[EXPLORERS]The Third Voyage of James Cook. Volume 1 -jo

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

section 10, very interesting. I saw a movie once where this dunking of people while crossing the bar was done. Indeed a very humiliating and mean tradition. :?

I have a few small pronunciation notes for your French section, which would make it easier to understand. But I know that pronunciation is optional, so feel free to ignore them, if you don't want this level of correction. But if you wish I can record you some soundfiles, in case my explanations are too difficult to understand.

> at 15:12: "l’idée qu’on ne sçauroit" – soh-ray instead of "squa"

> at 15:40: "elles furent" – "fur" instead of "fur-ren" (the last syllable is not voiced)

> at 15:47: "les plus éclairés furent" – e-clair-ray instead of "e-clair", the last é needs to be voiced / and same thing as before for "fur"

> at 15:54: stumble and repeat "dont ils reconnoissoient l’absurdité" – the syllables "oie on" are repeated before "l'absurdité"

> at 15:59: stumble and repeat "dès que le peuple parle" – one "le" can be cut / also: peu-ple, you say the English word "people" here

> at 16:02: " "il faut que le sage se mette à l’unison" – you forgot "le" and you say "de mettre" instead of "se mette", and "u-ni-son", you say "aleuson". This part is a bit difficult to understand

> at 17:22: stumble and repeat: "more westerly than the island of Fernando de Noronha" – the second "the" can be easily cut

thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and section 11 is perfectly PL ok :) thanks !

on with the next.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Section 12 is also PL ok. Wow...footnotes within footnotes :shock: Kudos for not getting entangled in them. :mrgreen:

Still interesting, though all the latitude/longitude calculations are completely puzzling me. Never really understood how they calculate that by clocks.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Section 13:

I was wondering whether the Bligh mentioned here is the same than the captain of the famous Bounty years later :hmm:

Another interesting description of Kerguelen island. Led me to find online pictures of this bridge arch they described here and indeed, it cannot be missed. Unfortunately part of it crumbled with time. :( here you can see an old picture and what it looks now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerguelen_Arch

As before, there are a few French pronunciation notes. Let me know if you prefer not to get those in future sections:

> at 4:37: " land opened off the Cape" – you say "appeared", not sure whether there is a precise nautical difference in meaning here :hmm: so I thought I'd mention it and let you decide

> at 18:33: "le 13 de Février, 1772" – "treizième", or simply "treize" (for dates) not "troisième"

> at 25:10: "ce mouillage" – mu-yage", not "mou-li-nage"

> at 26:00: "elle est couverte de verdure" – "cou-verte", not "cou-ver-ture"

> at 26:15: "une plage de sable" – you say "page"

> at 26:43: "que le pays" – pay-eeh" instead of "puay"

thanks

on more section and I'm up to date

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and section 14 is perfectly PL ok again :thumbs:

thanks, now looking forward to the rest

Sonia
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Section 15 uploaded:

https://librivox.org/ uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_15_cook_128kb.mp3 (25:36).

Despite all the recent activity on this project, I wanted to finish this one off so I did not forget where I was. I will now go back and deal with all the PL notes.

Sonia, I will be delighted to welcome you on board as DPL! I am grateful to find someone whose French is better than mine; I was shocked on some of the French passages to realize how rusty my French (never very good) has become since I fully retired at the end of January 2023.

Best regards,
Shipley

P.S. Yes, the Bligh mentioned is the famous Captain of the Mutiny on the Bounty. He was specifically chosen for the Bounty voyage because it was intended to ship breadfruit from modern Tahiti (Cook's Otaheite) to the West Indian Islands to provide a reliable source of carbohydrate for the workers there, and because of his experiences with Cook, Bligh was one of the few officers familiar with the Tahiti island group.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Shipley wrote: May 6th, 2024, 11:09 amSection 15 uploaded:
https://librivox.org/ uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_15_cook_128kb.mp3 (25:36).
I find it so tragic, each time they mention the animals being so tame that they let themselves be killed so easily :( couldn't they just let them live in peace ?

