[GROUP] The Footpath Way: An Anthology for Walkers - lt

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
vviera

Post by vviera »

tshoes76 wrote: May 8th, 2024, 9:13 am Sorry, I should have said, I’d like to read Sections 3, 4 and 5 - the entire essay by Thoreau.
You bet! I've just assigned it. It's always nice to have related sections read by one person, but of course it doesn't always happen.
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
tshoes76

Post by tshoes76 »

Here is Section 3 “Walking, and the Wild,” Part 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/footpathway_3_belloc_128kb.mp3

Duration: 25:05
vviera

Post by vviera »

tshoes76 wrote: May 8th, 2024, 4:14 pm Here is Section 3 “Walking, and the Wild,” Part 1

Wow! Fast! That's wonderful. In the MW for PL.

Cheers, VERLA
ContinentalDrifter

Post by ContinentalDrifter »

I would like to claim and read "Song of the Open Road" by Walt Whitman. This would be my first contribution to LibriVox.

Should I say something about myself? I'm an American who's lived in Germany, England, and now France. For a living, I mainly helped non-scientists understand research and innovation, including eight years on public TV and radio in New Jersey. Long ago I studied and taught literature, mainly American, and did some amateur acting, mainly Shakespeare. Much of what I do now, in retirement, involves writing, recording, and performing songs. I discovered LibriVox initially because I like to listen to books at bedtime, but I've been so impressed with the selections and the quality of the readings that I now listen during the day -- I walk almost everywhere.

I would like to start with "Song of the Open Road" because I read part of it at the wedding of a very good friend, recently deceased.
vviera

Post by vviera »

ContinentalDrifter wrote: May 9th, 2024, 1:32 pm I would like to claim and read "Song of the Open Road" by Walt Whitman. This would be my first contribution to LibriVox.

Should I say something about myself? I'm an American who's lived in Germany, England, and now France. For a living, I mainly helped non-scientists understand research and innovation, including eight years on public TV and radio in New Jersey. Long ago I studied and taught literature, mainly American, and did some amateur acting, mainly Shakespeare. Much of what I do now, in retirement, involves writing, recording, and performing songs. I discovered LibriVox initially because I like to listen to books at bedtime, but I've been so impressed with the selections and the quality of the readings that I now listen during the day -- I walk almost everywhere.

I would like to start with "Song of the Open Road" because I read part of it at the wedding of a very good friend, recently deceased.
Hi ContinentalDrifter, and welcome to Librivox! It sounds like this reading would be very meaningful for you. That's beautiful. Here's some info to get started:

I recommend that you repost the paragraph about yourself over in the New Here? Introduce Yourself!forum.

Before you are assigned a section, you need to do two things:
1) Submit your 1-minute test and get it approved. It's not an audition - just a chance to make sure that all the technical settings you're using when recording match Librivox requirements.
2) Let me know what name you would like to be listed under in the catalog. It can be your username, your real name, or a nickname of your choice.

If you haven’t yet seen it, take a look at the Newbie Guide to Recording. It will orient you to the whole process.

I've reserved this section for you for a week, so it won't get assigned to anybody else. Just post here again after your test is approved, and I'll officially assign it.

Many of our readers come, like yourself, as longtime listeners who now want to contribute. We're glad you came!

Cheers, VERLA
tshoes76

Post by tshoes76 »

Here is Section 4, “Walking, and the Wild,” Part 2.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/footpathway_4_belloc_128kb.mp3

Duration: 23:33
vviera

Post by vviera »

tshoes76 wrote: May 9th, 2024, 4:17 pm Here is Section 4, “Walking, and the Wild,” Part 2.

Thank you! In the MW for PL.

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

tshoes76 wrote: May 9th, 2024, 4:17 pm Here is Section 4, “Walking, and the Wild,” Part 2.

I just noticed you gave your file names single digit section numbers (3 and 4). We need those with a leading zero, as 03,04,05 (so they sequence themselves correctly with 10 and above).

Please save 05 with that, but we won't ask you to rename and reupload 03 and 04 unless there are additional PL notes.

Cheers, VERLA
tshoes76

Post by tshoes76 »

Verla, saw your note about two-digit numbers … I was wondering about that … I will do that in the future, thanks!
jenno

Post by jenno »

May i claim chapter 11 please ?

Jennifer
vviera

Post by vviera »

jenno wrote: May 9th, 2024, 8:00 pm May i claim chapter 11 please ?

Jennifer
HI, Jennifer. You've been assigned :)

Cheers, VERLA
tshoes76

Post by tshoes76 »

Here is Section 5, Walking, and the Wild, Part 3

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/footpathway_05_belloc_128kb.mp3

Duration: 23:52

(I uploaded this first with a single-digit section number, then re-uploaded it with a corrected filename. Other than that the uploads are identical)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

tshoes76 wrote: May 8th, 2024, 4:14 pm Here is Section 3 “Walking, and the Wild,” Part 1

Hi Tom,

Very nicely read indeed! You have a lovely soothing voice. Just a couple of corrections to request (and one suggestion to offer).
  • At 18:26, there’s a rather long pause (about 3 seconds), after the word “parabola” (almost as if you paused to consider whether you’d pronounced that word right before you proceeded :D ). You might want to reduce that silence down to a second or so.
  • Your closing silence is a bit too short, at 4 seconds. Can you please add one more second?
  • A suggestion: I notice some brushing sounds and faint plosives (pops) on your P sounds. You could eliminate those by speaking a bit farther away from your mic, to one side rather than straight into it, at a distance of about 6 inches. You might have to increase the gain a bit to compensate if it reduces your volume too much.
Thanks,
Winnifred
From May 15-23, no access to Checker or to PL readings longer than 10 minutes

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
The First Sir Percy (Scarlet Pimpernel prequel)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

vviera wrote: May 9th, 2024, 4:27 pm

I just noticed you gave your file names single digit section numbers (3 and 4). We need those with a leading zero, as 03,04,05 (so they sequence themselves correctly with 10 and above).

Please save 05 with that, but we won't ask you to rename and reupload 03 and 04 unless there are additional PL notes.
Section 4 is nicely read as well. A couple of changes needed:
  • At 11:03, I hear “I derive more of my substance from the swamps which surround my native town,..” But the text reads: “I derive more of my subsistence from the swamps which surround my native town,..” As that changes the meaning, I think it needs to be corrected.
  • Your closing silence is only about 3 1/2 seconds. Please bump that up to 5 seconds.
Thanks,
Winnifred
From May 15-23, no access to Checker or to PL readings longer than 10 minutes

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
The First Sir Percy (Scarlet Pimpernel prequel)
ehsanesque

Post by ehsanesque »

Can I read section 8. Thanks.