[FULL] Titus Andronicus by William Shakespeare - kit

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Finally got some PL-ing done.

Titus 4_1
0:34 "How now, Lavinia" sounds like, "Now, now." That's rather minor, I admit, so I'll leave it to your discretion whether or not it should be changed.
2:43 I could be wrong, but weren't we going to use the hard-C sound for "Chiron?" This is the soft-C. If we're going with the soft-C I should do my character list over again.

Titus 5_2
6:53 Hard-C for "Chiron" again. (see note for 4_1, 2:43)
8:09 The words, "And with your blood" are spoken twice, but they are only in the text once.
Also, see my question below about "Rapine."

Young Lucius 4_1
Perfect.

Tamora 5_2
Perfect. But see my question below about "Rapine."

One question further. I know we usually don't worry too much about pronouncing words differently, but I thought I'd better make mention of this. Sonia and Craig are pronouncing "Rapine" differently. Sonia says RAPE-ine and Craig says ra-PEEN.
Does this matter? I only ask as it is being used as a proper name (a disguise for Chiron). Just like the name Chiron above, I feel there should be some conformity, but what does everyone else think?

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: May 9th, 2024, 7:42 amOne question further. I know we usually don't worry too much about pronouncing words differently, but I thought I'd better make mention of this. Sonia and Craig are pronouncing "Rapine" differently. Sonia says RAPE-ine and Craig says ra-PEEN.
Craig is the native English speaker, I'm not, so I gladly change my faulty pronunciation of the word. Sorry...I thought that's the way it was pronounced, I guess I only ever read it in written text, and never heard it spoken.

Do you remember at what time stamp it was ?

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok I found the line, it's at 1:56, I only changed "rapine and murder", the rest stays the same, ready for Spot PL

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/titusandronicus_tamora_5_2.mp3
Recording time: 4:31 min.

Thanks

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

You know you should never trust my pronunciation!
In the UK we walk into a bar and David is sitting in the corner.
Hi Dave. Alright David. O'right Dai. How you Davvy.
Its not easy.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craigos wrote: May 9th, 2024, 11:18 am You know you should never trust my pronunciation!
In the UK we walk into a bar and David is sitting in the corner.
Hi Dave. Alright David. O'right Dai. How you Davvy.
Its not easy.
:lol: well I changed it now, it was a quick fix.

I guess I will never use that word in one of your pubs... :hmm:

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Sooooo I did a quick check and the word "rapine" is another word for "pillage" or "plunder" and the apparently correct British pronunciation (as I assume that's what was heard in Shakespeare's time) is RAP-ighn. An example can be found here: https://www.oed.com/dictionary/rapine_n?tl=true

Am I going to be a stickler and ask for that pronunciation to be used? Eh. :lol: It's such an archaic word to begin with that will the average listener care, since they probably won't know its meaning? Probably not. But if Sonia and Craig want to adhere to as much accuracy as possible, they are welcome to re-record their lines. And if they don't, I personally won't care.

But yes, I do want to iterate that we need to be consistent with character pronunciations, especially Chiron's. I do want Craig to re-record lines saying that name if they are incorrect, which goes for any other incorrect pronunciations of it.
Tomas Peter
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

I'm very happy to record any lines again. I'm sorry, I do tend to just go with instinctive pronounciation and I realise that's not always the most appropriate.
Cheers
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Sorry, I should have stated the times codes for the uses of "Rapine," but I wasn't sure if edits were needed.
Interesting that it refers to pillaging, since in the play, it does seem to refer to rape. But so many words have changed their meaning since then that maybe it did have that meaning originally.

I'll get started on recording Marcus in the next couple of days.

Brad
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Sorry, I should have stated the times codes for the uses of "Rapine," but I wasn't sure if edits were needed.
Interesting that it refers to pillaging, since in the play, it does seem to refer to rape. But so many words have changed their meaning since then that maybe it did have that meaning originally.

I'll get started on recording Marcus in the next couple of days.

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: May 9th, 2024, 1:26 pmSooooo I did a quick check and the word "rapine" is another word for "pillage" or "plunder" and the apparently correct British pronunciation (as I assume that's what was heard in Shakespeare's time) is RAP-ighn.
so I think Craig said it correctly and I now changed it to the correct version as well.

I also thought it would imply "rape", since that is what both men did, they raped and murdered. :hmm: The common expression "rape and pillage" (from the viking era presumably) also would imply that raping and pillaging went hand in hand back in the good old times...

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

The use of 'rapine' changes over the years as many words do I guess.

This is in one Thesaurus:

'''borrowed from Latin rapīna "forcible carrying off of property, seizure and carrying off of a woman," from rapere "to seize and carry off".'''

I just managed to fire up an old musical organ, that has numerous instrument settings. One of which is 'Trumpet'. Not perfect, but as a background noise, I think it will be fine and no risk of prosecution.

Cheers
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Craigos wrote: May 10th, 2024, 4:40 am The use of 'rapine' changes over the years as many words do I guess.

This is in one Thesaurus:

'''borrowed from Latin rapīna "forcible carrying off of property, seizure and carrying off of a woman," from rapere "to seize and carry off".'''

I just managed to fire up an old musical organ, that has numerous instrument settings. One of which is 'Trumpet'. Not perfect, but as a background noise, I think it will be fine and no risk of prosecution.

Cheers
I have a computer program called Muscore that I use to create music files. I created a unique trumpet flourish that you can use if you like: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/Trumpet_Flourish02.mp3
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

ktaylor07 wrote: I have a computer program called Muscore that I use to create music files. I created a unique trumpet flourish that you can use if you like: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/Trumpet_Flourish02.mp3
Thanks. Definately better than my attempts. I'll use that.
Cheers
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Craigos wrote: May 12th, 2024, 5:26 am
ktaylor07 wrote: I have a computer program called Muscore that I use to create music files. I created a unique trumpet flourish that you can use if you like: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/Trumpet_Flourish02.mp3
Thanks. Definately better than my attempts. I'll use that.
Cheers
Glad you liked it! :D :D
Craigos

Post by Craigos »