Another excellent section, and only one French word wrong:

> at 6:52: "elle a environ deux cents lieues" – you say "dix", which is a lot more
Sonia, I will be delighted to welcome you on board as DPL! I am grateful to find someone whose French is better than mine; I was shocked on some of the French passages to realize how rusty my French (never very good) has become since I fully retired at the end of January 2023.
oh I well noticed that you must have learnt French at some point. Most of the words are really very good and fluent and only the few I mentioned show indeed that it must be getting rusty a bit. It's normal. I learnt Italian at school, but after so many years of not being into it anymore, I don't trust myself with all the correct pronunciations either, even though I still understand it well.

thanks

Sonia
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Revised version of Section 8 uploaded, with one change noted in PL Notes madeL

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_08_cook_128kb.mp3 (28:41).
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Kitty wrote: May 6th, 2024, 1:19 am two small notes for section 9:

> at 33:41: "in phthisical complaints" – I hear "fistical". Tricky word indeed. The initial two letters "ph" are not voiced, it's simply pronounced "tisical", you can have a listen here: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/phthisic

> at 36:45: "which is above thirty years ago" – I hear "thirteen", could you maybe check once again ? Maybe my ears are tricking me...

interesting chapter on Teneriffe, which reminds me of my cruise voyage last summer. The tour guide also told us about the lost people of the Guanches, which are also mentioned here. 8-)

Sonia
Revised version of Section 9 uploaded, with two indicated changes made:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_09_cook_128kb.mp3 (40:01).

Just for the record, the Oxford English Dictionary (on-line) gives different "old" and "modern" English and US pronunciations of "phthisical" but since both modern pronunciations are as you gave it, I am happy to adopt your suggestion - frankly, I was entirely uncertain of the correct pronunciation when I made the original version.

Since Librivox lists me (correctly) as a resident of Massachusetts, I should perhaps note that I was born in Britain, and I have every intention of keeping Captain Cook to the British versions of words such as "lieutentant" and "schedule".

Tenerife must have become more sensitive to their history lately; I was there on two weeks honeymoon in 1977, and I heard no mention of the Guanches at the time.

Best regards,
Shipley
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Shipley wrote: May 7th, 2024, 7:05 amRevised version of Section 8 uploaded, with one change noted in PL Notes madeL
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_08_cook_128kb.mp3 (28:41).

Revised version of Section 9 uploaded, with two indicated changes made:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_09_cook_128kb.mp3 (40:01).
excellents edits and both are definitely PL ok now. :thumbs: thanks
Just for the record, the Oxford English Dictionary (on-line) gives different "old" and "modern" English and US pronunciations of "phthisical"
oh I wasn't aware of that, I only ever heard it as "tisical". And knowing that many Greek initial double letters are muted in English, I didn't think there would be another variant.
I was born in Britain, and I have every intention of keeping Captain Cook to the British versions of words such as "lieutentant" and "schedule".
that's totally fine with me as it's the way I learnt those pronunciations in school as well. We adopted the British pronunciation in school, probably because our teachers all studied in England rather than in America.
Tenerife must have become more sensitive to their history lately; I was there on two weeks honeymoon in 1977, and I heard no mention of the Guanches at the time.
we even visited a museum dedicated to them and saw the cave houses where they used to live. I think it's a big thing now in Tenerife to learn more about them. Apparently not much is known but there are studies.

Sonia
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Kitty wrote: May 7th, 2024, 12:38 am
Shipley wrote: May 6th, 2024, 11:09 amSection 15 uploaded:
I find it so tragic, each time they mention the animals being so tame that they let themselves be killed so easily :( couldn't they just let them live in peace ?

Another excellent section, and only one French word wrong:

> at 6:52: "elle a environ deux cents lieues" – you say "dix", which is a lot more
oh I well noticed that you must have learnt French at some point. Most of the words are really very good and fluent and only the few I mentioned show indeed that it must be getting rusty a bit. It's normal. I learnt Italian at school, but after so many years of not being into it anymore, I don't trust myself with all the correct pronunciations either, even though I still understand it well.

thanks

Sonia
Revised version of Section 15 uploaded, with one indicated correction made:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_15_cook_128kb.mp3 (25:37).

Good catch!

