[Solo/Dark Romanticism]Chalk Face by Waldo Frank -jo

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Hi Winnifred,

Section 8 (7:24) is ready for PL @ https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chalkface_08_frank_128kb.mp3

Thank you,
Brian
If I were you I'd claim a Gold-Killer role. Just sayin'
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

G'day! Section 9, all six minutes and eleven seconds of it, is ready for PL, and may be found at https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chalkface_09_frank_128kb.mp3. Cheerio, then!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Sections 7, 8, and 9 are all PL OK.

He seems to be dropping hints here and there of his involvement in the murder ("I knew the room."... "Was I discovering, indeed? or was I appraising?")

Cheers,
Winnifred
From May 15-23, no access to Checker or to PL readings longer than 10 minutes
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Winnifred wrote: May 10th, 2024, 5:51 pm Sections 7, 8, and 9 are all PL OK.

He seems to be dropping hints here and there of his involvement in the murder ("I knew the room."... "Was I discovering, indeed? or was I appraising?")

Cheers,
Thank you. I'm gonna wait for more evidence. Every time I think I know who did it, someone throws me a curve ball. Why must they do that? :wink:
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Section 10, 5:34, is possibly every bit as clueless as its reader but maybe there's a bit of character development here - I mean it must have a reason for being! Right?
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chalkface_10_frank_128kb.mp3

EDIT: Yeah, I think for sure Part 1 - i is all about character exposition. John Mark seems to me to be one who enjoys challenging authority as represented by his father, police lieutenant Gavegan and now the physical scientist, Dr. Stein. Maybe Mark is narcissistic or maybe he's every bit as brilliant as he perhaps believes himself to be and unwilling to concede anything to others except, of course, Mildred. He's convinced that she's his equal, or so he says. We'll see. And then there's also the "oneness" thing still going on in the exchange between Stein and Mark. Chipping away at unity.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

BrianFullen wrote: May 10th, 2024, 7:10 pm Section 10, 5:34, is possibly every bit as clueless as its reader but maybe there's a bit of character development here - I mean it must have a reason for being! Right?
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chalkface_10_frank_128kb.mp3

EDIT: Yeah, I think for sure Part 1 - i is all about character exposition. John Mark seems to me to be one who enjoys challenging authority as represented by his father, police lieutenant Gavegan and now the physical scientist, Dr. Stein. Maybe Mark is narcissistic or maybe he's every bit as brilliant as he perhaps believes himself to be and unwilling to concede anything to others except, of course, Mildred. He's convinced that she's his equal, or so he says. We'll see. And then there's also the "oneness" thing still going on in the exchange between Stein and Mark. Chipping away at unity.
Probably character exposition, but I'll be darned if I'm any closer to getting a handle on this guy. Narcissistic? Definitely. Brilliant? I'm not so sure. I suspect he and Stein each mean something very different about this "oneness" thing, but both assume the other means the same thing as they do.

PL OK!

Cheers,
Winnifred
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Winnifred wrote: May 11th, 2024, 1:50 pm

PL OK!

Cheers,
Thank you. I might have one more section this weekend. But I'm not sure. Maybe tonight. Probably busy with non LV stuff tomorrow. Thanks for PL'ing these and for your insights.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

BrianFullen wrote: May 11th, 2024, 2:00 pm

PL OK!

Cheers,
Thank you. I might have one more section this weekend. But I'm not sure. Maybe tonight. Probably busy with non LV stuff tomorrow. Thanks for PL'ing these and for your insights.
Just a heads' up; I'll be away from May 15 to 23rd and won't have access to Checker or be able to PL readings longer than 10 minutes or so. I can probably tackle shorter ones with my iPad and phone, but I'll likely be slower than usual.

Cheers,
Winnifred
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Winnifred wrote: May 11th, 2024, 2:02 pm
BrianFullen wrote: May 11th, 2024, 2:00 pm

PL OK!

Cheers,
Just a heads' up; I'll be away from May 15 to 23rd and won't have access to Checker or be able to PL readings longer than 10 minutes or so. I can probably tackle shorter ones with my iPad and phone, but I'll likely be slower than usual.

