COMPLETE: Chalk Face by Waldo Frank -jo

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Winnifred wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 9:18 pm I hope to get started on these tomorrow. Might take me a couple of days to get all caught up, though.

Cheers,
No problem! No rush! I appreciate your willingness to proof and I know you've got a lot else going on. Cheers.
If I were you I'd claim a Gold-Killer role. Just sayin'
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Section 13 is PL OK.

Cheers,
Winnifred
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Sections 14, 15, and 16 are PL OK.

I still think he committed the murders, and just blocked them from his memory.

Cheers,
Winnifred
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Winnifred wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 1:38 pm Sections 14, 15, and 16 are PL OK.

I still think he committed the murders, and just blocked them from his memory.

Cheers,
Yeah, okay. Works for me. Would you convict him or give him a not guilty by reason of insanity pass?

Thanks for the PL! :)

Is there anything I can do for you? Do you need a PL on any of your projects?
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

I'm thinking of starting a go-fund-her to buy Mildred another outfit. I mean, so far as I can tell, she only has that emerald green gown in which she does look like an absolute goddess, at least to John's eye. I suppose she could use a 'little black dress' or something to wear when the green gown is at the cleaner's.

Fact is I know precious little about attire. I used to buy whatever looked good on the mannequin. It almost never worked well. So, then, my wife took over as is her wont. The thing is that I started getting complimented on what I was wearing. I don't buy my clothes anymore. I'm not saying that she dresses me everyday. That'd be weird! Wouldn't it? But as I only have clothes now that she has picked out I guess it amounts to the same thing. Funny thing is that she seems to enjoy buying me clothes but not herself. Women! Go figure!

Because I'm not fashion minded I did a search on what would look best on Mildred's pale skin. I didn't want to go nuts on the research so I just picked a site and ran with it. Not exhaustive research, but I don't suppose that really matters to you. You can overrule me if you want to, Winnifred.

So, here we go, top 5 colors for Mildred and, hey presto ...

1) Emerald green! - way to go, Waldo Frank, you nailed it, pal. Props to you and if they'd had reality TV in 1924 you'd probably have your own show.
2) Ruby red - are you listening there, Mildred? Throw us a change up now and then, why don't you?
3) Amethyst - I'm a fan! Is that a February birthstone?
4) Navy and royal blue - seems like two colors to me! Isn't that cheating by whoever made the top 5 list?
5) Neutral (picture shows white) - I don't think she should do white, not that she'd clash with the 'Man with the White Head' but she'd just look like an extension of him, I suppose ...

So, if someone tells me how to start go-fund-me's for fictional characters of one hundred year old books, I'll chip in a buck or two :lol:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

BrianFullen wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 2:03 pm I still think he committed the murders, and just blocked them from his memory.

Cheers,
Yeah, okay. Works for me. Would you convict him or give him a not guilty by reason of insanity pass?

Thanks for the PL! :)

Is there anything I can do for you? Do you need a PL on any of your projects?
[/quote]

Probably insanity pass. He's certainly not rational.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm good right now. I'll keep it in mind when I start my next solo.

Cheers,
Winnifred
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

BrianFullen wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 2:37 pm I'm thinking of starting a go-fund-her to buy Mildred another outfit. I mean, so far as I can tell, she only has that emerald green gown in which she does look like an absolute goddess, at least to John's eye. I suppose she could use a 'little black dress' or something to wear when the green gown is at the cleaner's.

Fact is I know precious little about attire. I used to buy whatever looked good on the mannequin. It almost never worked well. So, then, my wife took over as is her wont. The thing is that I started getting complimented on what I was wearing. I don't buy my clothes anymore. I'm not saying that she dresses me everyday. That'd be weird! Wouldn't it? But as I only have clothes now that she has picked out I guess it amounts to the same thing. Funny thing is that she seems to enjoy buying me clothes but not herself. Women! Go figure!

Because I'm not fashion minded I did a search on what would look best on Mildred's pale skin. I didn't want to go nuts on the research so I just picked a site and ran with it. Not exhaustive research, but I don't suppose that really matters to you. You can overrule me if you want to, Winnifred.

So, here we go, top 5 colors for Mildred and, hey presto ...

1) Emerald green! - way to go, Waldo Frank, you nailed it, pal. Props to you and if they'd had reality TV in 1924 you'd probably have your own show.
2) Ruby red - are you listening there, Mildred? Throw us a change up now and then, why don't you?
3) Amethyst - I'm a fan! Is that a February birthstone?
4) Navy and royal blue - seems like two colors to me! Isn't that cheating by whoever made the top 5 list?
5) Neutral (picture shows white) - I don't think she should do white, not that she'd clash with the 'Man with the White Head' but she'd just look like an extension of him, I suppose ...

So, if someone tells me how to start go-fund-me's for fictional characters of one hundred year old books, I'll chip in a buck or two :lol:
I'm with your wife on the "not crazy about clothes shopping" front, but I don't pick my husband's clothes either. He's got very particular taste, and his acceptable colours are very limited. After 34 years of marriage, I still haven't completely wrapped my head around what he'd like in clothes. Also I'm a bit clueless when it comes to picking or matching colours. I like purple myself, but I have no idea whether it would suit Mildred.

