1-Minute Test Recording - jgreenevans [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
jgreenevans

Post by jgreenevans »

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jgreenevans.mp3

Hi,
I've attempted to record this test twice. The link above is to my second attempt. I put both tests in the Checker program and both times it said, "Passed With Warnings" and "The volume falls outside of the target range (86-92 dB).

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, or why the recording isn't loud enough. The first test was conversational volume with the microphone in a mic stand about 6 inches from my mouth. The second test, I was purposely speaking loudly, while holding the microphone in my hand, close to my mouth. And it still isn't loud enough.

My microphone is a Shure SM58, plugged into a Focusrite Scarlett Solo (2nd generation). I'm recording with Audacity 3.5.1 in a laptop running Windows 10.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jay Evans
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Welcome Jay

So here's the thing. The SM58 is dynamic mic. Nothing wrong with that, however dynamics by virtue of their design put out a weaker signal (as compared to a condenser mic). The Solo just doesn't have enough preamp gain for a dynamic. I assume you've turned the input gain knob all the way up.

You have two options if you want to keep this mic. One is to get a supplemental preamp like a CloudLifter of Fethead. Unfortunately, each cost more than your mic.

The other is to boost the volume in Audacity. There are two ways: Adjust the volume level before exporting by going to Effects>Amplify and enter an amount (you need another 10dB).
Or Effects>Loudness Normalization, choose RMS and enter -23db (Checker uses a different scale - this is the same as +89db).

The good news is that you have a low noise floor so the software option will work.

The other option is of course to replace the mic with a condenser mic, for which the Solo has enough gain.

Try one of those, make a new test recording and post it in a reply to this message. I will come back and review it for you.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
jgreenevans

Post by jgreenevans »

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jgreenevans.mp3

Hi sjmarky!

Thanks for all of the help! I did as you suggested and the new file passed in the Checker program!

I appreciate the pointers that you gave in your response. I didn't know anything about recording when I bought my microphone and the scarlett solo. I still don't know that much, actually. I have to record sitting in my car, with the car parked inside of my garage, because there are no quiet places inside of my house. Since I don't have an optimal place to record, I'd read somewhere that the SM58 wouldn't pick up all kinds of background noise the way that some of the more powerful microphones do. So that's why I chose that microphone. I just didn't know that I'd need a Cloudlifter as well.

Eventually, I'd like to get a better microphone as well as a better place to record. In the mean time, I'll have to adjust the settings like you mentioned. Thanks again!
Jay Evans
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Dynamics are most commonly used for broadcast and live events, where the external noise rejection is a big plus. Plus they can be hand-held.

Okay, you are good to go.

Happy narrating!
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
jgreenevans

Post by jgreenevans »

Thanks again for all of your help!
Jay Evans