SOLO Galactic Patrol by E. E. Smith (version 2)-ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
jkevincoffin

Post by jkevincoffin »

SOLO Galactic Patrol by E. E. Smith (version 2), by E. E. Smith (1890 - 1965)

Volunteers outside the USA: E. E. Smith died in 1965. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
.The Lensman series is the excellent original grand-daddy space opera which heavily influenced the creators of Star Wars, Babylon 5, and Green Lantern, among many others. Similar to Star Wars, the first story to be produced (Galactic Patrol) is actually not the first in the chronology of the story, but is nevertheless recommended as the starting point for new readers. It is the introduction of the Galactic Patrol with their awesome Lensman police force, their mortal enemies the Boskonians, and the main protagonist of the story arc: the hero Kimball Kinnison. Galactic Patrol is a rip-roaring edge-of-your-seat mission-impossible adventure in deep space of the far future, with telepathy, space pirates, fantastic worlds and aliens, romance, plausible and fascinating hard science, and a fun sprinkling of anachronisms from 1930s America. (Summary by Kevin Coffin)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/68815

Target completion date: 2024-06-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: 1enzoCqQ
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._E._Smith (E. E. Smith)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 24
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known):
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Kevin Coffin
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: space opera, space pirates, lensman

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Galactic Patrol by E. E. Smith . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Galactic Patrol by E. E. Smith . This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of SOLO Galactic Patrol by E. E. Smith (version 2), by E. E. Smith."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: galacticpatrol2_##_smith_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. galacticpatrol2_01_smith_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: annise

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Could you please submit a 1 minute test as per your welcome email so you can get your recording settings right for us - it's much easier for you to resubmit a under 1 min sample than to rerecord a whole chapter.
You are on you own jumping straight into an over 9 hour solo with no LV experience - soloists run their project and there is quite a bit to learn everything - doing a test and then joining in a readers wanted project or adding something to a collection allows you to concentrate
on the recording process.

Anne
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

annise wrote: May 7th, 2024, 5:53 am Could you please submit a 1 minute test as per your welcome email so you can get your recording settings right for us - it's much easier for you to resubmit a under 1 min sample than to rerecord a whole chapter.
You are on you own jumping straight into an over 9 hour solo with no LV experience - soloists run their project and there is quite a bit to learn everything - doing a test and then joining in a readers wanted project or adding something to a collection allows you to concentrate

Anne
Hey Anne, this guy's a former Audible pro. I think he can handle a little EE Smith. :wink: I sent the link for the test already.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

OK - just didn't want them to join the volunteers who aim high and quit after multitudinous tries at the preface. I like folks to succeed :D
I'll set it up later - there are a few things in the template needing a fix.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Harley James is in as one of the authors - is this Doc. Smiths real name that I haven't met before ? Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

OK he's the reader of version 1 - you will need to write your own summary - you can wait till later if you want -Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

As the soloist, you're in charge of things, so here's all you need to know about the Magic Window:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

To gain access you'll need to set up your own password. Start with "Accessing the System – First Time Login" to create your password.
Once you have an MW password, you can use it for the uploader, too (forum name + MW password).

It's a lot of information, so please ask if anything is unclear or if you're having trouble creating your password. Basically, you fill in the Section titles, and whenever you upload a recording, you put the duration in the Notes field, enter the file url, and mark it Ready for PL in the last column. Then also post in the thread that you've added new files in the Magic Window, so that all project activity is recorded in the forum.

The section titles are difficult when there are no chapters - probably putting "Chapter 1" etc is the easiest although the text does use Roman Numerals - saying I,II,III,IV,V would be more correct but awkward, But you can say what you like just must say the section number . (What you put in the title field becomes the metadata for the catalogued project, the section number keeps the files playing in order.

Anne
jkevincoffin

Post by jkevincoffin »

annise wrote: May 8th, 2024, 2:56 am OK he's the reader of version 1 - you will need to write your own summary - you can wait till later if you want -Anne
Yes he's the version 1 reader. I will make my own summary no problem.
Where can I go back in and update the summary?
Last edited by jkevincoffin on May 8th, 2024, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jkevincoffin

Post by jkevincoffin »

sjmarky wrote: May 7th, 2024, 10:27 am
annise wrote: May 7th, 2024, 5:53 am Could you please submit a 1 minute test as per your welcome email so you can get your recording settings right for us - it's much easier for you to resubmit a under 1 min sample than to rerecord a whole chapter.

Anne
Hey Anne, this guy's a former Audible pro. I think he can handle a little EE Smith. :wink: I sent the link for the test already.
Thanks guys. Yes I will submit a 1 minute test no prob.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

If you need a proof listener, I'm available!

~ Larry
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Where can I go back in and update the summary?
Just post a new one in the thread and I'll put it in the project database.
If you want to wait till you have read the book that is OK - you don't need to catch a proof listener (PL) - you already have a volunteer so the summary only needs to catch listeners :D

Happy reading - Anne
jkevincoffin

Post by jkevincoffin »

silverquill wrote: May 8th, 2024, 12:26 pm If you need a proof listener, I'm available!
Awesome, thanks
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Now the team is complete, we can move to Going Solo . The first post and the link I gave should explain most things, just ask if they don't.

Anne
jkevincoffin

Post by jkevincoffin »

Book summary:

The Lensman series is the excellent original grand-daddy space opera which heavily influenced the creators of Star Wars, Babylon 5, and Green Lantern, among many others. Similar to Star Wars, the first story to be produced (Galactic Patrol) is actually not the first in the chronology of the story, but is nevertheless recommended as the starting point for new readers. It is the introduction of the Galactic Patrol with their awesome Lensman police force, their mortal enemies the Boskonians, and the main protagonist of the story arc: the hero Kimball Kinnison. Galactic Patrol is a rip-roaring edge-of-your-seat mission-impossible adventure in deep space of the far future, with telepathy, space pirates, fantastic worlds and aliens, romance, plausible and fascinating hard science, and a fun sprinkling of anachronisms from 1930s America.

-Kevin Coffin
PS - this was my late father's favorite book series, and I plan to record the series in its entirety as a tribute to him.
jkevincoffin

Post by jkevincoffin »

First four Chapters uploaded and ready for PL. Thanks