FULL[Poetry] Flowers of Evil by Baudelaire-ag

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

The Flowers of Evil, by Charles Baudelaire (1821 - 1867), translated by James Huneker (1857 - 1921)

Charles Baudelaire was a French poet whose work is described as combining an exoticism inherited from the Romantics with the Realism of other French writers of his time. The Flowers of Evil (Les Fleurs du mal) is a book of lyric poetry and his most famous work. In it he expresses the changing nature of beauty in the rapidly industrialising Paris caused by Haussmann's renovation of the city during the mid-19th century. He coined the term modernity to designate the fleeting experience of life in an urban metropolis, and the responsibility of artistic expression to capture that experience.

Les Fleurs du mal includes nearly all Baudelaire's poetry, written from 1840 until his death in August 1867. First published in 1857, it was important in the symbolist and modernist movements. Though it was extremely controversial upon publication, with six of its poems censored due to their immorality, it is now considered a major work of French poetry. The poems in Les Fleurs du mal frequently break with tradition, using suggestive images and unusual forms. They deal with themes relating to decadence and eroticism, particularly focusing on suffering and its relationship to original sin, disgust toward evil and oneself, obsession with death, and aspiration toward an ideal world. Les Fleurs du mal had a powerful influence on several notable French poets, including Paul Verlaine, Arthur Rimbaud, and Stéphane Mallarmé.

These English translations by James Huneker include a selection from the original French edition.

(Summary by Alan Mapstone and wikipedia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/36287

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 1 month of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Special - Standard PL, plus checking all tech specs including file names, volume, background noise, and plosives for new readers. For everyone, follow along with text and check to make sure any deviations from text don't affect rhyme, meter, or meaning.
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
T

Genres for the project: Poetry/Lyric

Keywords that describe the book: Poetry, French, Baudelaire

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section say:
"The Flowers of Evil. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Flowers of Evil, by Charles Baudelaire, translated by James Huneker. Section Title."
At end of recording say:
"End of poem." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name."]
For subsequent sections say:
" Title of Poem by Charles Baudelaire. Read for Librivox.org by your name."
At end of recording say:
"End of poem. This recording is in the Public Domain."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Flowers of Evil, by Charles Baudelaire, translated by James Huneker."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: flowersofevil_##_baudelaire_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. flowersofevil_01_baudelaire_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by alanmapstone on May 20th, 2024, 2:15 am, edited 13 times in total.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

There is a recording of Flowers of Evil in the catalogue but this one will use a different translation that has a slightly different set of poems.

I will BC and DPL
I will need the good offices of an MC :help:
Alan
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Alan,
I'll MC this for you.
Thanks,
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

alg1001 wrote: May 9th, 2024, 4:35 am Hi Alan,
I'll MC this for you.
Thanks,
Amy
Thank you Amy, that was very quick :lol:

Edit: MW filled and we are ready to go!
Last edited by alanmapstone on May 9th, 2024, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 4, please.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

KevinS wrote: May 9th, 2024, 8:44 am Section 4, please.
Thanks Kevin, glad to have you involved in this one as well :lol:
Alan
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 4

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/flowersofevil_04_baudelaire_128kb.mp3 (1:25)

You and I seem to have the same poetic interests. I read Baudelaire, in translation, at 16 or so.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

KevinS wrote: May 9th, 2024, 12:32 pm Section 4
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/flowersofevil_04_baudelaire_128kb.mp3 (1:25)
You and I seem to have the same poetic interests. I read Baudelaire, in translation, at 16 or so.
Our first submission, thanks Kevin :wink:

I have not actually read Baudelaire, either in English or French, but this seemed a good way to find out more. I intend to attempt reading some of poems in the original after I have recorded or PLed them.
Alan
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I have read this collection in a Greek translation, and there is a PD publication, so your project, Alan, may inspire me to solo that soon. Maybe :D
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Over to Short Works.
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Stunning

Post by Stunning »

I'll claim sections 5, 19, 21, and 25
:D

Beauty
Sonnet of Autumn
The Ghost
The Owls
More than looking good, we're looking STUNNING
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

alg1001 wrote: May 9th, 2024, 5:36 pm Over to Short Works.
:thumbs:
Alan
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Stunning wrote: May 9th, 2024, 6:34 pm I'll claim sections 5, 19, 21, and 25
Beauty
Sonnet of Autumn
The Ghost
The Owls
Sections assigned, thank you!
Alan
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Rapunzelina wrote: May 9th, 2024, 2:13 pm I have read this collection in a Greek translation, and there is a PD publication, so your project, Alan, may inspire me to solo that soon. Maybe
Good Luck :wink:
I thought 49 sections was too many for a solo so I have make it a group recording (the French version in the catalogue has 150 sections).
These are famous poems so imagine they have been translated into many languages.
Alan
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

KevinS wrote: May 9th, 2024, 12:32 pm Section 4
Hi Kevin
PL notes for section 4:
please use the shorter intro/outro specified for "subsequent sections"
at 1.08 text is While the faint odours from green tamarisks blown but the word from is unclear
otherwise OK!
Alan