[GROUP] The Footpath Way: An Anthology for Walkers - lt

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
vviera

Post by vviera »

ContinentalDrifter wrote: May 17th, 2024, 3:27 am I've uploaded a new test. I also ordered a minimalist microphone isolation gadget for the next one.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_3_-_PATRICK_REGAN_-_17May2024.mp3

Patrick
Oh, good! Crossing fingers :D
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
AgnesRobert

Post by AgnesRobert »

hello, may I please read

9 The Snowdon Ranger

and

12 Minchmoor
vviera

Post by vviera »

AgnesRobert wrote: May 17th, 2024, 11:28 am hello, may I please read

9 The Snowdon Ranger

and

12 Minchmoor
Assigned, thank you.

Cheers, VERLA
tshoes76

Post by tshoes76 »

Winnifred wrote: May 10th, 2024, 3:05 pm
tshoes76 wrote: May 8th, 2024, 4:14 pm Here is Section 3 “Walking, and the Wild,” Part 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/footpathway_3_belloc_128kb.mp3

Duration: 25:05
Hi Tom,

Very nicely read indeed! You have a lovely soothing voice. Just a couple of corrections to request (and one suggestion to offer).
  • At 18:26, there’s a rather long pause (about 3 seconds), after the word “parabola” (almost as if you paused to consider whether you’d pronounced that word right before you proceeded :D ). You might want to reduce that silence down to a second or so.
  • Your closing silence is a bit too short, at 4 seconds. Can you please add one more second?
  • A suggestion: I notice some brushing sounds and faint plosives (pops) on your P sounds. You could eliminate those by speaking a bit farther away from your mic, to one side rather than straight into it, at a distance of about 6 inches. You might have to increase the gain a bit to compensate if it reduces your volume too much.
Thanks,
Thanks, Winnifred — I have corrected the recording:

Duration: 25:06.

I am still attempting to get the hang of all this, so I hope this is OK!
vviera

Post by vviera »

tshoes76 wrote: May 18th, 2024, 7:21 pm
Winnifred wrote: May 10th, 2024, 3:05 pm
tshoes76 wrote: May 8th, 2024, 4:14 pm Here is Section 3 “Walking, and the Wild,” Part 1

Duration: 25:05
Hi Tom,

Very nicely read indeed! You have a lovely soothing voice. Just a couple of corrections to request (and one suggestion to offer).
  • At 18:26, there’s a rather long pause (about 3 seconds), after the word “parabola” (almost as if you paused to consider whether you’d pronounced that word right before you proceeded :D ). You might want to reduce that silence down to a second or so.
  • Your closing silence is a bit too short, at 4 seconds. Can you please add one more second?
  • A suggestion: I notice some brushing sounds and faint plosives (pops) on your P sounds. You could eliminate those by speaking a bit farther away from your mic, to one side rather than straight into it, at a distance of about 6 inches. You might have to increase the gain a bit to compensate if it reduces your volume too much.
Thanks,
Thanks, Winnifred — I have corrected the recording:

Duration: 25:06.

I am still attempting to get the hang of all this, so I hope this is OK!
Hi T – Winnifred is away for a few days, so I checked this. It is now PL OK!

You forgot to change your file name to 03. No need to change this one now, unless further corrections are needed. The metacoordinator (MC) will change it upon cataloging. You still have edits to do on Sections 4 & 5, so please change those.
I also looked at your other projects, and you are progressing nicely! You are going to be (already are, actually) a great contributor to LV. :D It was a lot – be sure not to burn yourself out!

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Winnifred - I'll do the PL for you...except for my own :lol:

Section 0
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/footpathway_00_belloc_128kb.mp3
21:27

Cheers, VERLA
ContinentalDrifter

Post by ContinentalDrifter »

I just checked the 1-minute-test board, and I don't see my latest test. Maybe I did something (else) wrong. But you can see it, right?
vviera

Post by vviera »

ContinentalDrifter wrote: May 19th, 2024, 2:16 pm I just checked the 1-minute-test board, and I don't see my latest test. Maybe I did something (else) wrong. But you can see it, right?
Each time you've posted a new test, you've posted it as a separate message. What you need to do, is "post reply" (click that button) in your original message thread. That way, the whole conversation about what has been going on as you adjust things is in one place.

All three tests and the conversation around them have been combined into one thread, here. Go there and see Mark's (sjmarky) latest reply to you. Whenever you respond, or post a new test, put it in the same thread, not a new one.

I also sent you a private message with more information.

Cheers, VERLA
tshoes76

Post by tshoes76 »

Winnifred wrote: May 10th, 2024, 3:39 pm
vviera wrote: May 9th, 2024, 4:27 pm
tshoes76 wrote: May 9th, 2024, 4:17 pm Here is Section 4, “Walking, and the Wild,” Part 2.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/footpathway_4_belloc_128kb.mp3

Duration: 23:33
I just noticed you gave your file names single digit section numbers (3 and 4). We need those with a leading zero, as 03,04,05 (so they sequence themselves correctly with 10 and above).

Please save 05 with that, but we won't ask you to rename and reupload 03 and 04 unless there are additional PL notes.
Section 4 is nicely read as well. A couple of changes needed:
  • At 11:03, I hear “I derive more of my substance from the swamps which surround my native town,..” But the text reads: “I derive more of my subsistence from the swamps which surround my native town,..” As that changes the meaning, I think it needs to be corrected.
  • Your closing silence is only about 3 1/2 seconds. Please bump that up to 5 seconds.
Thanks,

I have fixed “subsistence” and lengthened the silence at the end - thanks, as always!

