Slow uploading

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Is there a good time of day for uploading to http://upload.librivox.org/? It seems to be very slow indeed for me (starting at 35 Kbps and dropping steadily to only 10 Kbps). It takes longer to upload a 35Mb file than to record it. :roll:

It shouldn't be my connection (in theory), as I am on ADSL 8Mb download, 250 Kbps upload. I am in the UK.

Ruth
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

RuthieG wrote:Is there a good time of day for uploading to http://upload.librivox.org/? It seems to be very slow indeed for me (starting at 35 Kbps and dropping steadily to only 10 Kbps). It takes longer to upload a 35Mb file than to record it. :roll:

It shouldn't be my connection (in theory), as I am on ADSL 8Mb download, 250 Kbps upload. I am in the UK.

Ruth
Try first thing in the UK morning! All of us across the pond are surfing the forums and they are all on the same server. :wink:

Esther
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Well, I am lucky if it uploads at 10 Kbps. And those rare times when the speed gets even to 18Kbps is a grand celebration! :) So your case is not that bad (or rather - mine is hopeless. :lol: )

Greetings,
Kristine.
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
DigiSage

Post by DigiSage »

Hi Kiki! I believe you are confusing bits and bytes. When you buy an Internet connection, vendors rate it in terms of bits. When you're downloading or uploading a file, your web browser shows you bytes. 1 bytes = 8 bits.

In other words, your "8mb down, 250kbps" upload connection should really be written "8mbit/s down, 250kbit/s up". In terms of bytes, that's "1mbyte/s up, 31kbyte/s down".

Further simplified, this means your max theoretical speed is 1mbyte/s down (reported by web browser as 1000kbps) and 31kbyte/s up (reported by web browser as 31kbps).

I say 'theoretical' because there is a lot of overhead involved in Internet communications that slows your actual speeds. Additionally, the data your transmitting has to cross a large distance, through a large number of devices, and that slows it further. This all adds up to saying: you won't get your theoretical speed.

Further still, your Internet company likes to slow your upload speed, even beyond what they say they provide to you. Why do they do this? Because most people don't notice. This allows them to have more customers for the same amount of infrastructure investment than otherwise.

To put this clearly: your web browser will never say '250kbps' upload, because that number is actually 250kbit/s, not kbyte/s. 250kbit/s is the same speed as 31kbyte/s. So, max your web browser will ever say is 31kbyte/s. Any number from your Internet provider is bits/s, any number from any program on your computer (web browser, ftp client, whatever) is kbyte/s. It's a great conspiracy designed to fool you :)

10kbps upload (which is more accurately written as 10kbyte/s) is a bit on the slow side. 30kbyte/s would be maximum for your connection. Somewhere in between is what you'll get in real world scenarios. 10kbps is a bit slow for uploading, but it depends on where you are in the world.

To be honest, in terms of broadband, your connection is kind of slow. For example, my cablemodem is 15mbit down, 2mbit up. I say this because I want you to realize that it really should take longer for you to upload a file than to record it at the speed you're operating at.

What can you do about this? You can look into getting a cablemodem instead of DSL, if it's available in your area. You can research the pros and cons of each as long as you want, but take it from a network engineer, myself: cablemodems, more often than not, provide faster upload and download speeds. It's just the way the technology works. DSL is great because it requires only a phone line, and more places have phone lines than cable. But cable has more bandwidth. Get it if you can.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Well, I have certainly learned something today! Many thanks, Digisage. That explains a lot! I am not remotely surprised that ISPs are so devious, considering their interesting use of the term unlimited in terms of bandwidth, but that is a horse of a different colour... :twisted:

Of course, it would be helpful if the abbreviations for megabytes and megabits were more differentiated than MB and Mb (which everyone seems to get wrong, anyway).

Interestingly, I suspect my (theoretical) upload speed is, in fact, 500 Kbps, as speedtest.net indicates that I am achieving 350 Kbps to USA West Coast.

Starlite - thank you. I will, in future, upload in the morning when my American friends are all pushing out the zzzs. :D
NightOwl

Post by NightOwl »

Maybe there's still some force at work that hinders the uploading speed.

I'm uploading now, and it is 11 AM in London, and 3 AM in US west coast (and 6 PM here).

And I have better than DSL (it's supposed to be Fiber connection), and 10 M down, and 2M up.

My uploading speed is a slow 25k, why's that?
Hmm..., there must be something going on......

HC
DigiSage

Post by DigiSage »

Connections across the ocean are notoriously slow. Other than that, I have noticed some backbone congestion in the US these past few days. Unfortunately that is out of my hands.