Best regards,
Shipley
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Shipley wrote: May 8th, 2024, 10:38 amRevised version of Section 15 uploaded, with one indicated correction made:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_15_cook_128kb.mp3 (25:37).
:thumbs: perfects edits and PL ok now, thanks

Sonia
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Section 16 uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_16_cook_128kb.mp3 (35:23).

A whole Section with no pesky French - Yah!

I will now go back and clean up Sections 10 and 13 before I proceed further.

In response to your post of May 6, working out the latitude and longitude from solar observation is fairly simple. If the maximum angle of the sun above the water (the time of which gives local sun noon) is E, at either equinox the latitude is 90 - E. At any other time of year, you need to apply a correction, varying from 0 to +/- 23.5 degrees, depending upon the date, and this correction is derived from a standard table which all ships carried.

As already noted, the time of the maximum angle of the sun above the water defines local sun noon. Compare this time with Greenwich time on your chronometer (in practice, you have to correct chronometer time, as Cook mentions in several places) to determine the difference. Say your local noon corresponds to 6 am at Greenwich, Multiply the six hour time difference by the 15 degrees which the Earth rotates in each hour, and your longitude is 90 degrees E.

Please do not ask me to explain the method for determining longitude by double observations of the sun and moon, without resort to a chronometer, which Cook used on his first voyage. I can see how this might theoretically be possible, but as to the actual calculations I have not the foggiest idea!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Shipley wrote: May 12th, 2024, 12:11 pmSection 16 uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_16_cook_128kb.mp3 (35:23).
A whole Section with no pesky French - Yah!
:lol: and it's perfectly PL ok right away. :thumbs:
In response to your post of May 6, working out the latitude and longitude from solar observation is fairly simple. If the maximum angle of the sun above the water (the time of which gives local sun noon) is E, at either equinox the latitude is 90 - E. At any other time of year, you need to apply a correction, varying from 0 to +/- 23.5 degrees, depending upon the date, and this correction is derived from a standard table which all ships carried.
well I still don't think that this sound easy. Luckily I don't need to be a navigator on a ship.

Thank you for yet another interesting chapter. I was wondering whether the pigs had survived and thrived on the island.

Sonia
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Kitty wrote: May 6th, 2024, 1:58 am section 10, very interesting. I saw a movie once where this dunking of people while crossing the bar was done. Indeed a very humiliating and mean tradition. :?

I have a few small pronunciation notes for your French section, which would make it easier to understand. But I know that pronunciation is optional, so feel free to ignore them, if you don't want this level of correction. But if you wish I can record you some soundfiles, in case my explanations are too difficult to understand.

> at 15:12: "l’idée qu’on ne sçauroit" – soh-ray instead of "squa"

> at 15:40: "elles furent" – "fur" instead of "fur-ren" (the last syllable is not voiced)

> at 15:47: "les plus éclairés furent" – e-clair-ray instead of "e-clair", the last é needs to be voiced / and same thing as before for "fur"

> at 15:54: stumble and repeat "dont ils reconnoissoient l’absurdité" – the syllables "oie on" are repeated before "l'absurdité"

> at 15:59: stumble and repeat "dès que le peuple parle" – one "le" can be cut / also: peu-ple, you say the English word "people" here

> at 16:02: " "il faut que le sage se mette à l’unison" – you forgot "le" and you say "de mettre" instead of "se mette", and "u-ni-son", you say "aleuson". This part is a bit difficult to understand

> at 17:22: stumble and repeat: "more westerly than the island of Fernando de Noronha" – the second "the" can be easily cut

thanks

Sonia
Revised version of Section 10 uploaded with (I hope) all the indicated corrections effected:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_10_cook_128kb.mp3 (28:39).

As you have probably already noticed, I normally correct by re-recording an entire phrase, normally between the two closest punctuation marks. In this case, I re-recorded with entire sentence starting with "Car, partout" at about 16:00, but (greatly daring) simply cut out the superfluous "the" in the last correction.

P.S. With regard to your last post, it would appear that many sailors agree with you. I understand that, these days, many "old salts" complain that the younger sailors rely far too much on the GPS (sat nav) and scarcely know which end of a sextant to point at the horizon.