More R.M.Ballantyne books?

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

Hi! I am interested in getting some more R.M. Ballantyne books on Librivox. Is anybody interested in this also?😊 I noticed this link to his books in another thread awhile back and was wondering if anybody knew if these are all in the public domain? (Link below)
https://archive.org/details/@nick_hodson
"Remember now your Creator in the days of your youth, before the difficult days come...Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man's all." -Ecclesiastes 12:1,13
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

gracesilvey wrote: May 28th, 2024, 7:57 am Hi! I am interested in getting some more R.M. Ballantyne books on Librivox. Is anybody interested in this also?😊 I noticed this link to his books in another thread awhile back and was wondering if anybody knew if these are all in the public domain? (Link below)
https://archive.org/details/@nick_hodson
It looks like he died in 1894 with his final novel published post-humously in 1895, so I would think all his works are public domain worldwide.
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

Okay, thank you for the information!
"Remember now your Creator in the days of your youth, before the difficult days come...Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man's all." -Ecclesiastes 12:1,13
LuellaMargaret

Post by LuellaMargaret »

I just finished reading a copy of 'The Hot Swamp'. It was a little more childish than I was hoping for. Last year I also read 'The Norsemen of the West' and that was somewhat similar. But I LOVE 'The Island Queen', and I know my siblings like some of his other works. So I might be interested in being involved depending on the Ballantyne. I haven't looked into any specific titles, though; usually I just end up reading any hard copy I can get my hands on : )
"It's snowing still. AND freezing. However", (brightening up a little), "we haven't had an earthquake lately". - Eeyore
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

LuellaMargaret wrote: June 5th, 2024, 7:04 pm I just finished reading a copy of 'The Hot Swamp'. It was a little more childish than I was hoping for. Last year I also read 'The Norsemen of the West' and that was somewhat similar. But I LOVE 'The Island Queen', and I know my siblings like some of his other works. So I might be interested in being involved depending on the Ballantyne. I haven't looked into any specific titles, though; usually I just end up reading any hard copy I can get my hands on : )
Thanks for your interest! Yes, I agree some of his books aren't as good as others, so we'll have to find 'the right' one. :wink: Some of my siblings are thinking about starting a group project of one sometime soon. Are you thinking you would like to do a solo or collaborative project?
LuellaMargaret

Post by LuellaMargaret »

I have at least five other books (mostly Haggards) that I would prioritize for soloing (especially as I've only begun my first solo today : ) But I might be up for contributing to a collaboration. Then I wouldn't feel like I'd need to read the book first. I really should look into Ballantyne's further works at some point; I've just been into Haggard for the past year. And Emma Leslie: only one book of hers is on Librivox. Have you heard of her? Children's Church History/ Religious Historical Fiction, in a kind of cross between Henty and Ballantyne for writing style.
"It's snowing still. AND freezing. However", (brightening up a little), "we haven't had an earthquake lately". - Eeyore
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

Okay, gotcha! I'll let you know if/when they start a collab project!

Hm...I don't believe I've ever heard of Emma Leslie. One of here book titles looked slightly familiar when I looked her up, but I know I've never read any of hers. I'll have to listen to the one on here - it's always nice to find good, new authors!
LuellaMargaret

Post by LuellaMargaret »

gracesilvey wrote: June 10th, 2024, 8:45 am Okay, gotcha! I'll let you know if/when they start a collab project!

Hm...I don't believe I've ever heard of Emma Leslie. One of here book titles looked slightly familiar when I looked her up, but I know I've never read any of hers. I'll have to listen to the one on here - it's always nice to find good, new authors!
Thanks! And anyway Ballantyne usually is a fairly easy read (aloud).

I actually haven't listened to the Leslie book that's on Librivox, as I was more interested in her Church history titles. I've read a bunch of those. (I'm thinking of doing one for my next solo...) They can be a bit childish too, but I'd love for my younger siblings to be able to listen to them, especially the ones that aren't quite ready for Henty yet : ) And its great simplified Church history.
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

I've been listening to "A Sailor's Lass" by Emma Leslie today and it's really good! I'll be definitely working to get some more of hers on here in the future!