Why is a description of a group project that I drafted showing up on mysticbooks.org?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I was poking about randomly on the internet, and came across this page, which contains the description I drafted for a BC that’s still in progress (complete with the code for italics, rather than the actual italics that are currently in the description. There’s no audiobook link (presumably that’s to come once the project is published).

I’m not concerned, just curious as to why Mystic Books is publishing this description before the project has finished.

Cheers,
Winnifred
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

What exactly their thought process is, I can't say, but this is how they describe themselves:
"Our website features an extensive collection of books and audiobooks that are available for free, sourced from public domain repositories such as archive.org, gutenberg.org, and librivox.org." https://mysticbooks.org/about-us
They might have some kind of bot that checks and automatically uploads any new project's description. Interestingly, they are decent enough to not download MP3s of unfinished projects, sparing the forum the higher traffic volume.
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen:
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I'm there too! :lol

https://mysticbooks.org/book/where-the-blue-begins

They better be patient! My solo book will cook for awhile yet! :twisted:
Use an RSS Feed and you will never be hungry again.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

lightcrystal wrote: May 21st, 2024, 12:35 pm I'm there too! :lol

https://mysticbooks.org/book/where-the-blue-begins
If you search for lightcrystal you get:

Christian Astrology
By William Lilly

The first comprehensive astrology textbook in English; up to this point they had been written in Latin. William Lilly takes the astrology student from beginner to advanced through thorough examples. Today "Christian Astrology" is still popular for both astrology enthusiasts and professionals. Its influence upon astrology, theosophy and the new age movement remains enormous. - Summary by lightcrystal

They better be patient! My solo book will cook for awhile yet! :twisted:
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I don't mind that much as long as the MW files are not soaked up by a bot, crawler etc. It gives me a reason to get back to it :D

I found my last solo "Yorkshire Battles". My book description was too succinct for them. They replaced it with this Hadrian's wall of text:

This is an enthralling exploration of the historic conflicts that have shaped the landscape and the people of Yorkshire. This compelling book takes readers on a captivating journey through time, delving into the stories behind the battles that unfolded in this renowned region of England. Penned by Edward Lamplough, a renowned historian and author, Yorkshire Battles provides a rich tapestry of meticulously researched accounts that transport readers to pivotal moments in history. From medieval clashes to Civil War skirmishes and beyond, Lamplough's vivid storytelling breathes life into the heroes, villains, and pivotal events that have shaped the course of Yorkshire's history. This historical masterpiece sheds light on the strategies, motivations, and sacrifices of both well-known and lesser-known battles. Whether it's the iconic Battle of Towton during the Wars of the Roses or the lesser-known Battle of Stamford Bridge that preceded the Norman Conquest, Lamplough's meticulous attention to detail ensures an immersive experience for readers. Yorkshire Battles is more than a mere historical account. It is a testament to the resilience and determination of the people who have called Yorkshire home, showcasing their spirit in the face of adversity. Through Lamplough's engaging prose, readers witness the unfolding drama, sense the palpable tension, and gain a deeper appreciation for the profound impact these battles had on Yorkshire's cultural heritage. This book, written in accessible language, offers a treasure trove of historical insights that will captivate both history enthusiasts and casual readers alike. Lamplough's thorough research, combined with his passion for storytelling, results in a compelling narrative that unveils the epic tales of bravery, strategy, and sacrifice that reverberate through the Yorkshire countryside. Yorkshire Battles by Edward Lamplough serves as a valuable resource for those seeking to explore the rich history of Yorkshire or deepen their understanding of England's past. It stands as a testament to the enduring relevance of these battles, while also honoring the remarkable individuals who shaped the course of history in this remarkable region. Yorkshire Battles holds significant relevance for history enthusiasts, scholars, and those with an interest in Yorkshire's rich heritage. Edward Lamplough's comprehensive exploration of these historic conflicts sheds light on the region's cultural significance and offers valuable insights into the struggles, triumphs, and legacies that have defined Yorkshire's history. With a focus on search engine optimization (SEO), this book brings historical narratives to the forefront, connecting readers to the captivating stories of Yorkshire's battles and the author's authoritative expertise.

