[SOLO] The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine - dc

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
AlbaXYZ

Post by AlbaXYZ »

craigdav1 wrote: May 21st, 2024, 5:48 pm Alba,
When this book is "published" you will be listed as the DPL. What name should we display? It could be a real name, based on a real name or a fictional name.
Dave (My display name is DaveC)
Hello Dave - Alba should be fine :) I want to stay anonymous
---
I exclusively do proof listening.
Languages I can PL on, in order of preference: EN, FR, DAN, TL, CEB

Thanks,
Alba
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Thanks, Alba. By all means do let me know if I leave out words, even if they don't change the sense. I have inserted "Mr." at 18:16 on page 7. There will be another omitted word, however, in either Greek or Aramaic, which I have omitted simply because I don't know how to pronounce it. It's in a footnote, and I can't remember what chapter it's in. You need not point that one out since I can't correct it.

Now, going back to 11:05, I listened again to the whole passage on p. 4 about the Dukhoborsty. I see that the second reference, at 10:26, is to the Dukhoborsty's teachings, the "Dukhoborcheskaya," from which I omitted the fourth syllable. I have inserted it, and the word does not recur; all the rest of the references are to the sect itself, not their teachings. I think that the pronunciations are now all correct.

By the way, whenI chose this text, I did not realize that it was not searchable. So it would be useful if we both indicated not only the time marker but also the page number of the word when we call attention to a problem.

Thanks again,

Tom
Last edited by chymocles on May 22nd, 2024, 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Alba,
There was a delay in adding you as DPL. You now should be able to open the MW to change the status (e.g. PL OK) of audio files. All other comments on the files should be in this thread.
Dave
AlbaXYZ

Post by AlbaXYZ »

chymocles wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 5:45 am Thanks, Alba. By all means do let me know if I leave out words, even if they don't change the sense. I have inserted "Mr." at 18:16 on page 7. There will be another omitted word, however, in either Greek or Aramaic, which I have omitted simply because I don't know how to pronounce it. It's in a footnote, and I can't remember what chapter it's in. You need not point that one out since I can't correct it.

Now, going back to 11:05, I listened again to the whole passage on p. 4 about the Dukhoborsty. I see that the second reference, at 10:26, is to the Dukhoborsty's teachings, the "Dukhoborcheskaya," from which I omitted the fourth syllable. I have inserted it, and the word does not recur; all the rest of the references are to the sect itself, not their teachings. I think that the pronunciations are now all correct.

By the way, whenI chose this text, I did not realize that it was not searchable. So it would be useful if we both indicated not only the time marker but also the page number of the word when we call attention to a problem.

Thanks again,

Tom
Got it. I have another question.

[introduction]
at 20:20, [25/237, pdf] - I noticed that in the earlier pages, you were reading the referenced footnote, but on this page towards the bottom, after "to the full the fatal weakness of a priori philosophising.", you did not read it. Are you going to read them going forward and just missed this one or not at all?
at 26:58, [28/237, pdf] - "The latter, printed "Au bureau de l'impremérie, rue du Théâtre-Français, No. 4," - shouldn't you be reading this as "numéro quatre" instead of "number four", making it consistent with your French reading of all the French words?
at 27:04, [28/237, pdf] - "Thomas Paine, Citoyen et cultivateur de l'Amérique septentrionale," - you mispronounced septentrionale
at 27:30, [28/237, pdf] - "...and garden in the Fauborg St. Denis, No. 63" - this too, let me know if going forward these will be pronounced in english rather than french
at 37:25, [33/237, pdf] - "...that he put it into the post office at New York for Bache." - you dropped "office"
---

Thanks,
Alba
AlbaXYZ

Post by AlbaXYZ »

PL Notes

[Section 01]

at 16:35, (45/237, pdf) - "The Christian mythologists tell that their Satan..." - you inserted "us"
---

Thanks,
Alba
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

I see that I'm going to get the superior proofing that I want. I'll get started with the repair later today. For now, I will respond only to the "No. 4" and No. 63" issue. Notice that a few lines above the "No.4" there is a "No. 7" preceding the street name and that all the "No. 63" references occur without a context of the French language. For clarity and consistency, in a passage dealing with the geographical location of certain house numbers, I decided that the numbers should conform to the same pronunciation, especially since "no." is an English abbreviation as well as a French one. We are definitely on the same page in worrying about this matter, but I think it is a problem only with the "No. 4," so I prefer to let it alone.

