Defeating your nemesis.

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
FiccionNarrada

Post by FiccionNarrada »

Well, the other day chatting on the forum the conversation came up and I thought it appropriate to put it in the Offt-topic in a dedicated thread. I can assume that all of us who record have encountered a “linguistic Nemesis” as an unintentional tongue twister hidden between paragraphs of a text.

What was the last Nemesis you defeated?

Sometimes I have encountered “very tricky” word combinations, but last time it has been with just one word, my native language is not English and the other day recording a section I had to repeat "Massachusets" until my brain short-circuited, I had to make myself a cup of tea, syllabify it in different ways and when I got in front of the microphone I had to repeat it at least 10 more times. Between the laughs I got from failing again and again and the blocking, I can say that "Massachusets" has been my latest defeated Nemesis.

:lol:
Nosce te ipsum
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There is a dedicated bloopers thread viewtopic.php?t=28787 where you may find comfort discovering you are not the only one. People who sound like it was all really easy and that they would never ever trip over anything or have multiple readings of the same word are there.

Anne
FiccionNarrada

Post by FiccionNarrada »

annise wrote: May 4th, 2024, 9:28 pm There is a dedicated bloopers thread viewtopic.php?t=28787 where you may find comfort discovering you are not the only one. People who sound like it was all really easy and that they would never ever trip over anything or have multiple readings of the same word are there.

Anne
Sorry for opening this topic. I use Google translate to communicate, I did not know the term "Blooper".

I can't find how to delete this topic, is it possible to do so? Although, it may remain here as a testimony of my mistakes. 🤦‍♂️😆😆😆

Sorry once again
Nosce te ipsum
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The forum software only allows you to delete your posts if there are no answers - but if you want I will delete the thread, but it is OK to leave it. Everyone was new once and most of us remember that. And although I try not to use my local slang terms here, I do forget sometimes.

Anne
FiccionNarrada

Post by FiccionNarrada »

annise wrote: May 5th, 2024, 5:57 am The forum software only allows you to delete your posts if there are no answers - but if you want I will delete the thread, but it is OK to leave it. Everyone was new once and most of us remember that. And although I try not to use my local slang terms here, I do forget sometimes.

Anne
I guess we are all a collection of hits and misses. So I have no objection to this topic remaining as a reminder of one of my mistakes, I am my failures too.

Best regards
Nosce te ipsum
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I had a good deal of trouble with "protestantism" a while back, and now I wish I had kept those alt-takes! :lol:

My current nemesis is "exclaimed". I can say it in a sentence easily enough, but when it's just narrating "<this character> exclaimed", then "<that character> exclaimed", for some reason it always comes out as "ess-glamed" or "ekssskklaimed". And if I just let it go at that, then it will bother me to no end when I go back to edit.
I'm defeating this ridiculous monster by reading the rest of the sentence too, then cutting the parts I don't need. If it works... :mrgreen:
FiccionNarrada

Post by FiccionNarrada »

redrun wrote: May 6th, 2024, 9:00 pm I had a good deal of trouble with "protestantism" a while back, and now I wish I had kept those alt-takes! :lol:

My current nemesis is "exclaimed". I can say it in a sentence easily enough, but when it's just narrating "<this character> exclaimed", then "<that character> exclaimed", for some reason it always comes out as "ess-glamed" or "ekssskklaimed". And if I just let it go at that, then it will bother me to no end when I go back to edit.
I'm defeating this ridiculous monster by reading the rest of the sentence too, then cutting the parts I don't need. If it works... :mrgreen:
The truth is that playing with cutting parts of a word surprised me how good the result can be, barely perceptible. Selecting the word to modify and pressing the key combination in Audacity (Ctrl + D) to move it to another track, then in another additional track below this one, put the correct part, spending a while moving it until it fits and then selecting both and in the menu "Tracks>Mix>Mix and generate" you can achieve a surprisingly acceptable result.

In my last section I made a mistake and instead of saying "between 1889 and 1890" I said: "Between 1889 and 1990", I made the cut from the first "1889" and it was perfect. It's amazing what you can do with the DAW.

P.S: I thought this topic was destined to the oblivion of irrelevant posts xD, I was surprised to see the notification. 🤙
Nosce te ipsum
Pigtools

Post by Pigtools »

one peculiar word pisses me of every time I try to pronounce it lol same with "failure" (I'm such a winner I can't pronounce failure :thumbs:)