[SOLO]Dark Princess, by W.E.B. Du Bois-mas

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
vviera

Post by vviera »

LCaulkins wrote: May 9th, 2024, 7:13 am Sections 22 and 23 are both PL OK :thumbs:

That got a bit cheesy and melodramatic, didn't it? :lol: almost like: "Players gonna play." . . . I've had my fun, it's so glorious, but I can't stay with you, so go back to her. But, oh, I love you so much eternally. . . . In this stretch of the novel, I don't know which of the two gets more of my momentary scorn.
I'm mostly just bored of the monologues presented as conversations or letters. Hoping something actually starts to happen now.
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Ch. 24 is up :)

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Sec. 25 is up.

When I listened back to this, I felt I read in too much of a hurry. Not that I was speaking the words too fast, but the sentences often felt like they had too little space between them. boom.boom.boom.boom. sentence.sentence.sentence.sentence.

So I went back through and put in many spaces of around half a second to let the text breathe a little. Please let me know if there is too much space anywhere.

Maybe I'm rushing to finish, because I am soooo done with this book!

Thanks much.

Cheers, VERLA
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 24 is PL OK :thumbs:

I'll pay particular attention to sentence pacing for you on the next one :)
~Lynette * - house's worst renovation chaos has past, computer working somewhat reliably again, so I'm catching things up fast as I can
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
vviera

Post by vviera »

LCaulkins wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 5:49 am Section 24 is PL OK :thumbs:

I'll pay particular attention to sentence pacing for you on the next one :)
Thank you!

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Sec. 26 is up. I've also done 28, but I don't want to spoil the ending for you like I did for myself :lol:

Cheers, VERLA
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi! Sections 25 and 26 are both PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs:

And your sentences flowed very nicely, so the extra bits of space you put in were successful (and not at all noticeable).
~Lynette * - house's worst renovation chaos has past, computer working somewhat reliably again, so I'm catching things up fast as I can
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
vviera

Post by vviera »

Last two sections up for PL !!!

Cheers, VERLA
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Sections 27 and 28 are both PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs:

So that's a wrap for you! Congratulations, Verla, it's a really nice addition for Du Bois works in our Catalog. :clap:
vviera

Post by vviera »

LCaulkins wrote: May 29th, 2024, 6:58 am Sections 27 and 28 are both PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs:

So that's a wrap for you! Congratulations, Verla, it's a really nice addition for Du Bois works in our Catalog. :clap:
Yay! And thank you so much for your PL work. This book is so much better because of it. Hope to see you soon. I did section 3 of the insomnia collection yesterday, but I won't do the remaining eight sections straight through. I love them, but it takes a particular type of patience to record those. When I need a break, I'll set up that Strange Voyage book.

Thanks again!

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: January 18th, 2024, 6:12 pm Verla
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
MaryAnn,
This is ready for cataloging! Here are the summary and tags.

This story begins as Matthew Towns, a brilliant young Black medical student, is dismissed from medical school because the white board has decided white women are not appropriate patients for a Black doctor. In disgust with his own country, Matthew leaves America and goes to Europe. While in Berlin, his life is changed forever when he attends a meeting of people who are interested in uplifting all the “darker races” of the world. He begins from there a four-year journey that sees his fate entwined with the Dark Princess, who is royalty from India. In this story from 1928, Du Bois recounts Towns’ adventures, but also uses events, conversations, and letters between the characters to explore racial and social justice issues.

Librivox
Audiobooks
Black history
Black literature
Racial justice
Racism
African American literature
African Americans
Chicago

Thank you for the MC!

Cheers, VERLA