[SOLO HISTORY] Imperialism and World Politics, Part 2 of 4 by Parker Thomas Moon - kd

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Alister! don't scare poor Sir DrSpoke again with queen Zaodito's voice! (but I was mightily impressed..)

One possible note, just because the commercial and territorial "shares" themes run parallel and are interestingly relevant; for you to decide if it can stay:

157@45:49 - missing information underlined

The railway from Jibuti to Addis Ababa [...] representatives on the board of directors
Alister

Post by Alister »

DrSpoke wrote: May 10th, 2024, 11:05 am Alister! don't scare poor Sir DrSpoke again with queen Zaodito's voice! (but I was mightily impressed..)
This is good :)

I cheated a little by setting up a very, very slight pitch shift on my microphone hub.

But there is a lot more to vocal gender dimorphism than just pitch, unfortunately. And a lot research and practice and testing are required on my part to convincingly do female voices. I will undoubtedly have to do a lot more female voices, if I stick a toe into the fiction category.

This is actually mildly concerning and I lament what it will do to my search history. I will be feeding the algorithms in the wrong way. And I suspect I may start getting some very off-brand advertisements and video suggestions online :lol:.
DrSpoke wrote: May 10th, 2024, 11:05 am 157@45:49 - missing information underlined

The railway from Jibuti to Addis Ababa [...] representatives on the board of directors
Fixed :)
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Alister wrote: May 20th, 2024, 8:43 pm
This is good :)
No laughing matter, Alister. Poor old Sir DrSpoke, if you had seen his glazed look one evening at the Garrick, sitting right under the righteous flames of Blair’s selfie on that worn-out (but of arseous glory) armchair – terrified at the idea of queen Zaodito’s feminine ghost violating such untouchable temple; you would restrain your cruelty for once!

Splok, otherwise.
Alister

Post by Alister »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/imperialismworldpoliticspart2_03_moon_128kb.mp3

Pow.

Did somebody call Section 03? Well I'm sure someone did somewhere, in some thread at any rate :P
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Alister wrote: May 24th, 2024, 7:15 am Pow.
Section 3

173@32:08
for the whites were by no means agreeable to the Chartered Company’s privileges
for the settlers were by no means agreeable to the Chartered Company’s privileges

Bemused for years by too many Rhodes original quotes, like femurs in their glass casings - no longer, thanks Alister! -, Sir DrSpoke allows himself to shyly chuckle, then resumes his serious task of memorising the list he came up with of current “self-made” followers of the “Pure philanthropy is very well in its way, but philanthropy plus five per cent is a good deal better” philosophy: bloody hell!, time to show his younger Garrickans on the board of directors that he’s still worth his red poppy.
The gentleman also wonders where your mind was when reading (160@ 02:04) But the boy's health failed
Alister

Post by Alister »

DrSpoke wrote: May 25th, 2024, 12:35 am The gentleman also wonders where your mind was when reading (160@ 02:04) But the boy's health failed
Quite frankly my mind was probably still on the Father. That seems like an absolute bucket-load of kids for an Anglican. Seems to have been a rather lusty fellow for a pastor :hmm:
Alister

Post by Alister »

DrSpoke wrote: May 25th, 2024, 12:35 am
Alister wrote: May 24th, 2024, 7:15 am Pow.
Section 3

173@32:08
for the whites were by no means agreeable to the Chartered Company’s privileges
for the settlers were by no means agreeable to the Chartered Company’s privileges
https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/imperialismworldpoliticspart2_03_moon_128kb.mp3

It is fixed :)

32:46

So I was making a digital copy with my book scanner of an old paperback published in 1938. Paperbacks don't tend to last so well. Anyway. . . I found a bookmark in it round about page 100 - a 'tramways' ticket in mint condition from a state whose trams shut down in 1961. Darndest thing. Lovely glimpse into the personal history of the volume. Particularly ironic is the "PLEASE DESTROY ON ALIGHTING" written on the ticket.
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Alister wrote: May 31st, 2024, 1:27 am
It is fixed : ) ( : and sploked

32:46

So I was making a digital copy with my book scanner of an old paperback published in 1938. Paperbacks don't tend to last so well. Anyway. . . I found a bookmark in it round about page 100 - a 'tramways' ticket in mint condition from a state whose trams shut down in 1961. Darndest thing. Lovely glimpse into the personal history of the volume. Particularly ironic is the "PLEASE DESTROY ON ALIGHTING" written on the ticket.
Great opening for your book. Could you hire me as your editor? It's ok to pay me once you start selling (and earning from) it.
I'm so thrilled by all the labyrinthine side alleys this bookmark will take us into - of course you will deal with the actual page it was tucked in, and its cryptic content, only about half way through the book. I also would keep that "PLEASE DESTROY ON ALIGHTING" message as the title - The Swan by the Sea wouldn't sell as much. Terrific. Thank you Alister!
Alister

Post by Alister »

I dunno. It is a great book title but I think "PLEASE DESTROY ON ALIGHTING" sets the entirely wrong tone. That sounds like an action thriller. I can picture the hero now, walking away dramatically from combusting public transportation.
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Alister wrote: May 31st, 2024, 2:45 am I dunno. It is a great book title but I think "PLEASE DESTROY ON ALIGHTING" sets the entirely wrong tone. That sounds like an action thriller. I can picture the hero now, walking away dramatically from combusting public transportation.
well, it depends on the reader. If in Rome, or in London, walking away dramatically from combusting public transportation it could just be an example of spontaneous fire due to temperatures in a normally* crowded bus/tube - both physics-related and mood-related - reaching critical point. But I'll leave that to you. I still think you should start expanding that beginning and consider writing the book.

* normally does not mean good or healthy in these instances
Alister

Post by Alister »

Alas, I will probably never write a book. Worldbuilding is too much fun—and plotting is too boring and difficult—for me to ever complete one.
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Alister wrote: May 31st, 2024, 3:29 am
Kind of divine statement.
Alister

Post by Alister »

DrSpoke wrote: June 1st, 2024, 11:16 am
Alister wrote: May 31st, 2024, 3:29 am
Kind of divine statement.
Eh. At least 5 percent of the reason I'm so well read up on history is world building requirements. Not a lot of people feel the need to google translate Swahili webpages on the pre-colonial history of Tanzania in the ordinary course of things.

On which I rest my case for the above statement.

The other 95 percent is that I just love history, ofc ;)
Alister

Post by Alister »

So I was looking under some rocks in the course of recording the next section;
1901 US Military Report wrote:A careful study of the war in South Africa by European powers, showing, as it does, the great possibilities of the defensive with smokeless powder, magazines, rifles, and increased artillery range, will do more to preserve the peace of Europe than a hundred Hague conventions.
Some comments, with the benefit of hindsight, are so transcendently brainless that the mind boggles. There is a level of dissonance that anyone can be that far off the mark, that supremely deluded.

Then you recall that, yes, this individual was the same species as you and that humans haven't really become inherently smarter since then. That ought to give anyone a cold chill.
Alister

Post by Alister »