SOLO The Delinquent, Vol. IV, Nos. 1-7 by National Prisoners' Aid Asoc. - rr

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Oh my gosh, I wanted to listen to this project because I know I would learn about actual things, fact not fiction, that I had never heard of before. I was dimly aware of Australian colonization somehow being connected with convicts, but I had never thought about the details before... and gruesome details they are.
The other bureaucratic parts made me wonder how many of the exact same dilemmas are going on today...
Anyway, the reading was GREAT. All PL OK! Thank you for making my job so easy. :-)
dontburnthewitch

Post by dontburnthewitch »

section #3 of issue #1 posted. with thanks!
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

dontburnthewitch wrote: May 27th, 2024, 11:56 pm section #3 of issue #1 posted. with thanks!
Wow, that section was fascinating! I liked how it had a lot of short pieces, with these glimpses into another world, but with so many of the same issues still being debated today. The one that really got to me, though, was about the sterilization. A friend of mine from the university where I used to teach has epilepsy, and she studies the history of epilepsy and eugenics, so from her work I knew about this in the abstract... but to see it right there, just one piece among others in a periodical from back in the day: that was intense, wow.

The reading was great, all PL OK. This last section has made me even more curious about what kinds of pieces will be in the next issue!
dontburnthewitch

Thanks so much, Laura!
Yes -- I agree about the intensity of the sterilization portion. Something about the wordiness of the jargon, sentence length, and content there took me so many reads through to finally get down. Whew. We humans certainly are strange folk.
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Your hard work is paying off: your reading is so clear and confident and easy to follow... a text like this, which was not written for oral delivery, is a challenge to read, and you are making it work great!

I'll be out of town for the next week or so, back home on June 12 -- so if you record new material, I probably won't get to it until I come back, but I will try to be prompt when I do return home. :D
dontburnthewitch

Thanks so much, Laura! Hope your time away is wonderful.
I posted a section today, but am not in any rush . . .
It's a slow burn!
But I'm enjoying myself, and continuingly grateful for your positivity.
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Thank you for your patience while I was away traveling! I'm back! And WOW, this was a completely fascinating section to get started up again. Both parts were so good, and now I am going to look and see what more I can learn about Davis and about Barrows!

I found just one little sneaky thing to fix here in Section 4:

32:18 routed the celebrants
this is routed-rhymes-with-shouted, not routed-rhymes-with-tooted,
because the verb is rout, not route:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rout