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/footpathway_4_belloc_128kb.mp3

Duration: 23:42
tshoes76

Post by tshoes76 »

Winnifred wrote: May 11th, 2024, 1:34 pm
tshoes76 wrote: May 10th, 2024, 11:06 am Here is Section 5, Walking, and the Wild, Part 3

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/footpathway_05_belloc_128kb.mp3

Duration: 23:52

(I uploaded this first with a single-digit section number, then re-uploaded it with a corrected filename. Other than that the uploads are identical)
Nice reading. Just a few small corrections needed:
  • At 6:07, there’s a stumble that you’ve forgotten to edit out (complete with your sound of exasperation :lol: ), before “Here is this vast, savage, howling mother of ours…”
  • At 7:31, you say “quote” before beginning to read a quote, but at the end of it, you don’t say “end quote.” Nor do you say “quote” or “end quote” around the quotations that immediately follow. I think you either need to leave out that one “quote” or consistently use it, and “end quote,” before and after all the quotes. I’d be inclined to just leave it out, as saying this multiple times would slow down the reading, and I think it’s clear enough from the context that these are quotes and by whom.
  • At 22:59, I hear “We walked in so pure and bright a light, gilding the withered grass and leaves, so softly and serenely bright, I thought it had never bathed in such a golden flood,…” But the text reads “We walked in so pure and bright a light, gilding the withered grass and leaves, so softly and serenely bright, I thought I had never bathed in such a golden flood,…” I think the change in meaning is significant enough to warrant correcting this.
I suggest making your changes starting from the last one and going backwards so the timestamps remain correct.

I have to say I really enjoyed this comment - because it was a little embarrassing to have left my exasperation in the recording! It’s a good thing I didn’t give greater vent to my feelings … anyway, here is the corrected reading, which I corrected starting with the last change, to preserve as much as possible the timestamps.

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/footpathway_05_belloc_128kb.mp3

Duration: 23:45

Cheers,
vviera

Post by vviera »

tshoes76 wrote: May 20th, 2024, 11:12 am
Winnifred wrote: May 11th, 2024, 1:34 pm
tshoes76 wrote: May 10th, 2024, 11:06 am Here is Section 5, Walking, and the Wild, Part 3

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/footpathway_05_belloc_128kb.mp3

Duration: 23:52

(I uploaded this first with a single-digit section number, then re-uploaded it with a corrected filename. Other than that the uploads are identical)
Nice reading. Just a few small corrections needed:
  • At 6:07, there’s a stumble that you’ve forgotten to edit out (complete with your sound of exasperation :lol: ), before “Here is this vast, savage, howling mother of ours…”
  • At 7:31, you say “quote” before beginning to read a quote, but at the end of it, you don’t say “end quote.” Nor do you say “quote” or “end quote” around the quotations that immediately follow. I think you either need to leave out that one “quote” or consistently use it, and “end quote,” before and after all the quotes. I’d be inclined to just leave it out, as saying this multiple times would slow down the reading, and I think it’s clear enough from the context that these are quotes and by whom.
  • At 22:59, I hear “We walked in so pure and bright a light, gilding the withered grass and leaves, so softly and serenely bright, I thought it had never bathed in such a golden flood,…” But the text reads “We walked in so pure and bright a light, gilding the withered grass and leaves, so softly and serenely bright, I thought I had never bathed in such a golden flood,…” I think the change in meaning is significant enough to warrant correcting this.
I suggest making your changes starting from the last one and going backwards so the timestamps remain correct.

I have to say I really enjoyed this comment - because it was a little embarrassing to have left my exasperation in the recording! It’s a good thing I didn’t give greater vent to my feelings … anyway, here is the corrected reading, which I corrected starting with the last change, to preserve as much as possible the timestamps.

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/footpathway_05_belloc_128kb.mp3

Duration: 23:45

Cheers,
Sections 4 and 5 are now both PL OK! :clap:

I noticed you still didn't change the "4" file name to "04." That will now be corrected in cataloging, but keep that in mind for any single-digit sections you volunteer for in other projects.

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Section 10 of this one is now open.

Cheers, VERLA
marisad6

Post by marisad6 »

vviera wrote: April 17th, 2024, 7:52 am
marisad6 wrote: April 17th, 2024, 6:50 am Hi, may I claim 13 & 14, please?
Assigned, thank you! It will be lovely to have these both read by the same person.
Thank you. I am hoping to record both sections this weekend. I apologize if this has already been addressed, but it looks like this essay was written by Leslie Stephen, whose name I see at the end of the essay. Should I include the name at the end of the essay in section 14 (as the name appears in the text), or also include it in the intro to each section (with the section title)?
vviera

Post by vviera »

marisad6 wrote: May 25th, 2024, 9:34 am
vviera wrote: April 17th, 2024, 7:52 am
marisad6 wrote: April 17th, 2024, 6:50 am Hi, may I claim 13 & 14, please?
Assigned, thank you! It will be lovely to have these both read by the same person.
Thank you. I am hoping to record both sections this weekend. I apologize if this has already been addressed, but it looks like this essay was written by Leslie Stephen, whose name I see at the end of the essay. Should I include the name at the end of the essay in section 14 (as the name appears in the text), or also include it in the intro to each section (with the section title)?
Just at the end of 14. Thanks for checking.

Cheers, VERLA
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

vviera wrote: May 19th, 2024, 12:42 pm Winnifred - I'll do the PL for you...except for my own :lol:

Section 0
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/footpathway_00_belloc_128kb.mp3
21:27
Nicely done. This one's PL OK.

Cheers,
Winnifred