I have my doubts about how much your go-fund-me might yield....

Cheers,
Winnifred
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Winnifred wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 3:47 pm

I'm with your wife on the "not crazy about clothes shopping" frontt

Cheers,
Fess up! How many Canuck jerseys (sweaters or wathcamallums) do you own? You can get those online and if you wear 'em daily who needs to go clothes shopping? I just looked up a site that had the team's uniform / performance history. What were they thinking in the 80's? I kind of like the original 1974-75 uni's. Looks to me like they wised up around 2012 and went back to what looked good in the 70's. Which ones are your faves? 8-)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

BrianFullen wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 4:02 pm
Winnifred wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 3:47 pm

I'm with your wife on the "not crazy about clothes shopping" frontt

Cheers,
Fess up! How many Canuck jerseys (sweaters or wathcamallums) do you own? You can get those online and if you wear 'em daily who needs to go clothes shopping? I just looked up a site that had the team's uniform / performance history. What were they thinking in the 80's? I kind of like the original 1974-75 uni's. Looks to me like they wised up around 2012 and went back to what looked good in the 70's. Which ones are your faves? 8-)
You do realize you're opening a fresh wound here, right? They only just got knocked out in game 7 of the second round a few short days ago. Although there's still a Canadian team in the running, it's all the way over in Edmonton. And they were the ones to knock the Canucks out, so I haven't forgiven them yet.

No, I don't own any Canucks jerseys. My son won one back in 2011 as a door prize at a 48-hour hackathon, came home and told us he won a sports jersey of some kind, then went to bed. When he woke up, we jumped him for more details. He said, "Oh, I think it's a Canucks jersey, and it's signed. Does that make a difference?"

We were incredulous, and even more so when we discovered it was an Alex Burrows jersey (he was one of the big stars that year). Unfortunately, it was too large for any of us, so we ended up selling it to a co-worker of my husband's and my son, a cash-strapped student at the time, appreciated the $300 it netted. As you might be able to tell, we were fans, but our son was not (still isn't).

My favourite is the black, red, and gold 50th anniversary jersey from the 90s that they wear for special games now. Jerseys would be a bit too warm for everyday wear in our summers, though.
Winnifred
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Winnifred wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 4:59 pm
You do realize you're opening a fresh wound here, right?

My favourite is the black, red, and gold 50th anniversary jersey from the 90s that they wear for special games now. Jerseys would be a bit too warm for everyday wear in our summers, though.
No, I did not realize that. Last I looked they were still in. Sorry about that. Better luck next year. I'm a Pens fan. I checked out when they didn't make the post-season. I did like that black, red and gold jersey - the site I looked at didn't explain its significance (or I was too lazy to dig deeper) and I wondered about it. Excellent! I learned something new. Thanks.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

BrianFullen wrote: May 17th, 2024, 11:27 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chalkface_17_frank_128kb.mp3, r/t = 30:28, is ready for PL. Thanks.
I like your tune; nicely done and sounding suitably like a Renaissance piece.

One correction needed: starting at 12:01, there’s a repeat: I hear “‘From the deep.’ ‘From the deep … From the deep below the mountain.’” But the text reads just “‘From the deep.’ ‘From the deep below the mountain.’”

Cheers,
Winnifred
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Winnifred wrote: May 24th, 2024, 5:02 pm
BrianFullen wrote: May 17th, 2024, 11:27 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chalkface_17_frank_128kb.mp3, r/t = 30:28, is ready for PL. Thanks.

One correction needed: starting at 12:01, there’s a repeat: I hear “‘From the deep.’ ‘From the deep … From the deep below the mountain.’” But the text reads just “‘From the deep.’ ‘From the deep below the mountain.’”

Cheers,
Thanks! Can I start calling myself a Renaissance Man? Hah, I can't even walk and chew gum or at least not at the same time.

Revised and uploaded
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chalkface_17_frank_128kb.mp3
is now a little less deep and a little less long at 30:26.59, down from 30:27.84.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

BrianFullen wrote: May 24th, 2024, 7:46 pm
Winnifred wrote: May 24th, 2024, 5:02 pm

Cheers,
Thanks! Can I start calling myself a Renaissance Man? Hah, I can't even walk and chew gum or at least not at the same time.

Revised and uploaded
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chalkface_17_frank_128kb.mp3
is now a little less deep and a little less long at 30:26.59, down from 30:27.84.
And is now spot PL OK.

Cheers,
Winnifred
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

And 18, 19, and 20 are all PL OK. Moving closer to a confession (possibly realization?), I think.

I'll probably tackle the last two sections tomorrow.

Cheers,
Winnifred
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Winnifred wrote: May 24th, 2024, 8:50 pm
And 18, 19, and 20 are all PL OK. Moving closer to a confession (possibly realization?), I think.

I'll probably tackle the last two sections tomorrow.

Cheers,
Hey, thank you so much, Winnifred. Have a good night. :)