[COMPLETE]Poems Concerning the Slave Trade by Robert Southey-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Poems Concerning the Slave Trade, by Robert Southey (1774 - 1843)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/poems-concerning-the-slave-trade-by-robert-southey/

Robert Southey, a future Poet Laureate, was born in Bristol, one of the principal ports in England for the slave trade. He wrote these poems to try to raise awareness of the brutal reality of the trade in a generally apathetic populace.

Lord Grenville, who is addressed in the final poem, was British Prime Minister in 1807 when the slave trade was abolished throughout the Britsh Empire.

(Summary by Alan Mapstone)
Source text (please read only from this text!):
https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.528684/page/n75/mode/1up?view=theater
(Pages 55-70)

Target completion date: 2024-08-01

Prooflistening level: Special
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: 6Ci7ncIq
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Southey (Robert Southey)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 4
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1848
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: Poetry/Lyric

Keywords that describe the book: Poetry, English, Slave Trade

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Poems Concerning the Slave Trade. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Poems Concerning the Slave Trade, by Robert Southey. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section Title" by Robert Southey. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."]
At end of recording say:
"End of Poem." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Poems Concerning the Slave Trade, by Robert Southey."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: poemsslavetrade_#_southey_128kb.mp3 where # is the section number. (e.g. poemsslavetrade_1_southey_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: xxxx

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by alanmapstone on May 31st, 2024, 1:02 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

A short collection of poems by the former Poet Laureate Robert Southey describing the horrors of the slave trade.

I will need the good offices of an MC and a DPL :help:
Alan
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll set it up - back soon.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

annise wrote: May 18th, 2024, 10:43 pm I'll set it up - back soon.
Hi Annise
Is there a problem? Still no MW :?
Alan
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Oh, my! Powerful words. The Sailor in particular. I might read that for a monthly poetry collection... Anyway, you can count on me for DPL, although I'm a bit behind at the moment. Just about got my studio set up.

~ Larry
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

silverquill wrote: May 19th, 2024, 10:27 pm Oh, my! Powerful words. The Sailor in particular. I might read that for a monthly poetry collection... Anyway, you can count on me for DPL, although I'm a bit behind at the moment. Just about got my studio set up.
Thanks Larry, that would be great :thumbs:

Southey was born in Bristol (as I was) which was one of the principal ports in England for the slave trade. So he would have encountered people with knowledge of the realities of it. These are powerful poems. He was hoping to raise awareness of the brutality of the trade among a generally rather apathetic populace.

Now all I need is Magic Window :?
Alan
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

oops - it was made but not displayed - I was wondering how you were going to handle the text links but I can wait until I see how you handle the sections.
One of my great grandfathers was stated by his son to have come from Bristol but there is no father on his christening record so I suppose I will never know :D Unless I become famous and find I share DNA with someone famous :D (or a slave trader :( )

Anne
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Thanks Annise
I have specified 2 text links, 1 to the Title Page of the book and 1 to the actual page where the first section starts. As Larry seems to have read the poems I assume he has found his way around the source text. I have added the page number for each poem in MW. Hopefully that will be enough.
Magic Window is filled and I should have the first section uploaded later today.
There are 6 sonnets which I have decided to combine in 1 section.
Alan
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I was actually talking about the final product . The page numbers will not show on the catalogue page as they are so that listeners who are interested may have trouble finding the text. but they could search through the rather large text.
So as it is at the moment the text link would take you to the whole volume . If you wish them to find the individual poems there are ways , but I need to know in advance - it is your decision though :D and as is is the easiest for us both.

Anne
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

As I explained above the 2nd text link I have specified should take people to the page containing the first poem. That is why I have put 2 text links, probably the 2nd one would better for the catalogue to help listeners find the correct page more quickly.
Alan
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

If you like I will delete the text link to the Title Page and just leave the more direct one.
Alan
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Section 2 - To the Genius of Africa

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/poemsslavetrade_2_southey_128kb.mp3

This will be the shortest section I think
Alan
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Sections 1 and 2 are both PL OK!

~ Larry
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

silverquill wrote: May 24th, 2024, 11:28 pm Sections 1 and 2 are both PL OK!
:thumbs:
Alan