[FIC/LOST RACE/ROMANCE] Centuries Apart by Edward T. Bouvé - tg

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
sweetnecromancy84

Post by sweetnecromancy84 »

Hello!

Section 1 is uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/centuriesapart_1_bouve128kb.mp3

16.23 duration

I hope it's read OK!

Best,
Lara
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks!

There are some variations in volume, and the reading would be improved with a few more pauses between thoughts/scenes, but it's certainly acceptable. :) Some of this stuff will come with practice and experience.

Three quick notes for this file:

16:20 - "Brooklyn" - there's a weird snap/pop in the word. It might need a re-record to take it out.

--There's only about 1/2 second of silence at the end. Please increase this to a total of 5 seconds.

--File name is close, but not quite right. :) Two-digit section number, and an underscore between "bouve" and 128kb. 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
sweetnecromancy84

TriciaG wrote: May 5th, 2024, 3:52 pm Thanks!

There are some variations in volume, and the reading would be improved with a few more pauses between thoughts/scenes, but it's certainly acceptable. :) Some of this stuff will come with practice and experience.

Three quick notes for this file:

16:20 - "Brooklyn" - there's a weird snap/pop in the word. It might need a re-record to take it out.

--There's only about 1/2 second of silence at the end. Please increase this to a total of 5 seconds.

--File name is close, but not quite right. :) Two-digit section number, and an underscore between "bouve" and 128kb. 8-)
Okay, thank you! I will try to make these changes.

Yes, I think I have gotten a little too into cutting out pauses. They were definitely there when I first recorded. :oops: :mrgreen:

Is it possible to record over a single word or phrase, such as 'Brooklyn,' after the recording is complete? I guess this is still not clear to me. :help: :hmm:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

sweetnecromancy84 wrote: May 7th, 2024, 5:16 pm Is it possible to record over a single word or phrase, such as 'Brooklyn,' after the recording is complete? I guess this is still not clear to me. :help: :hmm:
Usually recording just one word doesn't work very well. Your expression of it will probably be different, and with a word like "Brooklyn", the end of the word can run into the start of the next word since N is a sound that blends with the next one well. (The B at the start is a strong starting word, very abrupt. If the word was just "Brook", the K sound ends abruptly also, so one could probably substitute in just the one word.)

I didn't note whether Brooklyn was at the end or in the middle of the sentence. :? I suggest recording the whole sentence or natural phrase and pasting that new version in rather than just a word or two.

Or wait - that was in your end tag, wasn't it? Not in the text itself! So . . . that's some words of wisdom, but doesn't apply much in this case. :lol: If you said "Brooklyn, New York," or just "Brooklyn" with a definite ending to it, I would just re-record that in a new file, then highlight, copy, and paste it in to replace the one with the noise in it.

Make sense?
sweetnecromancy84

TriciaG wrote: May 7th, 2024, 5:45 pm
sweetnecromancy84 wrote: May 7th, 2024, 5:16 pm Is it possible to record over a single word or phrase, such as 'Brooklyn,' after the recording is complete? I guess this is still not clear to me. :help: :hmm:
Usually recording just one word doesn't work very well. Your expression of it will probably be different, and with a word like "Brooklyn", the end of the word can run into the start of the next word since N is a sound that blends with the next one well. (The B at the start is a strong starting word, very abrupt. If the word was just "Brook", the K sound ends abruptly also, so one could probably substitute in just the one word.)

I didn't note whether Brooklyn was at the end or in the middle of the sentence. :? I suggest recording the whole sentence or natural phrase and pasting that new version in rather than just a word or two.

Or wait - that was in your end tag, wasn't it? Not in the text itself! So . . . that's some words of wisdom, but doesn't apply much in this case. :lol: If you said "Brooklyn, New York," or just "Brooklyn" with a definite ending to it, I would just re-record that in a new file, then highlight, copy, and paste it in to replace the one with the noise in it.

Make sense?
Ok, thank you! Yes, I think so, although I didn't realize one could "copy and paste" words or phrases in the recording, post-recording. Gee, once I learn all the Audacity tricks, editing will become much easier!

All I know so far, is that if you "stop" your current recording, and "begin" another one, it appears as Audio 1 #2, on the same line, if that makes sense. But that isn't much help. Is it possible to record an "Audio 1 #2", and then "paste" it to the end of my recording, after "deleting" my sign-off, to correct the poppy "Brooklyn"? I am not sure how to do this. But once I do, can I also use this trick to re-record sections, and "paste" them "within" the recording, say somewhere in the middle?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

In this case, since the blip is at the end of the recording, you could just delete from it until the end and re-record that portion (along with the 5 seconds end silence). So yes.

For in other parts of the recording, you can set your "cursor" (the vertical line that shows where you are in the recording), then hold down the Shift key while starting the recording (I'm not sure if you click the Record button or press R). This will start your recording in a new track directly below the original track. Then you can cut/copy and paste right there, close to the audio you want to replace.

Regarding all the little tracks after stopping and restarting, this thread might help: viewtopic.php?t=102513 (At least, the first couple posts before those of us with old versions of Audacity got involved.) ;)
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Checking in. I'm still alive!
I have Section 16 recorded, and partially edited. It's just taking a lot longer than I like.
This, of course, goes for the other project we've been working on.
On the good side, our renovation is progressing and our sixth child just graduated from College!
Like a story that we wish was never ending, we know sometime we must reach the final page. Still we carry on just pretending that there'll always be one more book to go. - Fading Lights, Genesis
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No worries. Thanks for the check-in!
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

I guess that was what I needed. Found myself with an evening to myself.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/centuriesapart_16_bouve_128kb.mp3
There's Section 16. 22:10.
Like a story that we wish was never ending, we know sometime we must reach the final page. Still we carry on just pretending that there'll always be one more book to go. - Fading Lights, Genesis
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Keratak wrote: May 13th, 2024, 7:44 pm I guess that was what I needed. Found myself with an evening to myself.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/centuriesapart_16_bouve_128kb.mp3
There's Section 16. 22:10.
Thank you - PL OK!