That last bit: With a focus on search engine optimization (SEO), this book brings historical narratives to the forefront, connecting readers to the captivating stories of Yorkshire's battles and the author's authoritative expertise.

Amazing battles! They were riding around on horseback doing search engine optimization :D
Clearly that was done with AI to make something so silly.

This is all hilarious. Who is behind this site? Amazing. They do give my book a cute cover though! :lol:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

How interesting. I had never heard of this website. It looks like they have several of my projects as well, although I don't see an entry for my current solo. Not surprising, since I only launched it a week ago. They have kept the descriptions I wrote for most of them (that I checked), but here is a very interesting and inexplicable change for If I Had a Father by George MacDonald.

My description:
Arthur Gervaise, a London sculptor, learns too late of his love for a woman, while his absentee father secretly tries to serve and help him. Meanwhile, an old country man searches frantically for his daughter, whose disappearance he suspects Arthur has something to do with. These two fathers' devotion to their adult children causes those around them to reevaluate and elevate their own ideas of fatherhood.
Mystic Books' description:
A young boy's journey to find his father is a story of self-discovery and the power of love. If I Had a Father is a novel by George MacDonald, a Scottish minister and author who is best known for his children's books. The novel tells the story of a young boy named Arthur who is raised by his mother after his father abandons them. Arthur longs for a father figure in his life, and he sets out on a journey to find him. Along the way, Arthur meets a variety of people who teach him about the importance of love, courage, and self-sacrifice. He also learns about his own strength and resilience. In the end, Arthur finds his father, but he also finds something even more important: a sense of belonging and self-worth. If I Had a Father is a story of hope and redemption. It is a reminder that even in the darkest of times, there is always light to be found. The novel is sure to touch the hearts of readers of all ages.
This is not a novel, but a play. Arthur is a grown man, not a young boy, he is not abandoned by his father, and his mother makes no appearance, nor (so far as I can remember) is she even mentioned. Arthur makes no journey in this play and meets a handful of people, I suppose. MacDonald is in no way interested in Arthur's self-discovery, self-worth, strength, or resilience.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Wow. I'll keep an eye on the site and make sure they don't massacre my description. I'm glad they don't download work in progress, but it does seem a bit odd to be throwing up descriptions that might not yet be complete and are not attached to a recording. It might fit their workflow better, but it isn't exactly going to endear them to listeners who think they've found an interesting audiobook and won't understand why the links aren't there yet.

They'd have to be registered on the Forum to access these, wouldn't they?

Cheers,
Winnifred
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Winnifred wrote: May 25th, 2024, 4:06 pm They'd have to be registered on the Forum to access these, wouldn't they?
No. You can view project threads (most things, really) without logging in.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I think I see how it works. Some of the entries contain only the audiobooks while others have links to ebooks and PDFs as well. So they likely pick the description they like best from among all the options. They certainly didn't pick my version for this one (completed solo):

My description of The Crux:
""This story is, first, for young women to read; second, for young men to read; after that, for anybody who wants to. Anyone who doubts its facts and figures is referred to "Social Diseases and Marriage," by Dr. Prince Morrow, or to "Hygiene and Morality," by Miss Lavinia Dock, a trained nurse of long experience.

Some will hold that the painful facts disclosed are unfit for young girls to know. Young girls are precisely the ones who must know them, in order that they may protect themselves and their children to come. The time to know of danger is before it is too late to avoid it." From the Preface to The Crux.

A novel about the potential dangers of syphilis to one over-sheltered but rebellious young woman in 19th century America and the circle of friends who counsel her against making a disastrous marriage. (Summaries by Charlotte Perkins Gilman and Winnifred Assmann.)"

The description they have on the site:
"In "The Crux" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a chilling and thought-provoking tale awaits. Enter a world where the boundaries between reality and illusion blur, and the mind's depths are plumbed to their darkest corners. This captivating story opens with a young woman's seemingly mundane encounter with an elderly lady. However, as their interaction unfolds, it becomes clear that there's more to the situation than meets the eye. Delving into themes of identity, perception, and the fragility of the human psyche, Gilman weaves a tale that challenges the very fabric of reality. As the young woman grapples with the enigmatic older lady's unsettling revelations, readers are taken on a journey through the labyrinthine corridors of the mind. "The Crux" is a mesmerizing exploration of the human experience, leaving us questioning the boundaries of our understanding and the hidden truths that lie within."

