[HUMOROUS ESSAYS] The Powder of Sympathy, by Christopher Morley - icequeen

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

BetsyWalker wrote: May 16th, 2024, 2:25 pm
Winnifred wrote: May 15th, 2024, 8:30 pm
TanishaSharma wrote: May 15th, 2024, 1:12 pm Hey,
Here is my edited version of the recording. I have tweaked the file to the best of my abilities!
Extremely apologetic for the delay, thank you so much for bearing with me!
Tanisha Sharma
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy01morley128kb.mp3
Thanks, Tanisha. Please remember to provide the length of your recording next time. Your file name is incorrect (should be powderofsympathy_01_morley_128kb). You’ve left out the underscores. It is important to name your files according to the instructions in the first post. (The system causes issues for the MC when they go to publish the book if the file names are wrong.)
If there are further changes needed, you can correct the name before you upload it, but if no further changes are required, we can ask the MC to correct it.
Betsy, can you please run Tanisha’s file through Checker? I’m away from home and don’t have access.
Thanks,
Hi folks - Well, I have a lot to say. I'm going to include my original notes and then comments on each fix are bolded.

Winnifred - the Checker only points out the filename issue. The other aspects are fine.

Tanisha - here is my feedback. I think that you must be new to editing audio files. Your inserts are very abrupt and loud. They don't "flow" really at all. Here are my comments:

5:48
Mispronounced “Eton” as if it were spelled “Etton”. Think “eaten”. Inserted correction very abrupt and cut out the following words “and Oxford;”
5:53
Mispronounced “obsolete” as if were spelled “obsolute”. Inserted correction again abrupt and cuts out the words “from an”.
7:05-7:28
Mispronounced “pint” as if were “hint”. Correction cuts into the word “entranced”;
Lager mispronounced as if it were “larger”.

8:43
Background noise – traffic? Still there.
9:28
Pronounced the “t” in “Clarets”
Pronunciation of “clarets” is okay now but the insert is very loud and noisy.
9:29
Pronounced Bordeaux” as if it were “Bordocks”
Bordeaux is correctly pronounced now but is very loud and jarring.
9:47
Said “Scottish” whiskey instead of “Scotch” whiskey
Correction is good but very loud and jarring

Winnifred - when you get a chance please review my feedback for Tanisha. She's made most of my original corrections, but now has some new mistakes. And definitely needs advice about inserting edits without jarring the existing work.

Betsy
Thanks, Betsy.

Hi Tanisha,

The first key to seamless corrections is to re-record the entire phrase or sentence in which the error occurred, so that your edit will be less noticeable. If there’s a bit of silence before and after an inserted edit, that insert becomes less noticeable than if you try to insert a single word or a couple of words into the middle of a sentence. I almost never re-record just one or two words, because that rarely sounds right.

Also, it’s important to try and match the volume of your original by listening to the error before you re-record, and trying to match your original tone of voice and volume, or, if the edit is still noticeably louder but otherwise ok, select the new bit and use “Effect > Amplify” and insert a negative number (-5, for example) into the dialogue box to bring the volume down to match what surrounds it. You might have to play around a bit to get exactly the right volume.

Editing also requires listening to your edits to make sure they sound ok and that you haven’t introduced new errors. If there is a new error, just reverse the change (Ctr-Z or Command-Z) and redo it. (Or adjust the volume of the new bit, if that’s all that’s needed.)

I always review my edits and tweak or redo them until I’ve managed to make them sound as seamless as possible. It may seem difficult at first, but it does get easier with practice.

Please revisit your changes, adjust the volume on the ones that are too loud, and re-do the ones where you’ve cut words or parts of words out, making sure to re-record the entire sentence rather than just a word or two. Don’t forget to correct the file name before you re-upload. Let us know if you have questions about any of this. We’re here to help.

Thanks,
Winnifred
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Hi Winnifred,

Here is section 12 - 5:54

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_12_morley_128kb.mp3

Thanks,
Stacey
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

StaceyM2022 wrote: May 17th, 2024, 8:23 pm Hi Winnifred,

Thanks,
Stacey
Thanks, Stacey. Ready for PL. Betsy, can you please also run this one through Checker? Thanks.

Cheers,
Winnifred
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Winnifred wrote: May 17th, 2024, 8:42 pm
StaceyM2022 wrote: May 17th, 2024, 8:23 pm Hi Winnifred,
Thanks,
Stacey
Thanks, Stacey. Ready for PL. Betsy, can you please also run this one through Checker? Thanks.
Cheers,
Good read - PL Okay - and Checker check is find. - Betsy :thumbs:
Betsy in Santa Fe
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Great,

Thanks!
Stacey
ccam

Post by ccam »

Hi Betsy,

Thank you for your feedback. Here is the file with the re-recorded intro: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_15_morley_128kb.mp3
Duration: 05:36
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ccam wrote: May 19th, 2024, 3:27 pm Hi Betsy,

Thank you for your feedback. Here is the file with the re-recorded intro: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_15_morley_128kb.mp3
Thanks! Ready for spot PL. Betsy, another one for the Checker, please.

Thanks,
Winnifred
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Winnifred wrote: May 19th, 2024, 3:38 pm
ccam wrote: May 19th, 2024, 3:27 pm Hi Betsy,
Thanks! Ready for spot PL. Betsy, another one for the Checker, please.
Thanks,
Much better - thanks for the resubmit. PL Okay. :thumbs:
Winnifred, running files through the Checker is always the first thing I do for PLing or Spot PLing. All good -
Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

BetsyWalker wrote: May 19th, 2024, 5:32 pm
Winnifred, running files through the Checker is always the first thing I do for PLing or Spot PLing. All good -
Betsy
Good to know, and sorry if I've been a pest. I'm never quite sure, and I've been told that sometimes it's the BC and sometimes the DPL who does it, so I worry about the ones that might fall in the cracks between us. :lol:

Cheers,
Winnifred
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Section 42 has been reopened for claims.

Cheers,
Winnifred
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Winnifred wrote: May 24th, 2024, 9:03 pm Section 42 has been reopened for claims.

Cheers,
I'll take it!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

icequeen wrote: May 24th, 2024, 9:11 pm
Winnifred wrote: May 24th, 2024, 9:03 pm Section 42 has been reopened for claims.

Cheers,
I'll take it!
You've got it! That'll save you having to move this back to Readers Wanted. :lol:

Thanks,
Winnifred
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Exactly! :lol:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Winnifred wrote: May 24th, 2024, 9:00 pm
BetsyWalker wrote: May 19th, 2024, 5:32 pm Winnifred, running files through the Checker is always the first thing I do for PLing or Spot PLing. All good -
Betsy
Good to know, and sorry if I've been a pest. I'm never quite sure, and I've been told that sometimes it's the BC and sometimes the DPL who does it, so I worry about the ones that might fall in the cracks between us. :lol:
Cheers,
Not a problem, and if you might ask me again, still no problem! :wink: :wink: Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
amosbuchanan

Post by amosbuchanan »

Sorry it took so long to finish --- I was having equipment issues.

Section 21:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_21_morley_128kb.mp3 [9:51]

Section 30:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_30_morley_128kb.mp3 [10:45]

-Amos