Solo: The Thames to the Solent by Canal and Sea, by J. B. Dashwood-mas

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Veggrower wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 7:57 am Hi again,

Here's the next chapter for a PL, please. The boat passes from the River Wey to the Canal, with a few setbacks on the way :) .

Thanks,

Garth
Some pretty big setbacks. An enjoyable listen. And PL OK.

Do you know if the canals mentioned in this chapter have been restored? I know a lot of the canals have such as the Montgomery, but don't know anything about these. I suppose that is what the internet is for.
Veggrower

Post by Veggrower »

Hi - thanks for that PL :D

The Wey & Arun Canal (which Mr. Dashwood calls the Surrey & Sussex Canal) is still not open to through navigation, but since 1970 is gradually being restored by the Wey & Arun Canal Trust, and they run popular boat trips on parts that are in water. When I lived in Sussex I used to volunteer on the working parties, clearing away undergrowth etc. It was why I was interested in recording this book, which is believed to have been the last attempt by anyone to navigate the whole route before the canal was finally closed. The Trust's website is here:
https://weyarun.org.uk
The other old canal he mentions, the Portsmouth & Arundel Canal, leading to Chichester harbour, is unfortunately derelict, and there are only a few remains of it in places. It would have been really interesting had they been able to use the canal to continue their journey. I don't know of any plans to try and restore any parts of it.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Veggrower wrote: May 5th, 2024, 12:11 pm Hi - thanks for that PL :D

The Wey & Arun Canal (which Mr. Dashwood calls the Surrey & Sussex Canal) is still not open to through navigation, but since 1970 is gradually being restored by the Wey & Arun Canal Trust, and they run popular boat trips on parts that are in water. When I lived in Sussex I used to volunteer on the working parties, clearing away undergrowth etc. It was why I was interested in recording this book, which is believed to have been the last attempt by anyone to navigate the whole route before the canal was finally closed. The Trust's website is here:
https://weyarun.org.uk
The other old canal he mentions, the Portsmouth & Arundel Canal, leading to Chichester harbour, is unfortunately derelict, and there are only a few remains of it in places. It would have been really interesting had they been able to use the canal to continue their journey. I don't know of any plans to try and restore any parts of it.
Very interesting. I suppose the locks are probably the most expensive parts to restore/rebuild.

That is too bad about the Portsmouth and Arundel Canal. Do you know if the towpath is still walkable or not?

I have been on a couple of the canals. The Llangollen and I can't remember the name of the one through Birmingham. I think it would have been interesting to work on clearing the canals. Wasn't Prince Charles, as he was then, actively involved in restoration efforts?

Interesting piece of trivia about this book. Makes it a little more significant.
Veggrower

Post by Veggrower »

I looked up the route of the Portsmouth & Arundel Canal on the Ordnance Survey maps, and it seems as though almost the whole of its old towpath is a public right of way. A fascinating day's walk, I should think.
Prince Charles did officially open a section of a restored waterway in the Cotswolds area, in 2018, but I don't think he has been actively involved in restoration work.