2024 Microphone Recommendations

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
kristiking2012

Post by kristiking2012 »

Hey folks,

I'm just starting out here and I'm looking for recommendations on microphone brands on a budget.
I have a Macbook; it would need to produce better quality than the built in speakers. I've already done my 1 minute test. I used a bluetooth headset for it, but experimented and found the built-in speakers are better.

Good noise reduction would be handy since I live in an apartment and have limited control over noises.
I'm looking for something $100 or less, ideally $50 or less. If you have a mic you love that's over that, please share it anyway, as I hope to level up in a few months if things go well.

I came across a wiki page I can no longer find that included some microphone recs, but it was 10-15 years old. I'm hoping to get recs more recent than those.

Thanks in advance!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Well, welcome to LibriVox! We're glad to have you join us! :mrgreen:

That wiki page might be this one: User-Recommended Equipment
...and I suppose that is quite old! Might still be handy in knowing what to look for in general, at least.

Myself, I never leveled up from the Blue Yeti, and it doesn't handle noise all that well. I use Audacity's Noise Reduction after I'm done recording, instead. Aside from that, I'm pretty happy with it since I worked out the right positioning for me. :wink:
kristiking2012

Post by kristiking2012 »

Thanks!

That's the page I read, thanks for digging it up!

I was just looking at a Blue Yeti from Target and considering going for it. It might make more sense to just go for that now than spend $50 now and then another $100 in a few months. I'll see if anyone else has found something that filters out sound a bit better. If not, the noise reduction in Audacity does work surprisingly well. I was able to pretty easily eliminate my air conditioning while I experimented.
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Also, depending on how warm it is where you live, you could turn off the air conditioner while you record.
I don't have air conditioning but I do turn off the furnace and do minimal noise removal.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

My suggestion is the Audio-Technica AT2500x USB. $67.95 from Amazon. Add a foam windscreen for about $4.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

I use the 'the t.bone SC 420 USB Desktop-Set' for $54. You will found it here: https://www.thomannmusic.com/the_t.bone_sc_420_usb_desktop_set.htm?
It's a bundle, includes PVC case, shock mount, USB cable, foam wind shield, Popkiller and tabletop tripod.
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 5 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 1 Rolle frei
loon

Post by loon »

I'm also a fan of making some cheap modifications to your recording space to give whatever mic you can afford a fighting chance. A couple years ago the folks at NPR made this video on building a pillow fort to help the mic in a problematic room:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfgbtBBumjo
Current Dramatic Reading: Stand By For Mars! - Roles open.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
kristiking2012

Post by kristiking2012 »

sjmarky wrote: May 17th, 2024, 7:49 pm My suggestion is the Audio-Technica AT2500x USB. $67.95 from Amazon. Add a foam windscreen for about $4.
Thanks! I'll take a look at this.
kristiking2012

Post by kristiking2012 »

lorda wrote: May 20th, 2024, 3:02 pm I use the 'the t.bone SC 420 USB Desktop-Set' for $54. You will found it here: https://www.thomannmusic.com/the_t.bone_sc_420_usb_desktop_set.htm?
It's a bundle, includes PVC case, shock mount, USB cable, foam wind shield, Popkiller and tabletop tripod.
Thanks! I'll take a look.
kristiking2012

Post by kristiking2012 »

loon wrote: May 20th, 2024, 7:34 pm I'm also a fan of making some cheap modifications to your recording space to give whatever mic you can afford a fighting chance. A couple years ago the folks at NPR made this video on building a pillow fort to help the mic in a problematic room:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfgbtBBumjo
I've heard podcasters talk about pillow forts before, but wasn't really sure what that entailed. That video was really helpful. While I'm using my laptop I'm going to try out recording lying on my bed with a blanket over my head to see how that sounds in comparison. Thanks for sharing!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Let us know how it works out for you! Personally, I don't know that I would ever be comfortable recording while lying down. For me, it feels necessary to be upright from the waist up at least, in order to have the proper breath support. But on the other hand, I've never tried it any other way! :lol: