[GROUP/Historical Fiction] The Young Colonists: a Story of the Zulu and Boer Wars, by G. A. Henty - rr

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

I have never heard this one before either so I'm excited(as well as my brothers who are dedicated Librivox G.A. Henty listeners😉)! Is there a PL for this project yet?
"Remember now your Creator in the days of your youth, before the difficult days come...Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man's all." -Ecclesiastes 12:1,13
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

gracesilvey wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 11:40 am I have never heard this one before either so I'm excited(as well as my brothers who are dedicated Librivox G.A. Henty listeners😉)! Is there a PL for this project yet?
There is! It's me. :lol:

If you're interested in PLing a few of the chapters (and if you're quick!), we can try something out. I'd have you read the Guide for Proof-listeners to see whether you think you're up for it. Then if you're available as the first couple of sections (aside from your own!) come in, then you could try your hand at it. I'd do some spot-checking, and we'd see how you like it.
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

Okay! I just wasn’t sure if there was a PL since I’d didn’t see anything about it in the chat, and I wanted to make sure before I sent in my first section😉 I might be interested in trying my hand at PLing some...I read quickly over the guide earlier and it sounds pretty simple...though, the only thing I’m kinda uncertain about is checking the audio through the checker. Is that pretty simple?
"Remember now your Creator in the days of your youth, before the difficult days come...Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man's all." -Ecclesiastes 12:1,13
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

Chapter 4

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/youngcolonists_04_henty_128kb.mp3
24:33

I wasn't sure if you would want to listen to it before the earlier chapters came in, but since I got it done I figured I would go ahead and send it in.😊
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

gracesilvey wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 1:34 pm [T]he only thing I’m kinda uncertain about is checking the audio through the checker. Is that pretty simple?
Yes, it's pretty simple. Needs less setup than Audacity. :D
You can install it from here. Then you can tell it which things to check. I have these options checked, on the 'Validation' -> 'Choose Validation Methods' page: Technical Specifications, Waveform, and Background Noise.

Now you'll never need to touch those settings again. When you download a file to PL, you drag-and-drop it onto Checker's window. Then in the bottom half, it gives you any warnings/errors in the 'Validation' tab, and all of the details in the 'Information' tab. Some of the "errors" should be "warnings" and vice versa, but they are a handy reminder to listen for certain things in Audacity. It doesn't remind you about the silences, though. :wink:

I've got chapter 4, and will probably be finished with PL sometime tomorrow.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Short, so thought I'd get the preface in. Haven't read a Henty for quite awhile...

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/youngcolonists_00_henty_128kb.mp3 2:07

~ Larry
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

silverquill wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 2:53 pm Short, so thought I'd get the preface in. Haven't read a Henty for quite awhile...

Thank you Larry! The Preface is ready for PL. Since I don't think you're the kind to mind, you'll be our first volunteer. :wink:

gracesilvey wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 1:34 pm I might be interested in trying my hand at PLing some...
Here's your first opportunity, if you like. You can right-click on the 'Listen' link for section 0 in the Magic Window to download the file (this is a better habit than downloading from the forum link, because that will sometimes change). For the intro and "end of" statements on this one, "Preface" is just fine in place of a section or chapter number or title. If you have questions, you're welcome to ask me here, or in a PM if you'd feel more comfortable that way. Don't forget to check those silences! :thumbs:
tshoes76

Post by tshoes76 »

redrun wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 8:01 am
tshoes76 wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 7:39 am
tshoes76 wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 7:10 am I would like to claim Section 11, if I may ...
I’d like to return section 8 to the “open” list. As something of a nature-lover, the text is uncomfortable for me …
Ok, I'll remove your claim for chapter 11, with the elephant hunt. If you meant a claim in a different project, just let me know!
It was the lions and the elephants that stopped me, I’m afraid. It was Section 11, which is also Chapter 11 in the printed book. Sorry about the reference to section 8 …

"Chapter Eleven.

A Troop of Lions."
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

silverquill wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 2:53 pm Short, so thought I'd get the preface in. Haven't read a Henty for quite awhile...

Great job, Larry! PL OK👍🏻 I really enjoyed your style of reading!
Thanks for being the volunteer for my first PL.😊
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

And now, I've updated the Magic Window. Glad to have a part in someone getting their start! :clap:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Alright, and here are your PL notes!
  • At about 4:11 in the recording, I hear a couple of re-takes starting with "and in that case"
  • Optional: Checker reports that the background noise in this recording is a little loud. I didn't find it distracting, but in case you're up for learning a new editing trick, here's a video on Noise Reduction. I use it on nearly all my recordings, since my computer fan is noisy. :lol:
LuellaMargaret

Post by LuellaMargaret »

I will also take Chapter 19.

Thanks!
"It's snowing still. AND freezing. However", (brightening up a little), "we haven't had an earthquake lately". - Eeyore
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

LuellaMargaret wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 1:38 pm I will also take Chapter 19.
Chapter 19 is also assigned! :wink:
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

Alright, and here are your PL notes!
  • At about 4:11 in the recording, I hear a couple of re-takes starting with "and in that case"
  • Optional: Checker reports that the background noise in this recording is a little loud. I didn't find it distracting, but in case you're up for learning a new editing trick, here's a video on Noise Reduction. I use it on nearly all my recordings, since my computer fan is noisy. :lol:
[/quote]

Got that edit done, sorry about missing that!😆 I know, I noticed the background noise when I put it into Checker after I sent it to you. Thanks for that video - I have been doing that every recording but I think I know what made it a little more noisy this time and I'll try to get around that next time. So, I think I'll leave it as is because when I tried to do more noise reduction it brought the volume too low.

24:24
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

gracesilvey wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 2:40 pm Got that edit done, sorry about missing that!😆 I know, I noticed the background noise when I put it into Checker after I sent it to you. Thanks for that video - I have been doing that every recording but I think I know what made it a little more noisy this time and I'll try to get around that next time. So, I think I'll leave it as is because when I tried to do more noise reduction it brought the volume too low.

24:24
Not a problem! I've had another listen around that spot, which is well edited. Since the noise change was only a suggestion, I'll update the Magic Window to: PL OK! :thumbs: