[SOLO] The Birth of Yugoslavia, Volume 2 by Henry Baerlein - kaz

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
EastCentralMinnesota

Post by EastCentralMinnesota »

Section 6 is ready for PL. Duration is 58:48.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/birthyugoslavia2_06_baerlein_128kb.mp3

Section #7 is expected around May 12.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Holy cow! That priest firing at his own parishioners . . . :shock:

Section 6 is beautifully recorded. The only PL note is that it is missing its 5 seconds of silence on the end.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
EastCentralMinnesota

LCaulkins wrote: April 24th, 2024, 12:19 pm The only PL note is that it is missing its 5 seconds of silence on the end.
Section #6 is ready for PL. Duration 58:52

I have added the 5 seconds of silence at the end.
EastCentralMinnesota

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 6 is PL OK :thumbs:

and 7 is queued for later today
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 7 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
EastCentralMinnesota

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 8 is PL OK :thumbs:

wonderfully recorded, as usual
~Lynette * -
EastCentralMinnesota

Section 9 is ready for PL. Duration 50:46

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/birthyugoslavia2_09_baerlein_128kb.mp3

Thank you for your work proof-listening and giving feedback.

You may be wondering whether Chapter VI of this book will ever end as it now stands at 8:22:47 in duration, and we still have three more chapters to go. Well, I am happy to share that it looks like we'll be ending Chapter VI in Section 10. I am still recording, but it appears that it will be shorter by about half compared to the other sections so far.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Heh! It is a long chapter, but it holds much interest, so that's OK.

Hey, Section 9 is very nicely done. I have one courtesy note, which is completely up to you whether you want to make edits or leave as is, since it's outside LV requirements:

"Quay" is one of those funny words that is pronounced completely different from its appearance. It is said, "key". I caught two occurrences, just after 8:08 and 2:22. <~~ 22:20 is the real time

"Kway" is a super common mispronunciation, but anyone familiar with boating, shoreline vocab, or has been exposed otherwise to this word's correct sound will hear this in your narrative. You can balance that factor with your editing capabilities of inserting fixes without sounding incongruent with the surrounding recording to decide whether you want to fix those instances or not.

:)
Last edited by LCaulkins on May 30th, 2024, 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Lynette * -
EastCentralMinnesota

LCaulkins wrote: May 30th, 2024, 9:48 am
"Quay" is one of those funny words that is pronounced completely different from its appearance. It is said, "key". I caught two occurrences, just after 8:08 and 2:22.

"Kway" is a super common mispronunciation, but anyone familiar with boating, shoreline vocab, or has been exposed otherwise to this word's correct sound will hear this in your narrative. You can balance that factor with your editing capabilities of inserting fixes without sounding incongruent with the surrounding recording to decide whether you want to fix those instances or not.

You really ARE appreciated. Wow! I learned something today. I will very likely edit it. I should be able to get it to blend in with a little bit of effort. It is a funny thing, pronunciation. I am looking up place names and often guessing or flipping a coin between the many alternates I hear on the internet. I'm assuming my French is absolutely incomprehensible. But then I miss an English word.

Anyway, I'm expecting to have that edit and section 10 ready sometime this coming weekend. I'm still mastering the audio and giving it my final proof for Section 10, but it looks like it will be 33:43 in duration. I'll submit the edits of section 9 as well.

Chapter VII may change some as I record it, but as of right now, it looks like about 3 hours of audio, which I hope to divide into three equal sections.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

EastCentralMinnesota wrote: May 30th, 2024, 2:37 pm
LCaulkins wrote: May 30th, 2024, 9:48 am
"Quay" is one of those funny words that is pronounced completely different from its appearance. It is said, "key". I caught two occurrences, just after 8:08 and 2:22. <~~ 22:20 is the real time

You really ARE appreciated. Wow! I learned something today. I will very likely edit it. I should be able to get it to blend in with a little bit of effort. It is a funny thing, pronunciation. I am looking up place names and often guessing or flipping a coin between the many alternates I hear on the internet. I'm assuming my French is absolutely incomprehensible. But then I miss an English word.

Anyway, I'm expecting to have that edit and section 10 ready sometime this coming weekend. I'm still mastering the audio and giving it my final proof for Section 10, but it looks like it will be 33:43 in duration. I'll submit the edits of section 9 as well.

Chapter VII may change some as I record it, but as of right now, it looks like about 3 hours of audio, which I hope to divide into three equal sections.
Ack! That should be 22:20 on the second quay appearance. Sorry about that!

will watch for your files :)
~Lynette * -
EastCentralMinnesota

Section 9 is ready for PL (attempt #2)
Duration 50:46 (Unchanged from original)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/birthyugoslavia2_09_baerlein_128kb.mp3

Two corrections have been made:
  • At 08:10 - page 178: "...burly journalist was striding up and down the quay; "I protest," he exclaimed...
    At 22:22 - page 184: "...When we paid our formal visit to the Commandant at his office on the quay; he did not ask if we would care to go to one of the Italian schools..."
EastCentralMinnesota

Section 10 is ready for PL. Duration 34:01

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/birthyugoslavia2_10_baerlein_128kb.mp3

Once you approve, we will have finished Chapter VI with a total duration of 8:56:48. That should be about ½ the book.

For awareness, there is a patch at 19:21 - "In a few minutes the square was free of soldiers, and forty rifles were stacked in the town hall. Fifty soldiers on the quay; were dealt with by a butcher who started firing at them..."

- - -
It will be at least two weeks before I submit my next section. Chapter VII should run very close to three hours. I plan to record it in three sections. But I need to be cautious that I do not end up with a fourth section that lasts only a few minutes. By June 17, I will give an update, even if I have nothing ready to submit.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Sections 9 and 10 are both PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs:

You would never know the patches are there - nice editing!

And that was a long chapter - I'm sure you are happy to see it squared away. Was good listening, though.
~Lynette * -