My recorder doesn't do 128 kbps in MONO...

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Makiji

Post by Makiji »

...It's a Sony ICD UX-533. It records in MONO at 48 kbps. Does this mean I need a new / different recorder? It does record at 128 kbps in Stereo.
Any ideas? Thanks
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Where do you edit your recordings? You could probably turn a stereo recording into mono in Audacity, or in another audio editor of your choice.
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

I would recommend recording in one of the high quality settings such as 192kbps stereo or 44.1k uncompressed, and then transferring the files to a computer for editing. When you export the mp3 file on the computer, you can select mono 128 kbps at that time.
So that's what an invisible barrier looks like... (Time Bandits)
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

Oh, a couple of other notes....

The 4 GB of storage on that recorder will hold about 7 hours of audio in the uncompressed setting, or about 40 hours of audio in the 192 kbps setting. The quality difference won't be substantial, so for convenience sake, I would probably choose the 192 kbps setting. Once you get hooked on Librivox, cleaning off the device when uncompressed fills up will get inconvenient. ;-)

Pocket recorders are a pretty good way to record audiobooks in my opinion. They tend to have pretty good microphones, and allow you to focus on your reading instead of messing with a computer application. But for editing, you'll probably want to use Audacity since that's what the most people know around here.

Cheers.
So that's what an invisible barrier looks like... (Time Bandits)
loon

Post by loon »

Makiji wrote: May 26th, 2024, 7:50 am ...It's a Sony ICD UX-533. It records in MONO at 48 kbps. Does this mean I need a new / different recorder? It does record at 128 kbps in Stereo.
Any ideas? Thanks
You can record in stereo and convert to mono in editing. If you edit with Audacity you can either edit the stereo track and export to a mono mp3 or you can split the stereo to two mono tracks and delete one of those before you start editing. Your recorder should be fine.
Current Dramatic Reading: Stand By For Mars! - Roles open.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN