Blank spaces inserted when using punch and roll

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Why are blank spaces, not recorded silence, inserted using punch and roll in Audacity?
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

To my understanding, it shouldn't be inserting anything. Here's how it seems to work:
1. It plays back the last few seconds of your track for you to hear, but it does not change or add anything. (By default: 5 seconds of playback)
2. As it gets up to the point where your selection cursor is, it very briefly mixes what's already on your track, with what it's hearing from the mic now. (By default: 0.1 seconds of mixing)
3. After that brief bit of mixing, it records exactly as normal.

If there's nothing in your track before you start your punch-and-roll recording, I suppose it would "mix" with blank space. Is that what's happening, or can you go into more detail on how much silence is added, when you do <X>?
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

There's like 15 seconds. The recording keeps its end where I put the cursor. Then there is 15 seconds unrecorded space then the recording starts again where I start again. It doesn't happen all the time. Could it be when I put the cursor where there is a split? It always leaves a split anyway right?
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Sometimes it is less than 15 seconds. Like one second. I always start speaking right away though.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Hmm, when I use punch-and-roll where there is not already a split, it never adds one. :hmm:
That sounds like something to try, at any rate. Click just before the end of your previous clip, and let it overwrite the end. If you want to record without overwriting anything, then you probably want the "regular" record instead of the "punch and roll" record.
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Here is what I had happen on mine: after doing the recording using punch and roll, I removed the extra silence at the beginning of the recording and a space got inserted into the first punch and roll equal to the space I took out of the front of the recording. Removing the space that was added then produced another space at the next punch and roll point, and so on. I remedied this by exporting my recording to a wav file before making any adjustments to it, closed the recording, opened up the wav, cut out the extra silence at the front and viola, no extra spaces added into the recording as it is now one whole file instead of multiple punch and rolls.
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Thank you both so much for your replies. I think I need to do some more investigating since sometimes it inserts blanks and sometimes it doesn't.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

How about in menu Edit -> Preferences, tab Track Behaviors, is "Editing a clip can move other clips" checked? That's something for Barry to check, too, perhaps :hmm:
Also, "Always paste audio as new clips" should preferably be unchecked, I think.
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Rapunzelina wrote: June 8th, 2024, 3:49 am How about in menu Edit -> Preferences, tab Track Behaviors, is "Editing a clip can move other clips" checked? That's something for Barry to check, too, perhaps :hmm:
Also, "Always paste audio as new clips" should preferably be unchecked, I think.
YES! Checking the "Editing a clip can move other clips" solved the problem for me. The "Always paste audio as new clips" was already unchecked. Thank you. :9:
Barry
My Recordings
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Rapunzelina wrote: June 8th, 2024, 3:49 am How about in menu Edit -> Preferences, tab Track Behaviors, is "Editing a clip can move other clips" checked? That's something for Barry to check, too, perhaps :hmm:
"Editing a clip can move other clips" was checked. Also, I don's see a "Always paste audio as new clips" . I think my Audacity is gaslighting me. :lol:

Is "Enable dragging selection edges" supposed to be checked or unchecked. Mine is checked.
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

brownrottger wrote: June 8th, 2024, 4:53 pm "Editing a clip can move other clips" was checked. Also, I don's see a "Always paste audio as new clips" . I think my Audacity is gaslighting me. :lol:

Is "Enable dragging selection edges" supposed to be checked or unchecked. Mine is checked.
"Always paste audio as new clips" is directly below the "Editing a clip can move other clips".

Yes, you want the "Enable dragging selection edges" to be checked. When you click and drag the cursor on the recording so that you have highlighted a section, this feature allows you to then click on the edge of the highlighted section and move it one way or the other. I don't see that option in my list of preferences though. Are you using the latest version of Audacity?
Barry
My Recordings
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

KiltedDragon wrote: June 8th, 2024, 5:29 pm
brownrottger wrote: June 8th, 2024, 4:53 pm "Editing a clip can move other clips" was checked. Also, I don's see a "Always paste audio as new clips" . I think my Audacity is gaslighting me. :lol:

"Always paste audio as new clips" is directly below the "Editing a clip can move other clips".

Yes, you want the "Enable dragging selection edges" to be checked. When you click and drag the cursor on the recording so that you have highlighted a section, this feature allows you to then click on the edge of the highlighted section and move it one way or the other. I don't see that option in my list of preferences though. Are you using the latest version of Audacity?
I think I have the latest version. Do you know how I can check on that?
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

NVM. I found that. I hope that solves this issue. I'll let you know. Thanks again everyone!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

So updating my Audacity seems to have taken care of the problem. There is also a free downloadable plug-in that deletes all the blank spaces in a recording. https://audionyq.com/remove-space-between-clips/

Thanks again!