DR Scene & Story Collection 5 - rr

Plays and other dramatic works
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, countess, and thank you, Inkell :9:
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

Rapunzelina wrote: May 10th, 2024, 9:39 am Thank you, countess, and thank you, Inkell :9:
Here is my recording of Mrs. Mann:
https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/drcollection5_olivertwist_mrsmann.mp3 - 3:06
I was surprised at how hard it is to read a character which is speaking with bad grammar, I kept on was subconsciously replacing all the bad grammar with better grammar as I was recording the lines! :lol: :lol:

~ The Countess
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Thank you.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Reading characters with bad grammar is half the fun in dramatic readings! Where else can you get away with using bad grammar :lol:

Thank you, Countess, PL OK! :clap:
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Rapunzelina wrote: May 10th, 2024, 4:16 pm Where else can you get away with using bad grammar :lol:
They seem to be pretty forgiving at my house! Else, I'd have been kicked out long ago! :lol:
If I were you I'd claim a Gold-Killer role. Just sayin'
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

Rapunzelina wrote: May 10th, 2024, 4:16 pm Reading characters with bad grammar is half the fun in dramatic readings! Where else can you get away with using bad grammar :lol:

Thank you, Countess, PL OK! :clap:
True! :lol: 8-)

~ The Countess
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

MW updated, thank you. :thumbs:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Sherlock Holmes in the Speckled Band was read very well; there are only a couple things with word precision:
11:03 The word "very" in the phrase "he has the very strongest motives" is absent.
15:04 "That" was said instead of "this".
17:13 "that" is missing in the phrase "that I have seen enough"
21:38: The phrasing in the script says "when a doctor does go wrong", the recording said something different.
24:43 The word "have" was missing from the phrase "could not have come"
Otherwise great, thank you for being Sherlock!
File fixed and uploaded for Spot PL.

Note that your comment at 24:43 is confusing - I already hear the phrase "could not have come" in the file.

Please also note that the first post in this project does not require word perfect readings. You need to change that if you are going to PL like this.
Proof Listening: Unless otherwise noted, the PL level is "Standard".
Someone will check the technical specs of your recording, will follow along to make sure that each of your lines can be heard, and will ask you to fix any mistakes that materially change the meaning of your line.
Thanks, Todd
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Thank you. :thumbs:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

redrun wrote: May 9th, 2024, 9:56 am
Winnifred wrote: May 9th, 2024, 9:24 am
redrun wrote: May 9th, 2024, 8:18 am Ready for PL:
This Finer Shadow - BrianFullen - Awaiting a volunteer to do the final PL!
Could I do the final PL even if I'm one of the readers? If so, I'm willing, and can probably get it done within a week.
Absolutely! We'll have you PL from the original text, as is the usual practice. Helps catch potential errors in the script, among other reasons.
I suppose I don't have that in my monster set of instructions. :hmm: :lol:
Can't remember where I picked up that bit of info, but I did know that. Makes sense. There's got to be some kind of check of the script somewhere.

This scene is well done. Congrats to all readers! I have just one change to suggest: At 4:23, I think a slightly longer pause between the paragraphs would sound better, to indicate the change in setting and characters. As it is now, there’s less than a second there, and it's a bit jarring.

Cheers,
Winnifred
From May 15-23, no access to Checker or to PL readings longer than 10 minutes
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Thank you. Marked as PL OK, with 1 optional note noted.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Winnifred wrote: May 11th, 2024, 2:40 pm
This scene is well done. Congrats to all readers! I have just one change to suggest: At 4:23, I think a slightly longer pause between the paragraphs would sound better, to indicate the change in setting and characters. As it is now, there’s less than a second there, and it's a bit jarring.

Cheers,
I've uploaded
https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/drsceneandstoryvol005_09_various_128kb.mp3
Now 21:22.46

The only other time I received this sort of feedback on a DR edit was from Lynette: she told me to slow the tempo on a character's lines and even gave me the percentage by which to do that and darn if she wasn't right. It made a huge difference. So did this suggestion of yours, Winnifred. I extended the gap to about a second and a half (like eternity in limbo on my internal clock - yeah, I'm way too antsy, truth be told). I think it's world's better now. Excellent feedback! I suppose it means that you're not just thinking to catch errors but are actually listening with an ear to making improvements. Good on you!

I also agree that the cast, including the Narrator, the Flower Lady, Cat and Deane are outstanding. The rest of the cast was kinda meh but maybe they'll get better with some practice.

Cheers.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

BrianFullen wrote: May 11th, 2024, 3:14 pm
Winnifred wrote: May 11th, 2024, 2:40 pm

Cheers,
I've uploaded
https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/drsceneandstoryvol005_09_various_128kb.mp3
Now 21:22.46

The only other time I received this sort of feedback on a DR edit was from Lynette: she told me to slow the tempo on a character's lines and even gave me the percentage by which to do that and darn if she wasn't right. It made a huge difference. So did this suggestion of yours, Winnifred. I extended the gap to about a second and a half (like eternity in limbo on my internal clock - yeah, I'm way too antsy, truth be told). I think it's world's better now. Excellent feedback! I suppose it means that you're not just thinking to catch errors but are actually listening with an ear to making improvements. Good on you!

I also agree that the cast, including the Narrator, the Flower Lady, Cat and Deane are outstanding. The rest of the cast was kinda meh but maybe they'll get better with some practice.

Cheers.
EDIT: I lied! I didn't mean to lie. And it was only a little lie. So, maybe I'll only have to do a quick and easy penance. Like a real short prayer or something. The lie is that Rapunzelina once told me to play down some background music on a play That made that scene a lot better. But that was a play and NOT a DR. So, it's not precisely a lie. Is it? :twisted:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Marked This Finer Shadow as ready for spot-PL. :D
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Rapunzelina wrote: May 10th, 2024, 9:39 am Thank you, countess, and thank you, Inkell :9:
Here you go-

Oliver: https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/drcollection5_olivertwist_olivertwist.mp3 (0 mins, 55 secs)