Hello from Finland.

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Sera4evr

Post by Sera4evr »

Hi, Thank you for accepting me into the forum.

I heard about LV from a member in my Mensa book-club and thought this is a really nice idea and interesting project. I love books, reading and listening to them, and have a love for old folklore and adore public domains like project Gutenberg, and would love to be part of preserving something like it into history (maybe as reader or listener or whatever). As young I had an aunt who was blind, who listened daily to the local newspaper, and much audio books, recorded by volunteers. After her passing 10 years ago, I looked into volunteering to read, in her memory, but all volunteer-reading locally was overcrowded.

I say Hello from Finland but my mother-tongue is Swedish, specifically the version of Swedish that is spoken in Finland, that is the native language of the Moomin. My Finnish is fluent, so I can fully contribute in it also. I have lived and worked in England for a time as younger, and use the language daily, so consider myself fluent, but naturally may have a European sounding accent. I may upload a 1-minute test later in due course.

I have studied languages besides these but my pronunciation is abhorrent so shall absolutely spare your ears (German, French, Spanish, Italian, Norwegian, Japanese, Chinese...)

I look forward to finding out more and hope to be of some service to the project in due course.
vviera

Post by vviera »

Sera4evr wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 11:41 am Hi, Thank you for accepting me into the forum.

I heard about LV from a member in my Mensa book-club and thought this is a really nice idea and interesting project. I love books, reading and listening to them, and have a love for old folklore and adore public domains like project Gutenberg, and would love to be part of preserving something like it into history (maybe as reader or listener or whatever). As young I had an aunt who was blind, who listened daily to the local newspaper, and much audio books, recorded by volunteers. After her passing 10 years ago, I looked into volunteering to read, in her memory, but all volunteer-reading locally was overcrowded.

I say Hello from Finland but my mother-tongue is Swedish, specifically the version of Swedish that is spoken in Finland, that is the native language of the Moomin. My Finnish is fluent, so I can fully contribute in it also. I have lived and worked in England for a time as younger, and use the language daily, so consider myself fluent, but naturally may have a European sounding accent. I may upload a 1-minute test later in due course.

I have studied languages besides these but my pronunciation is abhorrent so shall absolutely spare your ears (German, French, Spanish, Italian, Norwegian, Japanese, Chinese...)

I look forward to finding out more and hope to be of some service to the project in due course.
Welcome, Sera4evr!

I don’t remember ever seeing anyone from Finland on LV, though not everyone says where they are from. But it’s great to have more representation from Northern Europe! This is a truly international community, and all accents are welcome!

I haven’t been active in a long time, but I joined Mensa years ago for the activities in my area. As time went by, I was involved in so many things that Mensa was one of the things that went by the wayside. But one of the things I love about LV is that it challenges my brain! Working in different languages, in many different topics, with authors from different parts of the world, makes it really fun for me. I also read books that I never would otherwise.

There aren’t currently any projects running in Finnish or Swedish, but all projects in languages other than English can be found here.

If you haven’t yet seen it, take a look at the Newbie Guide to Recording. It will orient you to the whole process.

Then, to get started, as you know, you do your 1-Minute Test. It's not an audition - just a chance to make sure that all the technical settings you're using when recording match Librivox requirements.

After you're OK'd on that, browse the forums for a project you'd like to participate in. Most people start with a chapter in a book or some other short work. Post a claim for a section in the corresponding thread when you see something you'd like to record.

Any time you have a question, post in one of the forums, and someone will pop in to help you out.

Have fun!
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
Sera4evr

Post by Sera4evr »

Thank you very much! I look forward to finding out more. One thing I am thinking about.. as I am part of a very specific minority, are there ever done multiple recordings for a language for the same project, in order to preserve cultural accents and alternatives? and for projects to record in English, is it preferable to record native speakers, so better to then sign up as listener to not cause an imbalance?
vviera

Post by vviera »

Sera4evr wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 12:18 pm Thank you very much! I look forward to finding out more. One thing I am thinking about.. as I am part of a very specific minority, are there ever done multiple recordings for a language for the same project, in order to preserve cultural accents and alternatives? and for projects to record in English, is it preferable to record native speakers, so better to then sign up as listener to not cause an imbalance?
I am not sure I understand your first question, but there are two things that might be in the neighborhood of what you are asking.
One is the Multilingual Short Works Collection. In collections, each reader selects his own work that matches the theme of the collection. There is also currently running a Multilingual First Chapters Collection. You can go look at those two projects to see if they might interest you.

The other thing that might match what you are describing are the Weekly Poetry and Fortnightly Poetry projects. You can find both of those in the short works forum. In those projects, as many people as want to, in whatever accent they have, read the same poem. So check those out.

In answer to your other question, no, it's not preferable to have only native speakers reading. One of the charming things about Librivox for our listeners is to have a wide variety of vocal styles and accents. We definitely don't consider this an "imbalance"! It is part of the rich culture of Librivox. Anyone who can speak a language well enough to easily be understood can record in it. For example, I am a native English speaker, but I also record in Spanish, even though I have an accent. Feel free to record in English!

If you are interested in prooflistening (PL) though, your participation in that would also be very welcome! There is always a need for prooflisteners. Any time you are looking in the forums and you see a ~ tilde in front of the subject line, it means they are looking for a prooflistener. That may be a DPL - a dedicated prooflistener - who has volunteered to PL all sections of the project, or it may be someone who is willing to do just a few sections to help out. Check out the Guide for Proof-listeners for more information on all this.

Good questions! I'm glad you are really thinking about it :D
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Sera4evr wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 11:41 am
I say Hello from Finland but my mother-tongue is Swedish, specifically the version of Swedish that is spoken in Finland, that is the native language of the Moomin.
So, do you share a mother-tongue with the great Linus Torvalds?

Best,

Barbara
AlbaXYZ

Post by AlbaXYZ »

Sera4evr wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 12:18 pm Thank you very much! I look forward to finding out more. One thing I am thinking about.. as I am part of a very specific minority, are there ever done multiple recordings for a language for the same project, in order to preserve cultural accents and alternatives? and for projects to record in English, is it preferable to record native speakers, so better to then sign up as listener to not cause an imbalance?
Hello Sera, if you ever need anyone to PL for you in Swedish I would love to volunteer :) My spoken Swedish is (really) bad but I can definitely listen and follow along the text :clap:
---
I exclusively do proof listening.
Languages I can PL on, in order of preference: EN, FR, DAN, TL, CEB

Thanks,
Alba