[SOLO] Old Times in the Colonies, Charles Carleton Coffin - tg

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

You're so good to me!
Like a story that we wish was never ending, we know sometime we must reach the final page. Still we carry on just pretending that there'll always be one more book to go. - Fading Lights, Genesis
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Like a story that we wish was never ending, we know sometime we must reach the final page. Still we carry on just pretending that there'll always be one more book to go. - Fading Lights, Genesis
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK. I won't get to it until next week. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Chapter 5 PL OK!
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Ch 6 is ready.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Chapter 6 PL OK!
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Ch 7 is ready for PL.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

5:24 - "'I will lend you money and obtain ships,' he said, thinking the while..." - "he said" is missing. It has ""'I will lend you money and obtain ships,' thinking the while..." (This might be confusing for the listener, not knowing the quote ended, but your voice does also indicate it, so I'm not sure it NEEDS to be fixed.)

16:24 - "The governor came in state, the drummer..." - I hear "The governor came in, the drummer..." (changes the meaning, but I'll leave it to you if you want to change it.)

Interesting. I had learned that the Pilgrims had a charter for a colony in Virginia, but a storm blew them off course. Since the charter wasn't in effect outside of Virginia, they had to make their own laws. If that's correct (how does this fit into the Plymouth Company?), then this book didn't really accurately represent the whole "beginning of self-rule" thing.

"When men rule themselves there will be the largest freedom; they will respect the rights of their fellow-men, for only by so doing can they have their own rights." This isn't exactly the reality today, is it?

I see 8 is up as well. I'll get to that another time. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Chapter 8 PL OK!
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

TriciaG wrote: May 27th, 2024, 12:53 pm 5:24 - "'I will lend you money and obtain ships,' he said, thinking the while..." - "he said" is missing. It has ""'I will lend you money and obtain ships,' thinking the while..." (This might be confusing for the listener, not knowing the quote ended, but your voice does also indicate it, so I'm not sure it NEEDS to be fixed.)

16:24 - "The governor came in state, the drummer..." - I hear "The governor came in, the drummer..." (changes the meaning, but I'll leave it to you if you want to change it.)

Interesting. I had learned that the Pilgrims had a charter for a colony in Virginia, but a storm blew them off course. Since the charter wasn't in effect outside of Virginia, they had to make their own laws. If that's correct (how does this fit into the Plymouth Company?), then this book didn't really accurately represent the whole "beginning of self-rule" thing.

"When men rule themselves there will be the largest freedom; they will respect the rights of their fellow-men, for only by so doing can they have their own rights." This isn't exactly the reality today, is it?

I see 8 is up as well. I'll get to that another time. :)
I'll see if I can find another "he said," somewhere and paste it in. :)
I'll also see about adding the "in state."

As to the historical accuracy, history books always have some question to them due to hearsay and bias.
As to our ability to live freely, I see things acting situationally. Some freedoms are loosened, while others are impinged. While the media have always swayed opinion, the intensity has never been so strong.
I've reacted by becoming more hermit-like.

I feel like the villagers in Anatevka: Let the outside world break its own head!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yeah, like the Puritans' code: "Profane no Divine ordinance. Touch no State matters. Urge no healths. Pick no quarrels. Encourage no vice. Repeat no grievances. Reveal no secrets. Maintain no ill opinions. Make no comparisons. Keep no bad company. Make no long meals. Lay no wagers." :)
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

I think I got them fixed. The new ch 7 is uploaded.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

PL OK. 8-)
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Ch 9 is ready for PL.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Chapter 9 PL OK!