[FULL][Short Stories]The Black Cat Vol. 04 No. 05 February 1899 - kit

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Logancircle2 wrote: May 26th, 2024, 10:04 amThis is my first one, I hope it checks all the boxes.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0405feb1899_3_various_128kb.mp3 14:34
first of all, wow, what a story :shock: though I am not on the woman's side here, since she seems to forget that her boy was a mass murderer in the first place. :evil:

Your reading is excellent, you have a very agreeable voice for narration. And I love the doleful tone of voice you give poor Manuel in his narrative. Good job with the Spanish as well. I really enjoyed the story, so thank you for that.

I only have a few small PL notes to offer, mainly some cuts in overly long silences, nothing difficult, so definitely no need to re-record from scratch (I mention this because some new readers feel they need to rerecord, which is definitely not recommendable - too much work for both of us ;) )

Concerning the longer silences: I usually recommend staying well under 2 seconds. Even between paragraphs, usually 1.5 is fully enough, inside sentences even that feels long. Longer silences easily break the flow of the story and feel very long for a listener to wait for the story to continue.

I have noted down the ones which would benefit from cutting.

> from 0:34 to 0:37
> from 1:23 to 1:25
> from 4:57 to 4:59
> from 11:18 to 11:20
> from 14:23 to 14:26

Then some further notes for correction:

> at the beginning: we recommend 0.5 to 1 second of silence, yours starts a bit abruptly, could you insert a little bit there (though not more than 1 second)

> at 0:37: repetition of the title is not needed, you can cut one version

> at 13:57: (p. 25) "and gazing away across the brown fields" - you say "from". There were a few instances where you slightly deviated from the text, but I didn't note it down because it didn't change the meaning, but here in this case it does change the meaning a bit

> at the end: we need a standard of 5 seconds of silence, you have over 6, maybe cut a bit there as well

That's it. Please reupload with the exact same filename, as the old file will get replaced by the new one in that case.

Thank you, wonderful first recording, and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the listen.

Sonia
Logancircle2

Post by Logancircle2 »

Got it. Deletions complete, but I'll have to pick up "across" and slide it in. I looked for another "across" but there isn't one :(
Logancircle2

Post by Logancircle2 »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Logancircle2 wrote: May 27th, 2024, 1:52 pmGot it. Deletions complete, but I'll have to pick up "across" and slide it in. I looked for another "across" but there isn't one :(
ah yes, pasting in one word from another part also often sounds odd because the intonation of that word in another sentence may not be the same that is required for the sentence that needs to be corrected. In such a case I usually re-record that part of the sentence where the faulty word appears. It often sounds smoother as transition. You did it very well in your correction. :thumbs:
:thumbs: perfect edits, thanks, this can be marked PL ok. The opening silence is now a bit over 1 second, but it's ok as it is for this time. No need to re-upload just for that. Maybe remember it for your future sections ;)

So: congrats to your first official section done. :birthday: Many more to come hopefully.

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Sonia,

Here is Chapter 2 -

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0405feb1899_2_various_128kb.mp3

Run time is 19:45

Take care,

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

now that was a very cool story 8-) And the practical joke at the end was quite funny :lol: excellently narrated, Greg, thank you so much.

Only two small edits to make:

> at 11:35: (p. 17) repeat, can be cut once "Mrs Barden"
> at 12:51: (p. 17) "in every man's heart and mind" – you say "soul"

thanks

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Sonia,

Here is Chapter Two with the requested edits:

Run time is now 19:42

Take care,

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 3:04 pmHere is Chapter Two with the requested edits:
perfect edits and now PL ok, thank you Greg :)

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 11:29 pm
GregGiordano wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 3:04 pmHere is Chapter Two with the requested edits:
perfect edits and now PL ok, thank you Greg :)

Sonia
You are most welcome!
Lmarinho

Post by Lmarinho »

I'm so sorry to do this, but due to a family emergency, I don't think I will be able to complete the part I claimed, so I'm going to relinquish it (Lynchpin Sensation). Best of luck with the project and sorry for the inconvenience!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Lmarinho wrote: June 14th, 2024, 8:32 amI'm so sorry to do this, but due to a family emergency, I don't think I will be able to complete the part I claimed, so I'm going to relinquish it (Lynchpin Sensation). Best of luck with the project and sorry for the inconvenience!
thank you for letting me know right away. I hope your family emergency will get sorted out. And we'll be seeing you back here at some point. :) There will be Black Cats for a long time still.

Meanwhile section 4 is opened up again for an interested reader. And we move back to Readers Wanted...

Sonia
JulieB3

Post by JulieB3 »

I'd be happy to adopt that section if you like. :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JulieB3 wrote: June 15th, 2024, 5:43 am I'd be happy to adopt that section if you like. :D
super, thank you Julie :) and we're back to readers found 8-)

Sonia