. It's a jaunty little number:

IT'S A PERFECT RELATIONSHIP
From the Broadway Musical "Bells Are Ringing" (1956)
(Jule Styne / Betty Comden / Adolph Green)

I'm in love with a man
Plaza-O-Double-Four-Double-Three
What a perfect relationship
I can't see him, he can't see me
I'm in love with a voice
I talk to him and he just talks to me

And yet I can't help wondering
What does he look like
I wish I knew
What does he look like
Is he six-foot-seven or three-foot-two
Has he eyes of brown or baby blue
Big and mighty or underfed
Trim black moustache or beard of red
Can he dance like Fred Astaire
Is he dark or is he fair
Pompadour or not a hair
Well I don't care!

I'm in love with a man
And that's how things should always be
Our love can never lose its mystery
'Cause I'll never meet him
And he'll never meet me
No, he'll never meet me

What does he look like
My sleeping Prince
What does he look like
Tough as nails with a black cigar
As handsome as a movie star
Stern as an eagle, shy as a dove
A face that only a mother could love
It doesn't matter what he is
I'm HIS, HIS, HIS!

But he's still just a voice
Plaza-0-Double-Four-Double-Three
I can't see him, he can't see me
He calls me "Mum", he thinks I'm sixty-three
And I'll never meet him
And he'll never meet me
No, he'll never meet me

(Transcribed by Mel Priddle - February 2006)
From here
English is the lingua franca par excellence
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

puffin1 wrote:But those are the best kinds of crushes to have - "virtual" ones that will never be tested by "real life"! :D
♫♪♫♪ Jenny Jenny / Who can I turn to? / Eight-six-seven five three oh ni-ee-ine ♫♪♫♪

:D
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

You see?! The wisdom of popular songs can't be beat! :wink:
[size=84][color=#483d8b][b]Is it weird in here, or is it just me? [/b][/color][/size]- [size=75][i]Steven Wright[/size][/i]
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Well, I might be moving "across the pond" in a year -- all other things being equal! So then I am confronted with the horror of actually meeting a LibriCrush.

In a slightly unrelated note, I discovered that I am myself the object of a LibriCrush -- and I have a class with them this quarter. So that's complicated. And alas for me, it's NOT one of the classes TYM and I are taking together. :?
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

The U.K. is hardly "across the pond" for you, Caet, living in California! Unless you mean you're moving to Japan. ;)

I find it really surprising that you know anyone in real life who's heard your readings, apart from friends. That's a huge coincidence in itself!
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

You'd be amazed! I think I encounter them more in the English Dept. than other people might, since so many of us are looking for...well, frankly, the quick and easy way to do our homework. I've availed myself of LibriVox recordings against a reading deadline more than once!

And no, not Japan. :D Ireland. My dream is to live in Eccles St. (the closest thing Dublin's ever had to a Jewish district :wink: ) but we'll just have to see.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
SSherris

Post by SSherris »

That's interesting... I have distant cousins in Dublin, but I couldn't say if they live off Eccles St.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

SSherris wrote:That's interesting... I have distant cousins in Dublin, but I couldn't say if they live off Eccles St.
http://www.robotwisdom.com/jaj/ulysses/eccles.html

:D Sorry about it, just my little English major joke. I honestly don't know if there is a Jewish district in Dublin -- one of the things I'll have to find out once I get there I guess. (Can one get kosher toads-in-the-hole??)
-- Jeffrey Rowland