Hoo boy! That's a completely different book than I read!
Winnifred
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mightyfelix wrote: May 25th, 2024, 11:55 am This is not a novel, but a play. Arthur is a grown man, not a young boy, he is not abandoned by his father, and his mother makes no appearance, nor (so far as I can remember) is she even mentioned. Arthur makes no journey in this play and meets a handful of people, I suppose. MacDonald is in no way interested in Arthur's self-discovery, self-worth, strength, or resilience.
This is the kind of generic nonsense output that AI gives...
mightyfelix wrote: May 25th, 2024, 4:13 pm No. You can view project threads (most things, really) without logging in.
Which is something I wish weren't possible actually - I have a project that is being uploaded to youtube piece by piece from the project thread as far as I can tell, even before the section pass PL.
Show these neglected projects some love!
Lectures on the History and Principles of Ancient Commerce History
Logic for the Million "a familiar exposition of the art of reasoning"
Pascal
DPL 17 51 58
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Here's Surprise House, another one of my solos with an unrecognizable description.

My description:
"Our story begins just after Nan Corliss, an eccentric old lady, dies and leaves her strange old house in Crowfield to her nephew, Dr. Owen Corliss, his wife, daughter Mary, and son John. The Corliss family move in, only to find that Aunt Nan has left practical jokes, mysterious clues based on Shakespeare’s poetry, and surprises, both in the library bequeathed specifically to Mary and elsewhere in the house, for the family to find. (Summary by Winnifred Assmann)"

Theirs, complete with "[name of the protagonist]"!
"This delightful book takes readers on a captivating journey filled with wonder, imagination, and unexpected surprises. In Surprise House, readers are introduced to a curious and adventurous individual who stumbles upon a remarkable house hidden within a magical forest. As the character explores the mysterious rooms and corridors of the house, they encounter delightful creatures, encounter challenges, and unlock the secrets that lie within. Abbie Farwell Brown's storytelling prowess shines through in Surprise House. With her engaging prose and vivid descriptions, she creates a world where imagination reigns supreme and the ordinary transforms into the extraordinary. Young readers will be captivated by the whimsical charm and fantastical elements woven throughout the narrative. The heart of Surprise House lies in the themes it explores. Through the magical adventures of [name of the protagonist], readers are encouraged to embrace curiosity, open their minds to new possibilities, and appreciate the beauty of unexpected encounters. The book instills important life lessons about friendship, resilience, and the power of believing in oneself. Surprise House holds a special place in children's literature, captivating readers of all ages with its timeless appeal. Abbie Farwell Brown's ability to create a world brimming with magic and enchantment has made the book a beloved classic. With its engaging storyline, endearing characters, and a touch of mystery, Surprise House has become a cherished favorite among young readers. Its enduring popularity speaks volumes about its ability to transport readers into a world where imagination knows no bounds. Whether you're a young reader embarking on a magical adventure or an adult seeking a nostalgic journey, Surprise House by Abbie Farwell Brown promises to whisk you away to a realm where dreams come alive and the ordinary is transformed into something extraordinary. Immerse yourself in the whimsical pages of Surprise House, and discover a world of enchantment that will leave you captivated from beginning to end."

I read the whole book twice. There is no magic or enchantment, no magical forest, and the only delightful creature is a black cat named Caliban... And the most significant aspect (clues from Shakespeare) is completely missing...
Winnifred
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There is really no point in continuing this conversation - our recordings are PD which means people can do what they like with it.
One would hope that anyone reading the AI description would be very disappointed about your readings your readings and complain to the runners of the site concerned but posting their "summaries" only gives them more publicity - you are no doubt add to their statistics and maybe their income.

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

annise wrote: May 25th, 2024, 10:05 pm There is really no point in continuing this conversation - our recordings are PD which means people can do what they like with it.
One would hope that anyone reading the AI description would be very disappointed about your readings your readings and complain to the runners of the site concerned but posting their "summaries" only gives them more publicity - you are no doubt add to their statistics and maybe their income.

Anne
Well, that's why I copied and pasted rather than posting a link back to their page. But I take your point.

What a very strange website this is...