Essays/Books on abortion/family-planning?

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

... and so much space in the short non-fiction collection....

:mrgreen:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
J_N

Post by J_N »

great minds... :P

I still have a few things on my plate (one of which for JHN ;)) but I definitely plan on reading something for the collection :thumbs:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
msfry

Post by msfry »

I am currently recording The Mother by Pearl S. Buck. It has a self-inflicted "back-alley" abortion scene in it, and the book describes all the baggage of an unwanted pregnancy sired by other than the husband, the desperation caused by fear of discovery, the wreckage her body suffers from taking the abortive chemicals procured from an unnamed source, and the aftermath. I became curious if LV had other material recorded on the topic. This book does not actually describe what happened to rural women in China back then who had out of wedlock children, nor does it dwell on the morality of abortion, but it insinuates quite graphically the subservience of women to men in that culture.

I found the Wikipedia page on History of Abortion (which is quite interesting), and one LV article in Short Non-Fiction using keyword "abortion". This thread from 2015 gives me more to look up a time permits. Thanks for the information. There must be other PD novels on the topic.