Cheers,
Thank you for the heads up but please don't worry about me or this project. I appreciate the quick turn around but, honestly, it's not like I'm just starting out. Like you, I do try to PL in a timely fashion because I still remember what it was like two years ago when I started doing this stuff. Back then, I'd go nuts if I had to wait a week for feedback. I no longer feel that way about recordings I do. I still want to get the recording done by June 1st - I think that was the target at launch - but I can't promise I'll make it, for sure. I know you have lots of other irons in the fire. I've scaled back on collab launches since the start of the year but I still have two DR / Play projects on going. It's just impossible to predict when plays or DR's will wrap up. I think all projects of all types have their ebbs and flows. I'm caught up with content on Gold-Killer and Ring Cycle but who knows ... I could get avalanched at anytime. What I'm trying to say is I don't have to be your top priority by any means. PL on this, as your time permits, is AOK with me. Cheers.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

BrianFullen wrote: May 11th, 2024, 2:40 pm
Thank you for the heads up but please don't worry about me or this project. I appreciate the quick turn around but, honestly, it's not like I'm just starting out. Like you, I do try to PL in a timely fashion because I still remember what it was like two years ago when I started doing this stuff. Back then, I'd go nuts if I had to wait a week for feedback. I no longer feel that way about recordings I do. I still want to get the recording done by June 1st - I think that was the target at launch - but I can't promise I'll make it, for sure. I know you have lots of other irons in the fire. I've scaled back on collab launches since the start of the year but I still have two DR / Play projects on going. It's just impossible to predict when plays or DR's will wrap up. I think all projects of all types have their ebbs and flows. I'm caught up with content on Gold-Killer and Ring Cycle but who knows ... I could get avalanched at anytime. What I'm trying to say is I don't have to be your top priority by any means. PL on this, as your time permits, is AOK with me. Cheers.
Thanks, Brian. I suppose I've also reached that stage for my own readings. I remember when I first started, going to check multiple times a day to see if my submission had been PL'd yet. I'm over that now, but I do try to set deadlines to keep on top of PLing the work of others. I hate seeing them pile up, but I suppose that's just me. :lol:

I hadn't even remembered what your target date was, so no worries if you don't make it (besides, you can always go and change it at any time and no one will be any the wiser.)

Cheers,
Winnifred
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Section 11 (13:54) is ready for PL and can be found somewhere around https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chalkface_11_frank_128kb.mp3
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

BrianFullen wrote: May 11th, 2024, 9:33 pm Section 11 (13:54) is ready for PL and can be found somewhere around https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chalkface_11_frank_128kb.mp3
Section 11 is PL OK!

Cheers,
Winnifred
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Looks like this is ready to catalog, Brian, unless you want to expand the summary. (It's fine the way it is, just checking...) or do you plan to continue with parts 2 and 3?
Jo
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Winnifred wrote: May 12th, 2024, 4:07 pm
BrianFullen wrote: May 11th, 2024, 9:33 pm Section 11 (13:54) is ready for PL and can be found somewhere around https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chalkface_11_frank_128kb.mp3
Section 11 is PL OK!

Cheers,
:D Thank you
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: May 12th, 2024, 4:23 pm Looks like this is ready to catalog, Brian, unless you want to expand the summary. (It's fine the way it is, just checking...) or do you plan to continue with parts 2 and 3?
I'm so sorry, Jo, I should expand the MW now. I think I maybe have five more sections in Part 1 and two more each in Parts 2 and 3. I can be confusing even to myself.

For the Brief Summary I was only thinking of small changes:

"A young alienist exposes a murderer."

I think the word 'profiles' is a bit misleading. I only used that word in the first place thinking that might turn up more hits on internet searches - but he doesn't exactly do profiling. I hadn't thought to use 'alienist' originally because I forgot that the protagonist used that word to define his chosen specialty but now that I have read that he did refer to himself as an 'alienist' I'd like to use that because it might result in more hits from internet searches.

Yes, I'm a goofball. But I come by it honestly because all of my ancestors, so far as I know, were goofballs.

I'll add those sections to the MW. Thank you for bearing with me. You are the absolute best!

EDIT: I was wrong, again! Not the part about you being the absolute best, that's still true, but the part about Part 3, as it seems to have a "c" and a "d" in it. Fortunately (for me!) I recorded stubs for up to 25 sections so I should be alright for intros. Unfortunately (for Winnifred) I skimmed Part 2 (a) and I now see that I get to sing, as Mildred Fayn, Walsinghame, by Sir Walter Raleigh, to a medieval air. Poor Mildred. Poor, poor Winnifred. Yikes and double yikes.