COMPLETE Beyond Rope and Fence by David Grew - kd

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
hackimoto

Post by hackimoto »

Beyond Rope and Fence, by David Grew (1887 - 1971)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/beyond-rope-and-fence-by-david-grew/

Volunteers outside the USA: David Grew died in 1971. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
As ranchers in Alberta, Canada release their horses into the wild to graze through the winter, one horse struggles to retain her independence from man and lead her herd to freedom in the open wilds. (Summary by Aaron Hackett)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/63745/pg63745-images.html

Target completion date: 2024-05-20

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Nature & Animal Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: western, horses, xenofiction

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Beyond Rope and Fence. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Beyond Rope and Fence, by David Grew. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Beyond Rope and Fence, by David Grew. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Beyond Rope and Fence, by David Grew."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: beyondropeandfence_##_grew_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. beyondropeandfence_01_grew_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: KiltedDragon

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
hackimoto

Post by hackimoto »

I've already recorded all chapters and done the editing but still need to add the intros. I was learning a lot about noise reduction throughout the project so some chapters can be rerecorded if you think they sound bad.
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

I will MC for you. MW is all set up. Let's see if a DPL will come along.
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
Apophennec

Post by Apophennec »

I can DPL this for you
"She Died. I was saved." - No Longer Human, Osamu Dazai
"...when you have come to babylon you will remain there for many years, for a long time...after that I will bring you away from there in peace..."
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Barry
My Recordings
hackimoto

Post by hackimoto »

Ok I think I got that figured out.
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

hackimoto wrote: May 13th, 2024, 7:12 pm Ok I think I got that figured out.
:thumbs: Moving to Going Solo.
Barry
My Recordings
Apophennec

Post by Apophennec »

Section 0. Foreword - PL Notes:
Currently 5s silence at the beginning, as opposed to 0.5-1s
00:48: should be "...to roam over unsheltered space *and* are obliged to dig down..."
00:52: should be "...not only survive the severest winters..."
01:42-01:45: 3s gap between paragraphs, trim down
at the end: "End of Section 1" as opposed to Section 0

Section 1. Chapter 1 PL Notes:
05:20: Heard *There*, should be: "*Where* during the ages, the elements..."
06:30: Repeat: "...the frantic mothers..." x2
09:11: Repeat: "Her sides were still throbbing violently..." x2
11:59: heard *clinging*, should be: "...and *clung* to her beloved sides..."
Need 5s silence at the end

Section 2. Chapter 2 PL Note:

Section 3. Chapter 3 PL Notes:
00:14-00:18: 4s gap, trim down
02:01: Heard *She*, should be: "*He* was apparently still sound asleep."
05:37: Extra word -> *tree*, should be: "...level bit of prairie to another hollow where..."

We'll get these PL OK and then I'll start the next batch.
"...when you have come to babylon you will remain there for many years, for a long time...after that I will bring you away from there in peace..."
hackimoto

Post by hackimoto »

Apophennec wrote: May 14th, 2024, 2:16 pm
Section 0. Foreword - PL Notes:
00:48: should be "...to roam over unsheltered space *and* are obliged to dig down..."
00:52: should be "...not only survive the severest winters..."
01:42-01:45: 3s gap between paragraphs, trim down
at the end: "End of Section 1" as opposed to Section 0

Section 1. Chapter 1 PL Notes:
05:20: Heard *There*, should be: "*Where* during the ages, the elements..."
06:30: Repeat: "...the frantic mothers..." x2
09:11: Repeat: "Her sides were still throbbing violently..." x2
11:59: heard *clinging*, should be: "...and *clung* to her beloved sides..."

Section 2. Chapter 2 PL Note:

Section 3. Chapter 3 PL Notes:
00:14-00:18: 4s gap, trim down
02:01: Heard *She*, should be: "*He* was apparently still sound asleep."
05:37: Extra word -> *tree*, should be: "...level bit of prairie to another hollow where..."

We'll get these PL OK and then I'll start the next batch.
I was actually thinking it was 5s at the beginning and at the end so they were all like that. I've gone through and trimmed the beginnings and also made all those other corrections and I'm reuploading all of it. I'm not all that computersmart so correct me if I'm wrong in thinking that I wouldn't need to paste the links to the reuploaded chapters again in the section compiler since they would have the same file names. Or should I do that anyway?
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

hackimoto wrote: May 15th, 2024, 12:32 am I was actually thinking it was 5s at the beginning and at the end so they were all like that. I've gone through and trimmed the beginnings and also made all those other corrections and I'm reuploading all of it. I'm not all that computersmart so correct me if I'm wrong in thinking that I wouldn't need to paste the links to the reuploaded chapters again in the section compiler since they would have the same file names. Or should I do that anyway?
You are correct; you don't need to paste the links for the new files in the MW since they have the same file name. The old files are automatically renamed behind the scenes so you don't have to worry about it.
Barry
My Recordings
Apophennec

Post by Apophennec »

hackimoto wrote: May 13th, 2024, 3:15 pm I was actually thinking it was 5s at the beginning and at the end so they were all like that. I've gone through and trimmed the beginnings and also made all those other corrections and I'm reuploading all of it. I'm not all that computersmart so correct me if I'm wrong in thinking that I wouldn't need to paste the links to the reuploaded chapters again in the section compiler since they would have the same file names. Or should I do that anyway?
Sorry, didn't realize they were ready; all 4 sections are PL OK now :birthday: I'll have some more ready either later today or tomorrow.
Apophennec

Post by Apophennec »

Chapter 4 PL Notes:
02:30-2:34: small gap
02:47-2:50: small gap
05:45: random noise
06:48-6:51: small gap

Chapter 5 PL Notes:
06:28 "black one moment and white the nex-" next slightly cut off

Chapter 6 is PL OK :birthday:
hackimoto

Post by hackimoto »

Chapters 4 and 5 fixed and reuploaded.
Apophennec

Post by Apophennec »

hackimoto wrote: May 16th, 2024, 8:08 pm Chapters 4 and 5 fixed and reuploaded.
Perfect :birthday:

Here's 7-11. I'll do 12/13 tomorrow and then the last two on Sunday :)

chapter 7 pl notes:
09:23: missing part, "**Ducks came in great numbers**, returning from their sojourns into the land of motherhood..."
12:46: repeat, "she was afraid"

chapter 8 pl notes:
02:01: felt a bit akward "and farther behind*...* growing smaller and smaller in the distance."

chapter 9 pl notes:
02:53: repeat, "worried her even as the growing certainty that these were her old companions drew her toward them."
05:01: heard "but morning..." should be "by morning..."

chapter 10 pl note:
02:03-02:06: small gap

chapter 11 pl notes:
need 0.5-1s silence at the beginning
04:35: missing part, "...without having touched her **but she lifted a hoof to strike him** and thus pulling...