Tom
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

I think I have corrected the other errors in the introduction and Section 1. Please spot-PL at approximately the places you originally noted:
[introduction]
at 20:20, [25/237, pdf] - I noticed that in the earlier pages, you were reading the referenced footnote, but on this page towards the bottom, after "to the full the fatal weakness of a priori philosophising.", you did not read it. Are you going to read them going forward and just missed this one or not at all?
at 26:58, [28/237, pdf] - "The latter, printed "Au bureau de l'impremérie, rue du Théâtre-Français, No. 4," - shouldn't you be reading this as "numéro quatre" instead of "number four", making it consistent with your French reading of all the French words?
at 27:04, [28/237, pdf] - "Thomas Paine, Citoyen et cultivateur de l'Amérique septentrionale," - you mispronounced septentrionale
at 27:30, [28/237, pdf] - "...and garden in the Fauborg St. Denis, No. 63" - this too, let me know if going forward these will be pronounced in english rather than french
at 37:25, [33/237, pdf] - "...that he put it into the post office at New York for Bache." - you dropped "office"
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/ageofreason_00_paine_128kb.mp3
[Section 01]

at 16:35, (45/237, pdf) - "The Christian mythologists tell that their Satan..." - you inserted "us"
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/ageofreason_01_paine_128kb.mp3

I am not able to interpret the page references, though. For instance, the omitted footnote appears for me on p. 8. I have tried to insert an image of the page I see, but it appears only as a question mark. The URL, if you can access it, is https://archive.org/details/agereasonbeinga00conwgoog/page/n24/mode/2up. I realize that Internet Archive is using a PDF file, but the numbers you have supplied don't correspond with what I have at my disposal. We must work this out somehow. Maybe Craig needs to intervene.

Thanks,

Tom
AlbaXYZ

Post by AlbaXYZ »

Hello Tom,

I believe you have been using the page numbers within the original scans itself... I was using the page numbers when opening the file via a pdf reader. The PDF that IA provides has a few extra pages but in total it is 237. I just look at the actual page number on the PDF reader because I am listening on a small-ish laptop screen and I zoom in on the text because I don't have a very good eye sight, so in consequence I don't easily see the native page number. I can revert to using the pages that's in the scanned pages, I apologize for not saying that early on, if you are not using the PDF to read I should definitely follow your lead. I'll do that on the next sections.
---

Thanks,
Alba
AlbaXYZ

Post by AlbaXYZ »

PL Notes

[Section 02 - Chapter VII-VIII]

at 05:37, pg 34 - you missed the footnote for "...with which more than half the Bible"
at 07:53, pg 35 - you repeated this part "and not admissible in any other kind of writing than poetry."
---

Thanks,
Alba
AlbaXYZ

Post by AlbaXYZ »

PL Notes

[Section 03 - Chapter IX-XII]

at 6:35, pg 48 - "and all the inferences they make are drawn..." - you said references
---

Thanks,
Alba
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

The corrections have been made to sections 2 and 3. And thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/ageofreason_02_paine_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/ageofreason_03_paine_128kb.mp3

I have adjusted the timing in the MW.

Tom
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

The fourth section is ready to hear:

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/ageofreason_04_paine_128kb.mp3

Pretty dry.

Tom
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Having come to the end of the first part of Paine's work, I thought it best to return to the opening of each section and announce that this was in fact only part 1 of the entire work. That has changed the timing slightly, so I have corrected it in the MW. You may care to spot-PL the openings to sections 1-3.

Tom
AlbaXYZ

Post by AlbaXYZ »

chymocles wrote: May 26th, 2024, 2:41 pm Having come to the end of the first part of Paine's work, I thought it best to return to the opening of each section and announce that this was in fact only part 1 of the entire work. That has changed the timing slightly, so I have corrected it in the MW. You may care to spot-PL the openings to sections 1-3.

Tom
Copy that. I am away until Tuesday... I'll spot check by then :D

So this is what I did with the last one I PL'd: if the entire paragraph is in English I'll allow anglicized pronunciation of French names (like Lanthenas), and if it's nested within a French one that's when I'll keep it consistent with French.

À plus tard.
---

Thanks,
Alba